Hey guys, i have decided to buy a new guitar, i am down to either the Epi LP 1960 Tribute PLus or the Epi LP PLus Top Pro, where i am getting them the Plustop is roughly $400 and the Tribute roughly $600, just want some opinions on theses, what would you get?

Also i am not gigging YET but i certainly will be in time, so what do you reckon?

Cheers guys
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
hmm. either can be good options. generally i would say that 600 is too much for an epi and 400 is definitely the sweet spot on value if you look around, that tribute has gibson pickups, locking tuners, and from teh pictures strap locks?

all of these are definitely 200 worth of features. so thats a tough call. my biggest gripe on my epi is locking tuners, better wiring, and i would like high end pups...that addresses most of that.

tough call, but i say the value is there for 600. especially for gigging as the locking tuners and strap locks are gigging friendly items.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Get the tribute. It's a very good guitar with lots of nice features. Don't forget they come in a nice case too.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Used Gibson LP studio
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tribute plus

Gibson-US pickups and hardcase included

now do the maths....
Quote by paruwi
Tribute plus

Gibson-US pickups and hardcase included

now do the maths....

Used Gibson LP studio, you get Gibson pickups and a real Gibson guitar. My math is much better

I have nothing against Epi at all, I have a G-400 that is a very nice guitar, but I would never pay new prices for the "higher-end" Epiphones. When you get to the $500ish range, you are in used Gibson LP territory
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Used Gibson LP studio, you get Gibson pickups and a real Gibson guitar. My math is much better

I have nothing against Epi at all, I have a G-400 that is a very nice guitar, but I would never pay new prices for the "higher-end" Epiphones. When you get to the $500ish range, you are in used Gibson LP territory

I would never buy a used 'entry level' Gibson for the price of a new Epi Tribute plus, which is 450 Euro over here

I have yet to find a new Gibson below 800 Euro with better fretends as my 88 Euro Epi SG-Junior or my 300 Euro Epi Nighthawk

an Epi Tribute plus should be compared with a Gibson Standard - and not with an half finished - non bound faded Studio..... just for the correct maths (apple to apple)

IMO of course
Last edited by paruwi at Jul 11, 2013,
Tribute Plus is definitely the way to go between the two if you can afford the extra price.

I'd take my Tribute Plus over almost every Gibson Studio I've ever tried, with the possible exception of a Future Tribute with the Min-E-Tune.
Owned the Tribute Plus and it's likely the only Epiphone I'd buy over again... The pickups are the selling feature and the case is a beauty. Great bang for the buck. It's still a heavy guitar and the materials are not as refined but for the money it's hard to argue.

I have a Gibson USA LP that I do like better, but not necessarily because it sounded better than the Tribute Plus. It's just finished better really. It also wasn't $600. Good luck with the trade!
very true...and i did have to pay 80 for a nice case for my guitar after the 400 i paid.

but yes for 600 i would also test out some used gibson studios. resale alone is worth your time testing them.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by paruwi
I would never buy a used 'entry level' Gibson for the price of a new Epi Tribute plus, which is 450 Euro over here

I have yet to find a new Gibson below 800 Euro with better fretends as my 88 Euro Epi SG-Junior or my 300 Euro Epi Nighthawk

an Epi Tribute plus should be compared with a Gibson Standard - and not with an half finished - non bound faded Studio..... just for the correct maths (apple to apple)

IMO of course

WTF

Where does your logic come from? You do realize that Gibson and Epiphone are the same company right. Epiphone is the low-end Gibson line, not a different company. It is just like LTD is the low-end ESP.

You really think that a low-end Epiphone Tribute is comparable to the Gibson Standard

Yes you can get Epiphones that are very nice and you can find Gibson's that are less than stellar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Stick some proper pickups into a high end epi and it will sound every bit as good as a Gibson, they're built well and look great. You'll just never have the prestige attached with a real Gibson (Or the resale value)
Quote by Robbgnarly
WTF

Where does your logic come from? You do realize that Gibson and Epiphone are the same company right. Epiphone is the low-end Gibson line, not a different company. It is just like LTD is the low-end ESP.

You really think that a low-end Epiphone Tribute is comparable to the Gibson Standard

Yes you can get Epiphones that are very nice and you can find Gibson's that are less than stellar.

WTF

Am I allowed to have my own opinion ?

or do members here have to agree with your opinion ?

Epi Tributes are NOT 'low end' Epis btw

I probably forgot more about Epiphone then you ever knew about the brand
Last edited by paruwi at Jul 12, 2013,
Quote by Bassface7
Stick some proper pickups into a high end epi and it will sound every bit as good as a Gibson, they're built well and look great. You'll just never have the prestige attached with a real Gibson (Or the resale value)

The Tribute plus comes stock with proper Gibson pickups
Quote by paruwi
WTF

Am I allowed to have my own opinion ?

or do members here have to agree with your opinion ?

Epi Tributes are NOT 'low end' Epis btw

I probably forgot more about Epiphone then you ever knew about the brand

Yes you can have an opinion.

Most members agree with my opinions

All most all Epiphones are Low-end guitars (price wise, except some very rare models which are MIA) Low-end guitars are sub $900

You mother must be proud of you because of your Epiphone knowledge
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes you can have an opinion.

Most members agree with my opinions

All most all Epiphones are Low-end guitars (price wise, except some very rare models which are MIA) Low-end guitars are sub $900

You mother must be proud of you because of your Epiphone knowledge

Be proud of the big agreement by most members

the replies in this thread are just the other way....
so keep on acting like the master of this daycare-center
the dumb ones may believe you and lick your dick

You just proved your own statement

I really don't understand why people come on these forums to willingly give wrong/bad advise. It just pisses me off
Last edited by paruwi at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by paruwi
Be proud of the big agreement by most members

You just proved your own statement

Wow aren't you just the cool guy when you get your ass handed to you

Go away and take your " it's equal to a Gibson standard, Epiphone and go play with the Agile guys who are also in denial.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Bassface7
Robbgnarly: Confusing opinion and fact since feb 2011

Not hardly I the facts I gave are what he was being a dick about.

I never said that Epiphones were bad, I stated that Epiphones are in fact low-end instruments.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I regret how dickish my statement came across -

Quote by Robbgnarly

That was more towards what i have a gripe with. I happen to think that Epi les pauls these days are near indiscernible from USA Gibsons in terms of feel and quality. You're paying for hardware, a logo and prestige imo.
Quote by Bassface7
I regret how dickish my statement came across -

That was more towards what i have a gripe with. I happen to think that Epi les pauls these days are near indiscernible from USA Gibsons in terms of feel and quality. You're paying for hardware, a logo and prestige imo.

I will agree to a certain point, but the Gibson is made of better materials. No that does not automatically make it the better guitar. The construction of the individual instrument is a huge deciding factor. But the fact it is made with arguably better quality woods and deff better electronics and hardware is my biggest point.

That alone gives the upper hand to the Gibson from the start.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate