Hey guys,

Tremonti got me into the PRS guitars, but I've never played on one. I own an Epiphone Les Paul and my dream guitar would be the Gibson Firebird VII.

I really love the blue burst with clear back and a wrap-around tailpiece, like this one:
http://www.martinmusicguitar.com/images/ebay/P22-504-2.jpg

Have you got any experience with PRS guitars? I'm thinking about buying one around $800. Are these even worth the money?

What model should I get? What parts should it have? (Think about the switch, knobs, pickups, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
That pic you posted is of a $3000+ PRS and yes they are amazing. I have an older PRS CE22 which was their cheap line 10 yrs ago and I paid $1525 then for it.

The guitars you are asking about are the SE line which are made in Korea not the USA. They are decent guitars, but I would only buy one used (they run <$400 used)

If you are in the USA, look for a used CE22 or CE24. These are USA made and are almost identical to the $3000+ Prs guitars, only they have a bolt-thru neck and they are not quite as flashy looking. (look at my pic's in my profile) These guitars run $900-$1400 used and are much better than the SE line.

www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear typically has a few in that price range or the SE lines for <$400
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a refinished Tremonti SE with Tonerider pickups and I love it. The guy I bought it from didn't like it stock but I can't comment cos I never played it that way. It is a fantastic guitar now, but maybe the lower end ones might need upgrading from stock to make them really great guitars.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Few hundred more will see you be able to snag a nice used ce24.

I love PRS guitars. I miss the Cu22 I briefly owned. Beautiful guitar and sounded fantastic.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Never owned one, but I've tried many in store: they are impressive. The only reason I don't own one is money- when I have money, I can't find one I want. When I find one I want, I never have the money for it!

I did almost buy one as my first electric- a turquoise blue doublecut with gold hardware- but bought a Dean TC Caddy instead. I don't regret that, but I know I'd have been just as happy with what I passed on as what I bought.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for the comments, I'm from Holland, so it'll be a bit harder to find a used CE24 or CE22, but I'll try.
yeah PRS are some of the best factory made guitars out. probably in the top 10 in the world easily. custom builders might build a more suitable instrument for you, but to walk into a store and pick something off a rack, there really isnt much that comes close.

and for such a quality guitar, they have made a name for themselves and are everywhere (in the states). a guitar brand mike Hamer, for example, or Suhr, easily makes a guitar on par or better. you will never find one in a store however.

the local guitar center in my town has an entire wall didicated to PRS from floor to ceiling. and i am going there in T-minus 3 hours to play them all....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
yeah PRS are some of the best factory made guitars out. probably in the top 10 in the world easily. custom builders might build a more suitable instrument for you, but to walk into a store and pick something off a rack, there really isnt much that comes close.

and for such a quality guitar, they have made a name for themselves and are everywhere (in the states). a guitar brand mike Hamer, for example, or Suhr, easily makes a guitar on par or better. you will never find one in a store however.

the local guitar center in my town has an entire wall didicated to PRS from floor to ceiling. and i am going there in T-minus 3 hours to play them all....

I seem to remember a thread about Hamer going out of business
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
PRS just launched a new line of guitars that sit between their SE line and the main stuff. Think they're calling it S2. Basically an American made PRS produced out of the same factory. Just more of a mass production/cheaper priced instrument. From what I've seen they look pretty sweet.
Quote by lilwill000
PRS just launched a new line of guitars that sit between their SE line and the main stuff. Think they're calling it S2. Basically an American made PRS produced out of the same factory. Just more of a mass production/cheaper priced instrument. From what I've seen they look pretty sweet.

I saw those also and they look fine except the top bevel/carve is ugly as hell on the custom 24
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
PRS are good, but I wouldnt say better than gibson, just different. They have an amazing quality though, you cant fault them at all.

Dunno how $800 translates, but seems low to get an american made, even a mira.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Snapple
PRS are good, but I wouldnt say better than gibson, just different. They have an amazing quality though, you cant fault them at all.

Dunno how $800 translates, but seems low to get an american made, even a mira.

They are made differently than the regular PRS line that's how they are so cheap. USA PRS are probably the best QC of any production guitars in the world.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
They are made differently than the regular PRS line that's how they are so cheap. USA PRS are probably the best QC of any production guitars in the world.

EDIT: Read that wrong. The new line is coming from the same factory as the American's that are out right now. I'd expect the same level of QC. The materials used won't be quite as good, of course.
Last edited by lilwill000 at Jul 15, 2013,
i have no idea if you can get a used CE22 in holland for $800. or if the ce guitars came with the wrap around ( i thought they were all trem guitars but )

here in the US you can get a used mira or CE in that range, occasionally.

in Holland though, no idea. there's a used CE24 on the bay by you but it's basically twice that.

good luck, try a new S2 if you can get a chance.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
i have no idea if you can get a used CE22 in holland for $800. or if the ce guitars came with the wrap around ( i thought they were all trem guitars but )

here in the US you can get a used mira or CE in that range, occasionally.

in Holland though, no idea. there's a used CE24 on the bay by you but it's basically twice that.

good luck, try a new S2 if you can get a chance.

Yeah some CE's had wraparound tail pieces, but most did have the trem
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate