Hi all, I'm going to go trade for this guitar on CL.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/3926314610.html

I don't know much about epiphone, but this looks like a higher-quality SG-400. It won't cost me anything, just a straight trade on a guitar I was going to sell (valued about the same.) I just want to verify that "vintage" is an epiphone line, that they were made in korea and that this is a legit example of that. Also, any testimonials from people who have played/owned these guitars would be good. Not expecting an amazing, brilliant guitar, but something that feels and plays well for the price.

I'm trading a used modern player jag. Yeah, I like it, but I love SGs and my next p90 guitar is going to be a Reverend or something amazing. I can part with my modern player.
Looks pretty genuine in relation to the G-400s on Gibson website. I'd ask for exact models on the pickups though. "Gibson" pickups could mean anything and could be a lie. He might've just taken the covers off the stock pickups.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Bound neck, no veneer tops are always MIK G-400s IIRC. Seems pretty legit to me.

They sold as a G-400 Vintage or G-400 faded. I forgot.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Bugger, looks identical to my SG 400 that I sold a few months ago, except for the PUPs. My one had chrome covers which I hated.
Yeah, the GC I went to actually had a MIK SG-400 for 200 bones. I tried it out but wasn't too impressed, so I'm not broken up about losing the trade.

I did, however, see a very excellent Washburn that I fell in love with. I'll probably be back with cash when I have it.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/washburn/wi66pro/index.html
I'm not crazy about MiI quality, but it was just set up perfectly, had a nice wide, flat neck and the SD pickups were awesome. In contrast, the frets on the SG400 were sharp and the veneer or whatever it was stuck to my fingers and slowed my playing down. I'll have to do more research on Washburn, I never really expected a Washburn to be any good.
Quote by samuraigoomba
Guy flaked, didn't show. Just another day on craigslist.

I have such a love/hate relationship with craigslist because of stuff like this...

You put up an ad cuz you're looking for a bassist (or whatever), you get 10 replies about people SUPER INTERESTED THAT LOVE YOUR SOUND! You answer back to the ten asking for availabilities for an audition... Only 5 answer back. You set up a time and place for each one and only three show up. One without a bass, the second drunk off his ass and the third actually plays decently but is moving to Australia in two months...

DAMN YOU CRAIGSLIST!!!
Yep. Or somebody 50 miles away wants to buy a guitar of mine, but only if I'll deliver. Really dude? Does this look like a Pizza to you, and do I look like the pizza boy?
Well the guy wanted to do the trade today, so he came over and I took a look at his SG. He said the pickups are a gibson 498 (something like that) and a 500. It definitely sounds good, the neck pickup has a lot of bass definition and the bridge pickup is great for rock leads. I was able to pretty easily dial in a nice Deep Purple tone.

The neck is a lot better than the G400 I tried at the shop. That was a basic G400 MiK Epiphone, this is all that plus the lighter faded finish (makes the neck feel faster) and much nicer fret work. I'll put up a NGD later with pics. He said he didn't like the neck, it was a '50s profile or something and it was too chunky for him. Seems fine to me.
That is a Epiphone vintage faded series G-400 which are still being made, but now in China. They only sell for $300.00 brand new. That's less than what your Fender is worth . Those aren't Gibson pickups on it but rather cheaply made, Epiphone Alnico Humbuckers which somebody took the Chrome covers off of. The seller is feeding you a line of bullshit , so keep your Fender . Trust me on this one.
Last edited by jeffo46 at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by jeffo46
That is a Epiphone vintage faded series G-400 which are still being made, but now in China. They only sell for $300.00 brand new. That's less than what your Fender is worth . Those aren't Gibson pickups on it but rather cheaply made, Epiphone Alnico Humbuckers which somebody took the Chrome covers off of. The seller is feeding you a line of bullshit , so keep your Fender . Trust me on this one.

They are NOT made anymore with the bound neck and without veneer
they sell for more, regardless what pickups are in

the todays SG-400 vintage are not the same

Nobody can tell from this pics if it has real Gibson pickups or stock Epi pickups

this is the korean 'vintage' model
http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/SG#Vintage_G-400

this is the todays 'faded' model, mostly mislabeled as 'vintage' model
http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/SG#Faded_G-400
Last edited by paruwi at Jul 13, 2013,
you can ask him for the serial and run it through that site to verify the year and factory it was made

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
made in july 2015....

hm. damn. thats not a good sign.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
It says on that site that the guitar was made in 2004 at the Unsung Plant in Korea. Which I suppose, combined with the big "made in korea" sticker on the back, is probably as close as I can get to definitive proof.