I don't have a real set budget, but I currently have $56 for now. But for christmas, I'd say the budget is $1,500, maybe more (Depending on my grades). I absolutely love Avenged Sevenfold. Pantera and Five Finger Death Punch are cool too, but Avenged Sevenfold is definitely top of my list. I've only been playing since January but I have gotten very good at Avenged Sevenfold style heavy metal, so I'm looking for gear to make it sound killer. Most likely, I'll be getting a good Half-Stack for Christmas (It doesn't matter if it's used or new, though I prefer if it's used, it looks like it's new or very close to looking brand new. I'm only playing at home for now, but I want stuff as if I'm gonna play in a band because I soon might be. I live in the Turlock-Modesto area of California. As for my current gear:

BridgeCraft SG Style Electric Guitar
Schecter S-1 (2004-2010) Electric Guitar
Marshall MG15DFX 15 watt Combo Amp
DigiTech RP155 Multi-Effects Processor
(Very likely I'll get a Marshall JCM2000 TSL 200+1960's Lead Slant Cab set for Christmas)

Currently, I'm looking for a good distortion pedal and a good amp set.

Also: Is the Schecter Hellraiser 100 watt Combo Amp any good?
Last edited by asalazar1664 at Jul 11, 2013,
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/schecter-guitar-research-hr100-c212-hellraiser-usa-100c-100w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Christ, that's expensive. No one here has played one. They're simply too new. And for Schecter to be getting into the amp game at this price point...they must be absolutely bonkers. So many $2,000 amps out there that people know are better. You could easily get a JCM800.

You do not need a distortion pedal. Good distortion will come from the amp. Clearly your MG15 won't do it. I know, I had one. Get a real amp first.

I feel like I'm wasting my time. You've already made this thread...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/schecter-guitar-research-hr100-c212-hellraiser-usa-100c-100w-2x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp

Christ, that's expensive. No one here has played one. They're simply too new. And for Schecter to be getting into the amp game at this price point...they must be absolutely bonkers. So many $2,000 amps out there that people know are better. You could easily get a JCM800.

You do not need a distortion pedal. Good distortion will come from the amp. Clearly your MG15 won't do it. I know, I had one. Get a real amp first.

I feel like I'm wasting my time. You've already made this thread...

I know but someone said to do another thread with more detailed info. And the Schecter and Hellwin amps are all designed by Synyster Gates and John Brown.
My issue with signature guitars and amps is when you walk out with one, you are making a statement about your playing abilities. We were out two summers ago, and a hard rock guy was playing with a Wylde sig guitar. He honestly looked like a wanker, and couldn't play very good. Or maybe he could, but due to that guitar, he raised the expectations too high.

I've seen people around the web who by sig pedals and find they are really good for what that guitarist does, but are lacking outside of that. Or they find sig stuff doesn't make them magically better players.

The Hellwin amp is stupidly overpriced. There are good options for much cheaper.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by asalazar1664
I know but someone said to do another thread with more detailed info. And the Schecter and Hellwin amps are all designed by Synyster Gates and John Brown.

And Zakk Wylde is in MG adds. A guitarist putting their name on something doesn't mean anything, even a signature series. Pretty much every Dime guitar the Dean makes was made after his death.

Getting a guitarist's signature gear won't give you their sound. There's no reason to buy a $2000 amp that no one knows anything about when there are tons of time tested amps that sound great. You can just look at the amps that Gates has used on the A7X albums. You're going to see the amps that everyone knows to be good. If your parents will buy you an awesome amp, you should at least make sure it's going to be awesome.

Gates uses Marshalls and Bogners. He also uses Mesa Boogie I think. Those are all amazing brands that are used by some of the greatest players ever. Do some research instead of buying whatever has you favorite guitarist's name.

One quick Google showed me that nightmare was recorded on a Marshall JCM800.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 11, 2013,
Honestly folks, we're wasting our breath. He's made his mind up, and his parents are giving him way too much money. That mich money and you still need a distortion pedal? that would tell me it is the wrong amp.Good luck to ya kid.

Whatever happened to starting with crappy gear and working your way up?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by BladeSlinger
And Zakk Wylde is in MG adds. A guitarist putting their name on something doesn't mean anything, even a signature series. Pretty much every Dime guitar the Dean makes was made after his death.

Zakk apparently uses them for low volumne practice. Same with Hendrix. He used a Vox not a Dunlop. Guess who has the signature pedal?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Honestly folks, we're wasting our breath. He's made his mind up, and his parents are giving him way too much money. That mich money and you still need a distortion pedal? that would tell me it is the wrong amp.Good luck to ya kid.

It did boggle my mind. I know people who's parents bought them really expensive gear but not that early. My friend has a Warwick bass and his sister has a JEM. They had been playing for a while though.

I just keep thinking he's going to get this amp for Metal then in three years hate Metal.

But Zakk doesn't use them for recording or anything. Dunlop has a signature wah for everyone apparently.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Like I said in the last thread, look at Jet City. They're cheap, and it's what A7X have been using for the past few years.

JCA50 head - $350: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JET-CITY-50-GUITAR-HEAD-109078180-i3182749.gc

JCA48S - $300: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JET-CITY-JCA48S-4X12-GTR-CAB-108992236-i3171917.gc

Save the rest. Put it in savings or something.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ Oklahoma /high-five

I just keep thinking he's going to get this amp for Metal then in three years hate Metal.

And this is a real possibility. Musical tastes can change. Even more so in the early stages. I look back at some of my "used-to-be-favorite-bands" and think: Why...why did I like that...

Then being stuck with a $2,000 combo that has a chance of not being that good. It could be the most versatile thing in the world. Or it could be the amp that nails that A7X tone when Zak/Syn/whatshisface plays it and really isn't good for anything else or really doesn't sound that great for the price...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
^ Oklahoma /high-five

And this is a real possibility. Musical tastes can change. Even more so in the early stages. I look back at some of my "used-to-be-favorite-bands" and think: Why...why did I like that...

Then being stuck with a $2,000 combo that has a chance of not being that good. It could be the most versatile thing in the world. Or it could be the amp that nails that A7X tone when Zak/Syn/whatshisface plays it and really isn't good for anything else or really doesn't sound that great for the price...

I'm not sure if his parents will be quite as keen when they learn about how loud tube amps are.

From what I've heard, a Jet City would be a great choice. Just buy a Splawn and get it over with.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
It did boggle my mind. I know people who's parents bought them really expensive gear but not that early. My friend has a Warwick bass and his sister has a JEM. They had been playing for a while though.

I know a guy who owns the gold trimmed JEM. He is a fantastic guitarist that looked a little out of place when playing it. Really sweet guitar though.

Or find he wants to play different styles. Still, I know no one on here who bought one. It's way too much of a Wylde card. See what I did there?

But Zakk doesn't use them for recording or anything. Dunlop has a signature wah for everyone apparently.

No but he did apparently use his Epi on the Order of Black disk apparently and has on stage. But yeah, he's not recording on a MG.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Offworld92
Like I said in the last thread, look at Jet City. They're cheap, and it's what A7X have been using for the past few years.

JCA50 head - $350: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JET-CITY-50-GUITAR-HEAD-109078180-i3182749.gc

JCA48S - $300: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-JET-CITY-JCA48S-4X12-GTR-CAB-108992236-i3171917.gc

Save the rest. Put it in savings or something.

But how else do you make your friends green with envy and hail your awesomeness at those prices? What you don't think that isn't a factor?

But he is quite skilled and only been playing 6 months. He'll be recording in 6.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jul 11, 2013,
I'd personally suggest to get a good amp with a solid resale value instead of "signature" so and so stuff.
The only signature amp I like that is priced normally is the Peavey JSX. All the rest have a huge "hype" price tag attached.
I'd suggest Marshall DSL instead of TSL (the DSL sounds better). Since your parents are giving you that much $ you can also look into Mesa Boogie. I don't see why you'd need a big stack instead of a 2x12 and a smaller wattage head, unless you plan on playing in a band and midsize venues. I like the Rectifier Mini.
Quote by asalazar1664
I don't have a real set budget, but I currently have $56 for now. But for christmas, I'd say the budget is $1,500, maybe more (Depending on my grades). I absolutely love Avenged Sevenfold. Pantera and Five Finger Death Punch are cool too, but Avenged Sevenfold is definitely top of my list. I've only been playing since January but I have gotten very good at Avenged Sevenfold style heavy metal, so I'm looking for gear to make it sound killer. Most likely, I'll be getting a good Half-Stack for Christmas (It doesn't matter if it's used or new, though I prefer if it's used, it looks like it's new or very close to looking brand new. I'm only playing at home for now, but I want stuff as if I'm gonna play in a band because I soon might be. I live in the Turlock-Modesto area of California. As for my current gear:

BridgeCraft SG Style Electric Guitar
Schecter S-1 (2004-2010) Electric Guitar
Marshall MG15DFX 15 watt Combo Amp
DigiTech RP155 Multi-Effects Processor
(Very likely I'll get a Marshall TSL 100+1960's Lead Slant Cab set for Christmas)

Currently, I'm looking for a good distortion pedal and a good amp set.

Also: Is the Schecter Hellraiser 100 watt Combo Amp any good?

Look for a used Jet City JCA 50/100/100hdm and a decent 2x12/4x12 cab you will be under $1000 total have a decent rig (Zacky V uses a JCA 100)

Good luck on the band thing, playing since Jan is not any amount of time to get band good (at least not with a band that sounds good). But don't let people discourage you, just know the reality of how it will work.

And I think it is great that even though your young your parents are cool enough to hook you up. Don't let people try to tell you not to get "xxxx" gear because your a beginner and they still have beginner gear 10+ yrs later. My son gets a PRS CE22 and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/Krank 4x12 when he turns 16, that is a better rig than most people will ever own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I know a guy who owns the gold trimmed JEM. He is a fantastic guitarist that looked a little out of place when playing it. Really sweet guitar though.

Or find he wants to play different styles. Still, I know no one on here who bought one. It's way too much of a Wylde card. See what I did there?

No but he did apparently use his Epi on the Order of Black disk apparently and has on stage. But yeah, he's not recording on a MG.

I'm sure it's great for pinch harmonics.

^It is great that they provide him with quality gear, but I worry that he isn't experienced enough to actually know what he's getting. Every musician deserves quality gear.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I forgot to mention, the JCM 2000 TSL+1960 Lead Slant Cab is only going to cost me $1000.
Quote by Robbgnarly

And I think it is great that even though your young your parents are cool enough to hook you up. Don't let people try to tell you not to get "xxxx" gear because your a beginner and they still have beginner gear 10+ yrs later. My son gets a PRS CE22 and a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/Krank 4x12 when he turns 16, that is a better rig than most people will ever own.

For sure, it is great. But I imagine by that point you will know whether or not your son will stick with it.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by asalazar1664
I forgot to mention, the JCM 2000 TSL+1960 Lead Slant Cab is only going to cost me $1000.

SOLD!!!!

Only thing to keep in mind is that some people don't like the TSL opposed to the DSL. I think it has to do with the fact that they added a 3rd channel by using the same amount of preamp tubes, somehow spread it out (don't remember the specifics) and it doesn't have the punch and warmth of the DSL. I've played both when they had come out and liked the DSL more but needed three channels at the time and went to something else entirely. Either way - you can always sell the amp if you don't like it and get a different head, the 6505 would be perfect for the style as well.
Quote by BladeSlinger

I'm not sure if his parents will be quite as keen when they learn about how loud tube amps are.

From what I've heard, a Jet City would be a great choice. Just buy a Splawn and get it over with.

5150. Destroying walls, foundations, and the ear drums of the other occupants of your domicile.

I'm not even into these Splawn and Marshall-type amps, but I think I would love a Splawn for some reason.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-SPLAWN-QUICK-ROD-HEAD-109196229-i3243563.gc

Man, this looks so good...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by asalazar1664

The TSL is a mediocre amp in all honesty. The JCM2000 DSL is a better amp than the TSL.

But if you want A7X tones, the Jet city JCA 50/100/100hdm are better suited for that.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Shadowofravenwo

Yes, I think it diminishes the whole passion of getting expert on crappy gear and the pleasure of playing on something more expensive than your SX/Squier plywood axe.
Damn, just when I remember the first time I took my acoustic, my fingers felt so weak.
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by asalazar1664

From where? I wouldn't pay a dime over $800 for that setup. Though I most likely wouldn't touch a TSL at all. Like I said before, it's not a bad amp... but there's a big list of amps I'd rather have before a TSL for the same price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A 5150/6505 would be a good choice too.

I don't see a problem with people starting with good gear, it just makes me sad when people don't stick with it. A lot of beginners think getting good gear will immediately make them sound good. When that isn't true I think a lot them get discouraged.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
A 5150/6505 would be a good choice too.

I don't see a problem with people starting with good gear, it just makes me sad when people don't stick with it. A lot of beginners think getting good gear will immediately make them sound good. When that isn't true I think a lot them get discouraged.

Exactly, super crappy gear is no good either. Lately my Vox has sounded noticably better despite no touching settings. That means I am getting better! If I get an amazing amp, I'll probably sound amazing once I can sound really good through this amp. The Vox isn't bad amp by practicing standards.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
I got extremely discouraged and just stopped for the longest time because my gear consisted of a Spider IV, an MG, and an extremely uncomfortable and cheap Jackson. I had always been looking for that pedal or those pickups to help make it all amazing, but deep down I knew that was not the answer.

Dangerously off-topic.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2