Hi everyone,

I recently started playing the guitar and have been practicing and attempting to learn more songs. I am able to play chords and a few simple songs but I have been finding it difficult to figure out the strum patterns of the songs.

How did you learn to figure out strum patterns? I have looked at some "how to play" videos but I cant find videos for some of the songs I want to learn.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks, or maybe some resources that could help me out?

Thanks so much,
Rebecca
I never really learned "down up up down down up" kinda strumming patterns. What I do is get familiar with the song and try to sing the quitar part, either in my head or aloud. I find being able to sing it makes being able to play it a breeze.
I tap out the rhythm on my knee with my picking hand then play it on my guitar however feels natural.
Quote by Himynameisben95
What I do is get familiar with the song and try to sing the quitar part, either in my head or aloud. I find being able to sing it makes being able to play it a breeze.

This is a good one. If you can do this, then it means you have it internalized.

I find listening to the drums also helps (although not all songs have drums I know), because that is where you will pick up the main beat (pulse) of the music.
Here's my reply to a similar thread some time ago.

Quote by triface
Honestly, I've never gotten the point of strumming patterns. I just listen to the recording to see what rhythm they're using.

IMO, unless you're in an ensemble where even your strumming counts as part of the visual aesthetic, it doesn't matter.

I am fully prepared to be proven wrong, however.