Heres the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ssJAaP4slw

Slash plays a G Chord at the end of a solo at 30:06. The chords sounds so much more distorted than the rest of his playing and he hits his guitar at the end of the chord.

Can anybody put their finger on how he managed to make the chord sound so distorted?

(I understand that this isn't really a technique related question but I think this sub-forum is most suited for the thread. Otherwise, please move the thread.)
I think it's just because it's an octave lower than before, and it's a chord, so there are multiple notes being hit at once.
Sounds like he stomped on a phaser.

Also, adjusting the volume on the guitar and controlling how hard you hit the strings can have a pretty dramatic effect on how distorted the guitar sounds.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by Hydra150
Sounds like he stomped on a phaser.

it really does
I'd go with a combination of chords sounding more distorted than single notes, being in a lower octave, strumming harder AND stepping on a phaser. It even looks like he steps on a phaser.
Twatting the strings a lot harder definitley makes a big difference through a cranked tube amp, plus you'd have even more of a contrest if you were strumming a little lighter than usual beforehand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com