Hey guys what's up,
I just got a new Gibson SG with P-90 pickups,
just wanted to ask if it would be safe for the guitar to be setup in,
C. G. C. F. A. D.
Which is a half step up from Drop C.
I've been told if you get it setup too low it can be hard on the neck and everything.
I just wanted to hear everybody's advice on this before I do it.
CGCFAD is drop C. For it to be "safe" or set up properly, try putting a set of .11's(? guys, please correct if wrong) on it. With a lower tuning, you'll need thicker strings to compensate for the loss of tension. You may have to adjust the truss rod, but that's a last resort.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
For sure, it's a half step up from drop c so it isn't all the way down there, not sure if that makes a huge difference.
If you're using full stops (periods for the americans) instead of #, then you're meaning C#G#C#F#A#D#, or Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. In either case, yes you can set up your SG to this tuning. As long as you get a thick enough set of strings it can be done. The problems arise when you start going to Baritone tuning (B E A D F# B) and lower.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
If you're using full stops (periods for the americans) instead of #, then you're meaning C#G#C#F#A#D#, or Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb. In either case, yes you can set up your SG to this tuning. As long as you get a thick enough set of strings it can be done. The problems arise when you start going to Baritone tuning (B E A D F# B) and lower.

You're right!
Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Thicker strings as everyone has suggested (11s or even 12s will do just fine if you want to go to B or A#) and check to see if you get any rattling of strings on the fret board. If so adjust your bridge until you get it to stop and do this by turning both sides of the tuneomatic evenly a little bit at a time then check for rattling. Keep doing this until you've reached a height (or action) you feel comfy with and fixes the problem, super easy to do seriously.
What I'm working with:
Fender Jazzmaster
Gibson SG-X
ESP EC-401
Peavey 6505+ w/ Voodoo mods
I use 10-52 tuning to C,G,C,F,A,D on a G-400
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh that's not even that low at all my band plays in standard Eb and drop Db, we use 10-52s perfect gauge for it
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)