Hey guys, I have a quick question. This is driving me absolutely insane because it is completely eliminating any chance of recording.

When I play certain riffs, mainly picked out chords, the lower notes completely drown out the higher notes... So instead of hearing the melody, I can only hear what the Low E is doing, and not the other strings. I've been playing with EQ for hours and have come to no solution. Any help is greatly appreciated.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by acidhendrix
I've been playing with EQ for hours and have come to no solution

It's not as simple as that...could be your pickups are too high, could be your amp is dialled in wrong, could be a poor mic choice, could be mismatched impedence, could be your monitors, could be user error....you get the idea.

A rough idea of your signal chain and an audio clip would help loads.
You could try some compression, ideally in a pedal between guitar and amp, but a plug-in could help too.

There are a million other things it could be, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Np, and thanks for replies. I was able to get a tone from the Rp355 that allowed the mids and highs to come through a lot clearer, etc.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
I second the pick-up height, it also depends on the strings you're using, the scale of your guitar and the wood used to make your guitar. Try lowering the the pick-up on the side of the low strings, so theres more input on the high string end. drop around 200hz and maybe a boost in the 5khz region to help definition. For example, if like me, you have a Gibson Les Paul and you play in drop B, it can cause issues on post production cos the sound can muddy due to the wood, and having the pick-up far too close to the strings.
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2