Page 1 of 3
People make metal threads here, so I'm making a hip hop thread. Cuz I can.

Kanye West isn't just God's son reborn as a rapper, but he's also one of the most influential producers the genre has seen ever. His early beats have a signature sound. But what's his best?

This is my pick:

Jay Z - Lucifer
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
What part of "Cuz I can" don't ya understand?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by lolmnt
What part of "Cuz I can" don't ya understand?

all of it, im p dumb.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

A lot of people shit on 808s & Heartbreaks but it's got some super cool beats on it.

And Monster has one of the highest simplicity to movement ratios ever. Like, it's such a basic beat, but Kanye mastered the art of making you want to move within the confines of that simplicity.

Lost in the World is also brilliant.

I skipped his third album entirely, so I don't know much of that. I was sorta disillusioned with Kanye at the time because he wasn't the same humble soulful guy he was when he started, but when 808s came around I was pulled back in.
Quote by Amuro Jay
A lot of people shit on 808s & Heartbreaks but it's got some super cool beats on it.

And Monster has one of the highest simplicity to movement ratios ever. Like, it's such a basic beat, but Kanye mastered the art of making you want to move within the confines of that simplicity.

Lost in the World is also brilliant.

I skipped his third album entirely, so I don't know much of that. I was sorta disillusioned with Kanye at the time because he wasn't the same humble soulful guy he was when he started, but when 808s came around I was pulled back in.

his third album is Graduation, i think. it's excellent but it's not in my top 3, which is 808s, College Dropout, and MBDTF.
you're a stone fox
808s has some clunkers, but some good stuff. But since this is about his beats:

Get By - Talib Kweli
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Saint78

This. I remember riding the train to school listening to this song constantly. Plus his jaw being swollen and me sayin "dis nigga looks maaddd lot like popeye, son." ah, the olden days of an urban puerto rican youth as a brooklynite ghetto chip off the ole block.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
97% of ug listens has stopped listening to real music like led zepplin and acdc in favour of (c)rap like kanye west and nicky minaj

like this if your part of the 3% who knows what music is

I was going to say No Church In The Wild, but I don't think thats his beat. I don't listen to a whole lot of Kanye.
hey lolmnt can you submit this thread OP as an article so that I can boost my ban count with the heads of a thousand angry teenage metalheads
k thx
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by pbiggie
so lets talk about someone who isn't shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aesz_UDCm4c

O u no who j Dilla is? so do i since third grade lol
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I know it's not his best, but Runaway is one of my favorites period. The vibe of the whole thing is just ethereal almost. It's really well done.
Quote by lolmnt
O u no who j Dilla is? so do i since third grade lol

He has a point. There are plenty, plenty of people who make better beats than Kanye.
Aside from pretty much all of College Dropout, I'm going to say All of the Lights or Mercy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dqgr0wNyPo
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Okay, let's get technical here for a second. This is a guitar forum, okay. Does Kanye West play a guitar?

ron666
Quote by ron666
Okay, let's get technical here for a second. This is a guitar forum, okay. Does Kanye West play a guitar?

ron666

He employs guitarists to do that for him, like most pop singers throughout history.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Page 1 of 3