I'm having a Cube20XL amplifier and I want to get a distortion pedal just so I can easily switch between clean and distortion sound, and I also find the distortion mode from my amplifier sounds not so good. I'm deciding on getting a Metal Muff pedal, but I don't know if it would fit the amplifier well, as I tried using a MT-2 with my amplifier and it sounds really bad. So can any of you who owns (or used to own) a Cube20XL give me an idea of which distortion pedal would sound nice along with my amplifier? or should I better get a new amplifier instead? Thanks alot
MT-2's are kind of just bad.

Modeling amps don't usually take pedals well. A new amp would probably be better but I don't own a Cube so I can't speak from experience with them.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls

It has a footswitch jack; get any standard two button footswitch and it should work. No idea if it's momentary or latching, check the manual.
Quote by BladeSlinger
MT-2's are kind of just bad.

Modeling amps don't usually take pedals well. A new amp would probably be better but I don't own a Cube so I can't speak from experience with them.

The only place in town that sells them, demos Boss pedals through a Cube. The sound really good. Try one of those.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Quote by jameswilddev

It has a footswitch jack; get any standard two button footswitch and it should work. No idea if it's momentary or latching, check the manual.

This.

I tried distortion through my Microcube (that had JC clean model) and it sounded pretty bad. Buy a footswitch. It's a lot cheaper and will work better.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by dodinhtrung97
What do you guys say about a Metal Muff pedal?

I feel very eh about it. I've owned one for a couple years. The sound isn't amazing but I don't think it's bad by any means. Give you an EQ, and high end boost, level, and distortion. It's annoying to replace the battery but I use a power supply. If you've never owned a distortion pedal and want more of an old school Metal sound, it wouldn't be a bad choice. You can always look at Youtube reviews.

My first distortion pedal was a Digitech Death Metal. The Metal Muff is way better than that at least.

Youtube reviews are wonderful though. I looked at every video I could find of the wah I bought recently.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
The only place in town that sells them, demos Boss pedals through a Cube. The sound really good. Try one of those.

As has been said, a distortion pedal through your cube isn't going to sound good. Grab a foot switch.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

so I shouldn't buy any pedal for my cube ?
but the distortion sound sucks or its just me not knowing how to set a good sound to it?
Oh, also if you buy a distortion pedal now, it may be wasted money. When you buy a new amp (that I assume you are going to buy some day), you might notice that the built in distortion is better than the distortion pedal and you won't use it any more. Also, all distortion pedals don't work through every amp.

So yeah, don't buy any distortion pedals before you have a good amp and know that you need one. You shouldn't buy a distortion pedal just to be able to go from clean to distortion. That's what footswitch is for. Seems like you are making excuses for your GAS. Nothing wrong with that, every guitarist suffers from GAS, but you should realize that distortion pedals don't work well through your current amp and when you buy a better amp, it might have a better built-in distortion. So don't waste your money, buy a footswitch. You'll get one for something like $30 or even less. Any 2 button footswitch should work.

Oh, and pedal distortion doesn't make it any better. I had a Microcube and its distortion sounded just fine. But if your problem is amp not sounding good, buying a distortion and playing through the same amp isn't the right solution. You need a new amp! A good pedal through a crappy amp will sound like crap. Though it might be you. You just need to tweak it right. What are your settings? What tones are you after?

I would start with all controls at noon (no effects, volume at how loud you need it to be) and start tweaking from there. Hint: The "Extreme" setting may be a bit overkill. I'm not sure but something just tells me so. Also try "Metal Stack" and "Metal" amp models. Oh, and of course try "Distortion" too and "Overdrive" for a bit lower gain stuff. Don't crank up your gain, you'll just lose note definition. Have it as low as possible so that the sound still has "balls" but doesn't sound muddy and lack definition. Don't crank up the bass and the treble and scoop the mids, that doesn't usually work. Start with everything at noon. If the tone is too bright, turn the treble down. But if you feel that it could be brighter, turn the treble up. Metal tones usually have a bit scooped mids, of course depending on the amp model you are using. Try boosting and scooping them and decide which sounds better. But avoid extreme settings. Don't max them or anything, usually it doesn't work. And then bass... If your sound is too muddy, turn the bass down. But if it lacks the balls, turn it up. Try it with palm muting. If you get that boomy sound, you might want to cut the bass a bit until you get rid of it. You may want to have the bass as high as possible before it starts to sound too "loose" or "boomy".

Oh, and don't use any effects or add them after you have everything else set. With distortion I wouldn't use any modulation, unless the song needs it. A bit of reverb makes the sound a bit more lively. And delay for solos is cool.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by SimplyBen

As has been said, a distortion pedal through your cube isn't going to sound good. Grab a foot switch.

Yeah, and I have heard it directly and it sounds good.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
as far as built-in tone, its pretty much all just settings. use less gain than you think you need, and if you practise really quietly (like me) turn the volume up to borderline-neighbour-disturbing to determine how much gain you're actually using.

might be a guitar thing as well - pickups and whatever.
but as has been said above, modelling amps suck nuts at taking pedals.
Quote by salildeshpande7
the 20 watt cube distortion sounds are modelled over Boss distortion pedals DS1, DS2, MT2 and one more i cant remember

I think you are right, which is probably why actual Boss pedals sounded good. I didn't think of that.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I think you are right, which is probably why actual Boss pedals sounded good. I didn't think of that.

I guess your taste in guitar tone must be very different from mine. A cheap Boss distortion pedal rarely sounds good, especially not through a modeling amp.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Probably wouldn't be too bad. I think I used a wah with an old Flextone I had.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by dodinhtrung97
So would my amplifier work ok with a wah pedal?

I think yes. Do you really need a wah? I can feel it, you have a serious GAS.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
I think yes. Do you really need a wah? I can feel it, you have a serious GAS.

what is GAS ?
I actually had problem deciding whether deciding whether should I buy a wah or a distortion pedal at first, but then my friend suggest me to buy a distortion one. However as you guys say it wouldn't work so well with my amp so I thought I should go back to the wah that's the whole story
Quote by dodinhtrung97
what is GAS ?
I actually had problem deciding whether deciding whether should I buy a wah or a distortion pedal at first, but then my friend suggest me to buy a distortion one. However as you guys say it wouldn't work so well with my amp so I thought I should go back to the wah that's the whole story

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome, a "disease" every guitarist "suffers" from.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by dodinhtrung97
So would my amplifier work ok with a wah pedal?

Yes it would. They had a Dunlop set up.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10