Hi!

I am looking for your expert advice, as I am simply paralyzed by the choice available. My budget is from 500-600 dollars maximum. I can't go above that. I am looking for an electric guitar and a kind of do-it-all combo amp. Here are my requirements:

Guitar

1) A humbucker in the bridge side.
2) The only guitars that I have ever owned are Ibanez. In particular I own a Indonesian made Ibanez GRG270B and the neck on it is super thin. I have played other Ibanez and guitars from other brands but I find the neck on GRG270B to be the most comfortably neck I have played on. I am looking for a similar style super thin neck.
3) Similarly the action on the GRG guitar is very very low and I am looking for similar low action setup.
4) I am looking for a fixed bridge guitar
5) Good quality frets so that they are durable and last a long long time
5) Ideally it would be better if it is already factory setup with 9s as this is the gauge that I prefer.
6) Other then that I don't mind any other design features or lack of them

Amp:

1) Styles I play are blues, rock and metal. Amp I need could offer 4-6 basic sounds but good sounds which cover these styles well (for rhythm and lead).
2) I am not looking for a gazillion features, effects and amp models where all of them sound awful.
3) I have not played through a line 6 spider in person but I have seen a ton of reviews and demo videos and they sound god-awful to my ears, so please don't recommend the line 6 spiders, unless there is something that I have totally missed that you may be aware of.
4) The only effects I need are reverb , delay and chorus and the ability to use them together atleast reverb with the other two.
5) Lastly, a line in or aux in and a line out for recording would be a nice feature
6) The emphasis here is minimal sounds but good ones i.e quality over quantity
7) I have thought a little about the Marshall MGCFX range but I am not sure how good it sounds and if better options are available.

Can you please give me your honest and unbiased option based on your experience and expertise as to what guitar and amp I should go for. I understand the more money you spend the better stuff you can get but I am looking for something that gives the best possible quality within the budget that is available to me. Can you please give me two recommendations.

1) If budget is under 500
2) If budget is under 600

Thanks a lot!
Line 6 Flextone II/III combo <$300 at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
Peavey Vypyr tube 60 $350ish

Is the budget 500 for guitar and amp, because if it is, keep your guitar you have put a set of decent pickups in it and get the best amp you can afford at your price point
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Vypyr Tube will be my recommendation as well. The above question is important as well though.
Quote by Rain85
well i sold that guitar so i am looking for a new one!

Is the $500-$600 for both then? If so I strongly advise going used.

Where are you located in the world?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Have a look at chinese-branded guitars you never hear of.

I own a xaviere (guitarfetish.com) telecaster copy I bought for $205, and it plays and sound better than all the MIM I tried.

It also has a cool flamed maple top :P

I also found some schecter hellraisers on ebay for less than $500, I'd look at that too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Xaviere guitars get good reviews and come with better than average pickups

Agile guitars are cheap and decent quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are some used Schecter's you can find for pretty cheap - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schecter-C-1-Standard-Flame-Top-Electric-Guitar-Great-Shape-/310705495663?pt=Guitar&hash=item48577d9e6f

Also, the epiphone line is pretty affordable, especially used. You could nab something like a Wilshire - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Wilshire-Electric-Guitar-/300932735329?pt=Guitar&hash=item4610fd2161

Also, a used Dot would be pretty cheap, especially a Dot studio, if you are open to semi-hollow guitars. I bought a new Dot for $350 and it was a nice guitar (ended up selling it a year ago to fund my Les Paul).

For an amp, I'd recommend something like the Peavy Classic 30, you can find used ones for under $250 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Classic-30-Guitar-Amp-Combo-1x12-/221252945464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3383b40638

Overall theme, I'd def recommend going used. I'd say 2/3 of all my gear was bought used, including my amp. I've never had any issues, and you can find downright steals on ebay, craigslist, your local shop, etc. I mean, my guitar amp cost $900 new, and I bought it used for $425. People get desperate to sell stuff that don't use or when they are really jonesin for something new. If you buy something used local, just make sure you try it out first. If you go ebay, thanks to PayPal you are protected (I had a friend buy a pedal that didn't work, he filed a claim with PayPal and they gave him his money back).

The end result with used gear (especially with your budget) is higher quality stuff. Sure it might be older and have some wear and tear, but I'd rather buy a used MIM (or maybe even USA) Strat with some wear than get a new Squire. I should have done this myself when I first started out and my budget was more limited... instead I bought gear new that I grew out of very quickly.
Last edited by Clarkinator at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by Rain85

3) I have not played through a line 6 spider in person but I have seen a ton of reviews and demo videos and they sound god-awful to my ears, so please don't recommend the line 6 spiders, unless there is something that I have totally missed that you may be aware of.

You're going to do just fine around here.

Seriously, consider a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. It is not another run of the mill modeler - it sounds great. You're not going to find another decent amp in your budget that has typical low end features like line in/headphone out, with the exception of the Line 6 Flextone III that was mentioned above (not sure exactly what in/outs it has though).

I don't think you stated where you're located in the world - we need to know that. The US and Australia both use the $, but the markets (availability and prices) are completely and drastically different.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jul 13, 2013,