I think everyone knows the sound I'm talking about, it will usually be in the intro of a song where it starts out lo-fi and swells up to the normal sound, then the whole band comes in. For example in the beginning of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYpN8skXeqE

I couple songs in my band have that effect and I can get it easily in post editing in the recording program, but live I have to try and get the same effect by rocking my wah pedal very slowly. It works, but it just doesn't have that super deep mid range swell I want.

Is their any pedal out there than can do that for live situations? preferably one with an expression pedal so I can control the swell manually?
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Is putting your wah in the effects loop feasible? Grabbing a very cheap one just to use for this and leaving it right in front of FX return sounds like the best way to me.
Last edited by jameswilddev at Jul 12, 2013,
What difference would having it in the FX loop make? I have a line 6 M13 in the FX loop with a bunch of wah patches in it, none of them sound right. They all just sound like wah pedals. I almost want a flanger that I can control the sweep manually.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Not that this is "HOW" you do it but the way I would go about it with the gear i have is to set up an eq with the bass cut out and the high's cut out (That will give you the low fi sound). Then use a volume pedal to swell up and hit full volume maybe 2 beats before the band comes in and when the band comes in just kick that eq off..
Quote by xXBansheeXx
What difference would having it in the FX loop make?

the wah would sound more intense and the bandpass would be more noticeable. from what i am hearing from you it sounds like you know what you want so you'll probably want some kinda LP filter.

Quote by xXBansheeXx
Is their any pedal out there than can do that for live situations? preferably one with an expression pedal so I can control the swell manually?

yes, i have two pedals that have expression pedal LP capabilities. unfortunately they are expensive.

Moog MF-101 Low Pass Filter. dedicated LP filter with envelope controls and lots of expression pedal inputs. incredibly useable for a variety of applications.

Electroharmonix HOG (Harmonic Octave Generator). mainly used as an octave/harmonizer pedal but has a LP filter with limited adjustable parameters and expression control. very useful for a huge sound because LP filters sound more dramatic with rich harmonic content. i love using this pedal for bass synth.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Alternatively, a Korg Monotron modded to have an expression pedal input is incredible for this; nice resonant low pass filter for £30.
Try usng an EQ on the m13 and set the exp to control the frequencies. Take out all the highs and lows and then have the exp control them so you can fade them back to normal.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣