Quote by logicbdj
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/logicbdj/music/all/play1205831

Instrumental using a JEM Custom through a Pritchard Amp.

OK....So u got the axe, u got the amp, u got the distortion, u got the squeals, u got the song....So whats missing ? In a word, ,,,,,TASTE.....Slow it down and show a little style fer krimer sake....lol....just my 2 cents ......U wanna hear what an award-winning solo track sounds like ? I entered this lead over a given blues track and went up against 300 other slayers...I used 4 different techniques and triple harmonies....Caught 'em all off guard.....They went nuts...I brought the TASTE and took home the gold ...If yer curious: http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=11808880&q=hi&newref=1
You caught me off guard too... boring. At times it's like you don't know what notes to play, so you keep yammering on the same one, with pick clicking sounds. Yah, I can add some taste if I play slower, but this song plays at a particular tempo. Play something about twice the speed and show me your taste. And for other readers, I'm not knocking feedback, but when you get a guy talking about 'award-winning' and says my song has no taste (defined as a personal preference or liking, which varies considerably among people), then whatever... his song is not to my 'taste,' just like a certain artist may not be to your taste or that of other people. But liking something is irrelevant to the qualities within the song or what it tries to bring forward.
Quote by logicbdj
You caught me off guard too... boring. At times it's like you don't know what notes to play, so you keep yammering on the same one, with pick clicking sounds. Yah, I can add some taste if I play slower, but this song plays at a particular tempo. Play something about twice the speed and show me your taste. And for other readers, I'm not knocking feedback, but when you get a guy talking about 'award-winning' and says my song has no taste (defined as a personal preference or liking, which varies considerably among people), then whatever... his song is not to my 'taste,' just like a certain artist may not be to your taste or that of other people. But liking something is irrelevant to the qualities within the song or what it tries to bring forward.

Uhmmmmm, OK.....Still, I think good ol fashioned practice and experience will eventually give yer style the maturity it desperately needs ....Ciao
How long have you been playing... and will you eventually drop that high treble bumble-bee tone? I think regular practice and experience would help all players... no? Usually when you critique something, you discuss what is good and what can be done to fix parts or improve aspects of playing, rather than brag about your award-winning abilities and that a person's song is not to YOUR taste. Best wishes!
I'll check out both of these shortly, but XF2, before anything else, I just want to say, barging into someone else's thread and trying to make it all about you isn't smart if you want people to like you. Especially if you just registered here, and especially if you type like a 12-year-old girl. It's just not... what's the word I'm looking for? It's not in good taste.

Now that that's out of the way:

logicbdj: The biggest thing I'm noticing is the lack of phrasing. If, instead of just playing note after note after note, you give the individual phrases some room, it'll sound much better. For example, cutting off for a bit after those long notes at 1:12.
Your tone is flat, from a stereo perspective. It's got some effects on it (I'm hearing delay and chorus), but they're all mono. Using a stereo delay and giving the chorus some width will make it more immersive. This is really important if you're not going to be layering the guitar at all, and just using one track for lead and rhythm.
But this is still good, even if 80s rock isn't my thing. Compared to some of the older stuff on your profile, it looks like your composition, timing, and tone have come a long way. Some fast legato runs here and there might be the next step, to get to the next level in terms of dynamics.

XF2: You really want to be Steve Vai, don't you? That's okay, so does everyone. There's some good phrasing going on here, but the looooooong "emotional" bends are just a hackneyed cliché at this point. Good work including some fast bits, but the contrast is just too forced to work. It goes like this: sleep-inducing bends -> OMG SHRED -> bends -> I'M PLAYING FAST -> yawn, with nothing in between.
Your tone's okay (again, going for the Vai sound), but everything I said about stereo depth goes double. Stacking mono harmonies on top of each other is sandpaper on the ears to me.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jul 13, 2013,
Actually, I have quite a bit of delay in there, although I toned down the repeats (it started sounding messy, if you know what I mean... my 'cleanliness' is coming along, but needs obvious improvement). I'll look into the stereo thing. I'm only using one delay pedal (Boomerang), and so I'm not sure how to get the echo going back and forth... unless you have electronic set-up tips. Are two pedals required for that?
The key word is "stereo", not "delay". A guitar is a mono signal, and so it needs something (usually reverb or stereo delay) to give it depth. The trick is to get the left and right signals to be slightly different, and setting them to echo differently with a delay is one way of doing that.
You can do it in post, too. Your DAW should have some kind of delay effect built in, and you can use that on the guitar track (instead of a pedal) and adjust the stereo offset.
XF2: You really want to be Steve Vai, don't you? That's okay, so does everyone. There's some good phrasing going on here, but the looooooong "emotional" bends are just a hackneyed cliché at this point. Good work including some fast bits, but the contrast is just too forced to work. It goes like this: sleep-inducing bends -> OMG SHRED -> bends -> I'M PLAYING FAST -> yawn, with nothing in between.
Your tone's okay (again, going for the Vai sound), but everything I said about stereo depth goes double. Stacking mono harmonies on top of each other is sandpaper on the ears to me.

Thank you for the constructive feedback....In reality I wasn't really lookin to shoot mortars at Logicbdj, It's just that:

1.) I'm more of a David Gilmour high-note taste THANG kinda guy ...and
2.) It's fairly obvious to hear somebody playing out of their comfort zone....Logic even admitted the fast tempo was the driving force here and IMO, it shows...Not interested in WW3 here....nuff said.....

Now, back to my cheesey riff....INDEED, you hit the head of the nail on the contest entry...They gave us a shitty "blues track" backing track that I don't think was blues very much at all and each of us got only about 1:20 to pull off a riff, SOOOOO I decided to pull a game-changer and instead of just recording some pentatonic tom-foolery in one-take, I decided to see how far I could push my entry using MUTLIPLE trax.....THUS, I came up with the super high intro, the triple harmonies, the pup tap, dive bombs, hammer on/ offs and finished it with a Scorpions "winds of change" ending....lol...It was considered SO over the top that I, in fact, was given the "Steve Vai Award" (yes) and that was that.....Yes, it was cheesey of me to stomp on logic's thread with my stuff and for that I apologise.....Lee
I write stuff to challenge my comfort zone... been playing for 3.5 years. My practice is based on what challenges I create within my songs, as opposed to traditional practice of scales, etc. Best wishes, oh great one!