Hey guys,

Simple question: Does PG anchor his pinky or and of his fingers as a matter of fact?

When I watch him play in videos its very hard for me to tell whether he is or isn't so if any of you could help please let me know.

Thanks,
Cheers !
Not one bit, in fact I'd say Paul Gilbert is probably the best player to look at when it comes to "textbook" good technique.

Obviosuly everyone is different physically and not everything works exactly the same way for different people but Gilbert's technique is pretty straight-up with little in the way of quirks and personal idiosyncracies.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I've never known him to anchor. He has phenomenal technique.

The only thing I would say is "out of the norm" about Gilbert's technique, at least in the general opinion of many guitarists, would be his "thumb over the neck" tendency with his fret hand. I've watched Gilbert chalk it up to "it's rock guitar, not classical guitar", which in my opinion is a valid point but others may disagree. Gilbert has very large hands though, so I suppose that the thumb over the neck approach with the fretting hand wouldn't be as much as a hindrance to him as much as it would be to someone with smaller, or maybe even average sized hands.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
I've never known him to anchor. He has phenomenal technique.

The only thing I would say is "out of the norm" about Gilbert's technique, at least in the general opinion of many guitarists, would be his "thumb over the neck" tendency with his fret hand. I've watched Gilbert chalk it up to "it's rock guitar, not classical guitar", which in my opinion is a valid point but others may disagree. Gilbert has very large hands though, so I suppose that the thumb over the neck approach with the fretting hand wouldn't be as much as a hindrance to him as much as it would be to someone with smaller, or maybe even average sized hands.

Thing is though, when he needs to stretch further than his freaky big hands will let him when his thumb is over the neck his switches seamlessly to classical positioning and his technique is pretty much textbook
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 13, 2013,
Yeah, Gilbert's technique is flawless!
....although i wouldn't call anchoring a "flaw", per se. To do so would be an insult to John Petrucci's technique, which would of course initiate Ragnarok.