So right now I have a Fender Frontman 15g and have been looking into getting an higher end amp. On the frontpage of UG I saw a review for the Fender Mustang and saw that it got reviews but I also noticed that it got good reviews on-par with even more expensive amps like The Fender Reverb. So what i want to know is are theses amps of the same quality in sound or are they used for different situations. Also if you have any reccomendations for amps, that would be appreciated. Thanks.
answer these questions

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
ninaj'd...

define higher end. that could be $500 for somebody $2000 for somebody else.

what do you listen to? are there any songs that you really like the sound of.

what gear do you own.

don't trust 95% of reviews. they are often on the 'honeymoon' point and still buzzed.

the frontman is terrible in reference to the fender twin or deluxe. the mustang is alright, but i have preferred other digital amps out there, mainly the peavey vypyr and vox valvetronics to be good for the money.

are you looking for all tube or modeling.

give us more information if you are getting something.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jul 11, 2013,
Budget? - At least $400-$500

Genres? - Blues, Rock and some metal, I mainly want to go for a Jack White, Black keys sound.

New or Used? - Either but if the used it as good as the new i would take it.

Home or Gig? - Right now im playing at home but would like to gig within the next year or so.

Closest City? - Atlanta

Current Gear? - I have a Fender frontman 15g amp, Fender Squier, and a Cry -baby Wah Pedal, Boss Distortion, and Ocatave Fuzz Pedal.
peavey classic 30 or 50

fender blues jr, if you don't want clean cleans at higher volume.

fender hotrod deluxe the OD channel is terrible, but the clean channel is nice, and it is good with OD pedals.

if you want a little more gain with decent cleans, but more rock oriented, the peavey valve king (they go cheap and aren't that bad, i had one for a while)

its a little bit of a oddball for this application, orange tiny/deal/dual terror ( i love my dual terror) don't let the wattage detract you from its perceived but i can tell you my dual is loud even when ran at 7 watts.

always the vypyr tube is up there, they will fit in your budget, but are hybrid modelers and are much better than any modeling out there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
you can do a lot better. Buy used... that way even if you don't like it, you can still resell it for close to the price you paid.

My advice would be to go all tube, 50 watts or less.

If the fender super reverb I posted is too expensive, check out the peavey classic 50, they're great amps and you'll NEVER need more than 50 watts
Quote by Fender5612
Hey, thanks for the reply, I have been looking at the Fender Frontman 212R and it sounds pretty good from clips i seen of it on youtube could you give your option of it.

Heres a link to the product's discription if you need it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104506076-i1323510.gc

Stay away from the frontman they are not that great. I think 311 had one at one point that he replaced iirc
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
An Egnater Rebel may be good for you. It has a "tube mix" so you can use 6v6 and/or el84 power tubes. If you turn it all the way to the 6v6 side it's a lil smoother, the el84 side a lil crispier. Its a very versatile amp if you like your cleans a lil dirty but don't use a lotta gain. Ive heard a description of "jack of all trades, master of none" and that's exactly right. It'll give you a good idea of which amp to gas next, yet it's good enough to give you the patience til the perfect amp at the right price comes your way.
Actually, the Tube Mix feature on the Egnater amps is a gimmick. The only noticeable difference is when you put the knob at noon, at which it is combining both types of power tubes and a small difference in volume can be heard. Otherwise, it's just a placebo effect really.

I used to believe the same thing, but I was corrected by a couple reputable users here that are electronic engineers and have experience with the matter.
Quote by cdr_salamander
Actually, the Tube Mix feature on the Egnater amps is a gimmick. The only noticeable difference is when you put the knob at noon, at which it is combining both types of power tubes and a small difference in volume can be heard. Otherwise, it's just a placebo effect really.

I used to believe the same thing, but I was corrected by a couple reputable users here that are electronic engineers and have experience with the matter.

Well pardon me but I 100% disagree. I don't notice anything at lower volumes but, when cranked, there is a very noticeable difference. If the tube mix is bottomed, the amp is smoother, all the way to the el84 side is edgier, crispier. Pm me your phone number and i'd bet you can hear it over a phone, its that noticeable when loud. Touching nothing but the tube mix knob.

With all due respect sir.
Quote by lucky1978
Well pardon me but I 100% disagree. I don't notice anything at lower volumes but, when cranked, there is a very noticeable difference. If the tube mix is bottomed, the amp is smoother, all the way to the el84 side is edgier, crispier. Pm me your phone number and i'd bet you can hear it over a phone, its that noticeable when loud. Touching nothing but the tube mix knob.

With all due respect sir.

I bought a Renegade when it came out. Tube mix feature is no more equivalent to tweaking up 1 notch.. The wattage cut wasn't that effective if at all. I bought a tweaker, all the switches are nothing like shifting the tone stack a tiny bit. The rebel wattage from 20 to 1 and it was noticeable but it didn't do a ton.

I owned them, gigged them, and sold them.

I am NOT saying that they sound bad, they sound decent fine to gig worth but they aren't tbe hype they claimed to be
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I bought a Renegade when it came out. Tube mix feature is no more equivalent to tweaking up 1 notch.. The wattage cut wasn't that effective if at all. I bought a tweaker, all the switches are nothing like shifting the tone stack a tiny bit. The rebel wattage from 20 to 1 and it was noticeable but it didn't do a ton.

I owned them, gigged them, and sold them.

I am NOT saying that they sound bad, they sound decent fine to gig worth but they aren't tbe hype they claimed to be

I agree with that. I'm long past the honeymoon with this amp, but the tube mix is not a gimmick. You can't use 3/10 6v6+7/10 el84 but it does sound smoother all the way 6v6 and rougher all the way el84 and in between, in between.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jul 14, 2013,
Peavey Classic 50.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A