Hello everyone,
I recently purchased an Epiphone Dot, and I was wondering how I can get a more heavy distortion sound on it. Currently, the amp I am using an Mesa Boogie Studio Series.
Thanks
What kind of music are you wanting to play? What bands are you trying to cover/be like?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Opps forgot to give that information. I mostly cover The Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Blink-182, and Silversun Pickups. I recently have been concentrating mainly on writing my own songs and desire a heavy distorted sound similar to the bands that I cover.
Well really you kinda bought the wrong guitar for that. I highly doubt the stock pickups are gonna have sufficient output for the sound you want. You could get new pickups of course but semi-acoustics are a little infamous for feedback problems with high gain.
No, I think it should be fine for the music you play, you just have to push your amp a little harder to achieve the same breakup as you would with a solidbody electric.

Is this the amp you have?: http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/mesa-boogie-studio-22-head-166538.jpg
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
My amp looks like that, but doesn't have the have "Mesa/Boogie" on the front.
It looks like this: http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m280/ramprat69/DSC02884.jpg

Any advice on the settings I should use? I'm not too familiar with what all the knobs on the guitar do.
Edit: I meant to say "I'm not too familiar with all the knobs on the amp" but I'm still kind of confused about the knobs on the guitar too.
Last edited by ToForgive at Jul 11, 2013,
First of all, up your mids. Secondly, just try messing around with your volume and master knobs. Volume is going to be your "gain" knob, and master is the actual sound level of the amp. I would try volume around 5 or 6 to start, master at about 3 or 4 (or whatever you deem is loud. It's probably loud enough when other things in the room start to vibrate), and adjust to taste. Its just experimenting man.

I EQ my amp, which is totally different from yours, by having my mids highest, treble second highest, and bass lowest.

The presence knob, iirc, acts like the tone knob on your guitar and so, iirc, will roll down the higher frequencies.

But I could be wrong about the last part.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Thanks for the info, helps a bunch. I remember my brother telling me that I I should have the switch that says "EQ Auto" switched to the middle position since that will allow for the 5 lever looking things to take affect. Will adjusting the knobs to what you said still take affect no matter what position the EQ is switched in? It might be different from your amp though. Not really sure what you mean what you said you "EQ your amp".
The amp you posted should be OK for what you want to do. Do you have an Overdrive pedal at all?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
By "my amp" I meant that mine is a German made 15 watt head tube amplifier, and is completely different from yours. I'm not sure about the EQ In vs. EQ Auto. Try experimenting. If you can't get the sound you want, try looking into an Overdrive (not a distortion or a fuzz) pedal. Maybe something like a Bad Monkey (cheap) or an Ibanez Tube Screamer (more expensive).
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
The only way to learn how the amp works is by trial and error

Mesa's are notoriously difficult to eq - having all knobs on 10 has a different character than to having all knobs at 5 for instance.

Pickup output isn't too important, plenty of bands use relatively low output pickups for metal, and dot's have a classic rock pedigree. The guitar won't do tight metal rhythms very well though.

Try getting a tone with the 5 slider eq off, and than switch it on and tweak. I'd probably set up a pretty mid heavy tone with the eq off, and than have a scooped eq for a tighter sound.

Also try high treble/low presence and the vice versa to get an idea of the difference between them.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at Jul 12, 2013,
Thanks everyone for your advice. After experimenting today I got an amazing tone out of my guitar. Sounded so much better than my old hand-me-down Mexican made Fender.
Good to know. Also, don't underestimate the power of your volume and tone knobs on your guitars. They can drastically change your tone.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive