Hello everyone.

I did a quick search and couldn't find much info, so here I am asking.

Has anyone had any experience with the saga guitar kits? Are they as good of quality necks and bodies as they look?

Here is the one in particular I have been looking at.

Obviously at that price all of the hardware is junk. After upgrading all the hardware, pickups, etc.. would these give me a solid kit guitar?
I have that exact one, its not that great. Its not solid wood, it just has a thin resin top designed to look like wood. I got some water under it by accident when sanding with wet and dry and it crack the finish and took ages to reclaim. The necks are ok, but not worth it when you factor in the quality of the other parts. It could be ok if you go for a natural finish, but it was very difficult trying to apply a finish. Personally, I'd avoid it. Take a look at other kits marketed as solid wood if you're looking to upgrade the hardware anyway
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
I got one of these to start learning to build with (the basics at least). Mine had a thin laminate but was sandable as long as you don't get too crazy. I didn't bother trying to hand stain it but sprayed colored lacquer instead. Pickups had a wiring issue that i was able to straighten out. You get what you pay for, just dont expect a les paul or a prs quality sound. The neck is a little chunky, but i play bass and perfer thin necks, so take that with a grain of salt.
Thank you both, I'm glad I asked, I was under the impression that it was solid wood.

Do either of you have any recommendations on better quality kits?
Quote by psrj32
Thank you both, I'm glad I asked, I was under the impression that it was solid wood.

Do either of you have any recommendations on better quality kits?

I have the Saga tele kit and I upgraded the tuners, pickups, electronics, bridge and it is a OK guitar. It is fun to do the work your self, but my bridge was not drilled correctly so I had to adjust it which was a PITA.

Check here they have kits and all kinds of good upgrades that are very reasonably priced www.guitarfetish.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate