This is a total noob question here but help me out or point me in the right direction.
Here's what I understand (in context of a standard 5 piece rock band), correct me if I'm wrong:

The Melody is performed by the singer and, at times, lead guitarist. The explanation I keep finding from here and around the web is "the tune of the song/that catchy part that we remember it by. For example 'Happy Birthday To You' is all melody"

The Harmony is similar to melody but it supports it rather than stand out. I've read that it has the power to change the feeling of the song. I assume this is more chord progressions and fulfilled by the rhythm guitarist and sometimes the bassist?

The Rhythm is the beat and the count in the song, basically setting the tempo(?). Also noted in sheet music by the time signature. This would be handled by the bassist and the drummer.

Lastly, on a slightly unrelated note, what is a symphony? I keep finding confusing answers saying that it's a piece with 3-9 movements but I can't find anything explaining the essence of what makes a symphony a symphony.

Thanks again in advance, this site is a HUGE blessing for us youngsters :P

~Grey
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Quote by eric_wearing
Lastly, on a slightly unrelated note, what is a symphony? I keep finding confusing answers saying that it's a piece with 3-9 movements but I can't find anything explaining the essence of what makes a symphony a symphony.

Think of a symphony as several long songs (known as "movements") that all fit together. Basically, a symphony tells an aural story; meaning the idea is that, instead of words, you have music do the "storytelling". What makes a symphony a symphony is simply having many instruments and 3-9 movements (on average). If you really want to understand, the best thing to do is to LISTEN to various symphonies.

Edit:
You pretty much got everything correct.

Edit2:
This may help you grasp symphonies a bit more, but I still advise you to listen. Music is all about using your ear, after all.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 12, 2013,
thanks much, to youtube I go!
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!