As a toy, it's fine. tbh I'd just get a 1/2 scale classical guitar, it'll expose her to the idea of music much the same but has the potential of being more than a toy.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
well...that is a thought... but after taking her to see some incredible blues guitarists she likes the electric. I'm all for learning the instrument first (acoustic or no effects allowed electric)....

Guitar is my second instrument... I'm a long time drummer so I know acoustic speaks exactly what you play... I have had an electric guitar or two that sounded Beautiful without an amp in the past. She loves the drums too and frequently hops on my '62 Gretsch Round Badge kit (can't reach the pedals lol)

I'm poor so I can only buy one thing. Do they make regular acoustic guitars in 1/2 size that are playable and actually sound decent?

I've had some experiences which left me shaking my head in the chain music stores...
At one store I was first talked down to then I was pretty much pushed away by the sales guy who told me NO he won't sell me a 1/2 or 3/4 size guitar and I'd be better off with a toy...won't be going back to that store...The lost my business! I then went across the street and look at the squier mini strat and the guy was super warm and friendly and even told me to bring her in and he would see if he could help me make it...or something work. The link I posted is even smaller than that...with a 21fret neck. I'm not looking for super qulaity or anything but I want it to be playable at least... It appears to be constructed a bit better than the toy guitars at walmart and toys r us...
If you absolutely must start her off on electric the Squier is a good choice, although I'd think it to be a little discouraging as beginner amps and whatnot don't sound that pleasant. I also don't know much about 3 year olds though haha

Like do you mean steel string 1/2 size?

Although like mentioned earlier, a classical guitar will be much easier on her hands and sound more pleasant.

Hohner sells 1/2 size acoustics at GC for around $45. Specifically their HAG-250P.
Quote by ccannon1

Like do you mean steel string 1/2 size?

I meant nylon string.
Buying something nice sounding is kinda pointless because nothnig is gonna sound nice for years - you can get a child's nylon string for so cheap, and then you have like seven years before she's ready for a full scale electric anyway.
All youre trying to do is fuel an interest in the guitar.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I wouldn't buy a steel string yet, for a 3y/o girl. It won't give her finger-aids or something, but, you never know about ''injuries''.

Maybe a classical, like it was said before.
Last edited by AmirT at Jul 13, 2013,
I agree with the others a 1/2 scale classical or a Ukulele would also be a good choice. At 3 yrs old she is only "playing" with it not actually playing it.

I gave my son a Ukulele for his first "guitar" and he loves it and is clueless that it is not a "guitar".

If you must go electric Epiphone used to make the Pee-Wee LP which is a 1/2 scale electric. But it is tuned to A not E.

My oldest daughter I bought a Squire Mini Strat for when she turned 6 (she is 15 now). It is still fully functional and playable (I set it up the best it could be). It still has faults but is one of the better short scale guitars that is affordable.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i always feel weird about giving internet advice, but 3 is pretty young.

I wouldn't waste any big money on a guitar for her yet. I think a Ukulele toy is about the best - my daughter had a pink one that she'd bang on. I'd go to craigslist and try to buy one as cheap as possible.

4-5 was too young for her to even take lessons, I bought her a squier mini at christmas during this age range.

it sat for a couple years, then i started teaching her getting her finger dexterity build up a couple weeks - month. Then I put her in lessons where I could sit in, she's done well. She was 8 when she started taking lessons.

She just turned 9 and I decided to drop some $$ on a nice PRS SE for her.

I was anxious for her to start, but just remember there's plenty of time.
Even though I started in my freaking 20s, those steel strings gave my fingers a little hell. For a 3 year old I'd imagine it could be unbearable.

To which point I'm gonna side with the get a little nylon string guitar.

Don't worry about price or anything though, because she's 3. A) She doesn't know what anything should sound like. B) She may not even like playing it. And of course C) She's 3, so it could easily end up in the back of the closet in a few weeks time.
if she really wants to be a guitar player give a Ibanez micro. cheap, and comes in many different colors.
I would go for a smaller electric or the ukulele, the classical guitars have a neck that's too wide for small hands.
Here to put it into actual perspective this is my 3 yr old son and my daughters Mini Strat 3/4 scale it is bigger than he is. Go with a ukulele
Attachments:
001.jpg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There are kids and there are kids.
3 is probably too young for a 3/4 scale strat, but I've had five-year-olds pick one up and run with it (figuratively). I started playing piano at 5 and was playing 4-hour wedding receptions on piano and Hammond M3 when I was 11 (I've got pictures). That requires about the same finger strength (perhaps more, in the case of piano).

Rondo Music has both 3/4 and 1/2PP strats (with teeny tiny amps) down to around 23" scale that are only about 34" long. These can certainly be playable for a child (it'll look oversize on most 3-year-olds for a bit, but they grow faster than you imagine). About $85 http://www.rondomusic.com/product6078.html
I got the Hohner hag-250 for my son's 4th, but he's not all that interested in it. it took a bit of work ing on but now I use it for practise on.
Given a infinite number of monkeys strumming on an infinite number of guitars, eventually they will end up playing Stairway.
Three years old? Come on, man! She's Daddy's little girl! At the very least, she deserves a PRS Private Stock!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by dspellman
There are kids and there are kids.
3 is probably too young for a 3/4 scale strat, but I've had five-year-olds pick one up and run with it (figuratively). I started playing piano at 5 and was playing 4-hour wedding receptions on piano and Hammond M3 when I was 11 (I've got pictures). That requires about the same finger strength (perhaps more, in the case of piano).

Rondo Music has both 3/4 and 1/2PP strats (with teeny tiny amps) down to around 23" scale that are only about 34" long. These can certainly be playable for a child (it'll look oversize on most 3-year-olds for a bit, but they grow faster than you imagine). About $85 http://www.rondomusic.com/product6078.html

The mini strat is 22.5 or 22.75" scale and it is as big as my 3 yr old see pic above

PRS are saved for 16th birthdays in my house
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 15, 2013,