Hi,

I don't know if you heard, but recently a train carrying crude oil from maine based company (Montreal Maine and Atlantic Railway) exploded in the downtown area of a small town in quebec called Lac Megantique.

If you haven't heard the story you can see details in english here

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/07/10/lac-megantic-quebec-train-explosion-investigation.html?cmp=rss

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/07/we-know-there-will-be-more-deaths-death-toll-climbs-to-three-in-quebec-train-explosion/

and pictures here
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2013/07/09/lac-megantic-quebec-train-explosion.html

They're still in the process of combing through the debris, counting the dead and trying to figure out what happened but it's pretty clear that heads will roll and some sort of change will happen, either on a legal level, company staff requirements, infrastructure maintenance or something similar.

Obviously the entire province is in a bit of an uproar but I'm wondering how much of a splash (if any) this accident is having in the two states that this company navigates in?

Because obviously Quebec and/or Canada can change all the laws it wants, we're still sharing a very large, very open and very infrequently checked rail system with the US.

So I'd be curious to hear your opinions, links to local media talking about this accident, any planned reform etc.

Also it should be noted that this company has a very VERY poor track record and that even though this is by far their biggest accident to date, this isn't really all that surprising.

details here:
http://viableopposition.blogspot.ca/2013/07/montreal-maine-atlantic-railway-and-its.html
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by redandwhite12
I actually live like 1 hour away from there. Pretty tragic stuff.

Really? where? I'm in montreal. Apparently this:

was seen as far away as sherbrooke... Maybe that's bullshit though...

The worst part is that so much of that oil is now at the bottom of lake megantic, which was a very beautiful place and extremely lucrative for the people of the city on account of the tourism...
There isn't oil in the lake, the crash happened in the downtown core.

Just another reminder of why Americans and many tree-hugging dipshits are dumb in their everlasting hatred of pipelines. This is the alternative, a much less safe much more potentially devastating method.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by flexiblemile
Really? where? I'm in montreal. Apparently this:

was seen as far away as sherbrooke... Maybe that's bullshit though...

The worst part is that so much of that oil is now at the bottom of lake megantic, which was a very beautiful place and extremely lucrative for the people of the city on account of the tourism...

I live in Sherbrooke so actually maybe like 2hrs away. But I was in Austin at the the time which is close to 1hr maybe a bit more. Didn't see no mushroom cloud but then again I think it happened at like 1 in the morning.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
There isn't oil in the lake, the crash happened in the downtown core.

Just another reminder of why Americans and many tree-hugging dipshits are dumb in their everlasting hatred of pipelines. This is the alternative, a much less safe much more potentially devastating method.

the explosion happened less than 200 meters from the water.... of course there's oil in there...

granted the news about the cleanup has been positive as they were super quick to put buoys to contain the oil but still... Something like 70% of their revenue comes from the lake and now 73 cars full of crude oil blew up 200 meters from the lake. You don't think there's cause to be worried about the environmental aspect on the lake?
Quote by flexiblemile
the explosion happened less than 200 meters from the water.... of course there's oil in there...

granted the news about the cleanup has been positive as they were super quick to put buoys to contain the oil but still... Something like 70% of their revenue comes from the lake and now 73 cars full of crude oil blew up 200 meters from the lake. You don't think there's cause to be worried about the environmental aspect on the lake?

There isn't oil in the lake, do you really think they would be saying otherwise and the main news stations would be reporting otherwise if the lake was full of oil? I was looking at the perfectly clean lake this morning when I watched the news with my coffee.

One of the main issues is people falsely reporting oil in the lake and perpetuating that falsity because it is driving even more tourism away. Between that and the manufacturing companies that rely on the rails to ship goods economically things aren't peachy.
Quote by flexiblemile

Also it should be noted that this company has a very VERY poor track record and that even though this is by far their biggest accident to date, this isn't really all that surprising.

Don't really care about the train problem, but your pun was atrocious!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin