i was just wondering if there is a term for this or if others experience this. ever since i can remember i've had music in my head playing. sometimes songs, sometimes stuff from my mind i suppose, sometimes just bits and pieces of things jumbled together, sometimes it's an almost OCD moment and a part of a song will play forever until i listen to that song or i get exhausted from it or manage to take my mind off it. however, my dreams are not like this which i find interesting. in fact, i've only had a handful of dreams where i'm playing or hearing music. most dreams involve a struggle or journey of some kind or i'm not myself, or watching myself, or both.

i thought everyone was like this but the more people i tell the more i find that it doesn't seem to be the case. is this maybe something a lot of musicians have? some sort of born desire for music? just an open discussion, also i want to learn more about this and if there is some research i can find. i don't know what to look for though. if i search "hearing music in my head all the time" i get mostly things on listening to loud music too much or too long.
I don't know, I am wondering the same thing, just never got around to researching it.

Anyways, not sure, think the last part about the loud music for too long, would actually be tinnitus, but that is just a ringing or beeping in your ears(wish someone would have told me you are supposed to bring earplugs to a concert).

Yeah, would be nice to find out if it is normal or not.
i do this a lot, though probably not as frequent as you're describing. i always chalked it up to boredom.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Maybe from spending so long thinking about music and all, but I find that if I leave the house without my iPod, within 5 minutes I come up with images and melodies and such; sometimes I'll have to rush back home to record them! I've never questioned it - it seems to work well for me. Maybe not normal, but not really weird or anything. Use it to your advantage!
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
You mean like "earworm"? Because what you described sounds like an "earworm". And it's really common, I wonder how your friends have never experienced it or maybe your explanation was kind of confusing. But it's really common that some piece that you have recently been listening to rings in your head (though sometimes it's a random piece that you haven't heard in a long time).

BTW, I once wrote a guitar riff in my dreams. But yeah, my dreams aren't usually about music either.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
You mean like "earworm"? Because what you described sounds like an "earworm". And it's really common, I wonder how your friends have never experienced it or maybe your explanation was kind of confusing. But it's really common that some piece that you have recently been listening to rings in your head (though sometimes it's a random piece that you haven't heard in a long time).

BTW, I once wrote a guitar riff in my dreams. But yeah, my dreams aren't usually about music either.

i don't know if that's quite it. never heard of that, just looked it up. the way they describe it, some of it does seem similar but others not. i think the problem is it's just hard to explain to others. the thing i read did say that people with OCD have this more however and i know i have some OCD tendencies. however, for the most part and i can switch the song in my head, make up new stuff if i want, etc... but all the time. if i'm talking to people, i hear background music. it's not like it takes over the convo though. usually if there is enough going on i can drown it out. but like i said i do have times where it does seem uncontrollable.

i should maybe also mention i'm bi polar and i don't know if that means anything towards this. i find when i'm stressed or sometimes when i'm really manic the OCD kinda ramps up a bit more in day to day life as well as the music aspect. i end up getting very angry and refuse to stop until it's done. i remember playing the same drum beat for literally 5 hours while recording, minimal breaks, but i just couldn't stand the thought of me not getting it right or not getting out the music in my head. i can end up yelling, breaking things, just self destructive stuff mostly, i wouldn't hurt anyone (i might insult them).

so what, is it just earworm mixed with bi polarity and OCD tendencies? i do find it less intense now that i play guitar, bass, piano, drums, and anything else lying around as well as singing and writing. if i don't get the music out though i go a little nutty lol. it probably helps to be a little crazy when trying to be an artist though :P
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jul 13, 2013,
I know what you're talking about. Ever since I was a kid I've had music playing in my head. Most often it's songs I know or have just heard but other times it's melodies my mind seems to have come up with at random. Never stops. I've never really thought of it as a bad thing though, it doesn't drive me crazy or anything.

EDIT: Yes, we artists are a bit odd.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Last edited by SGFAN4174 at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by SGFAN4174
I know what you're talking about. Ever since I was a kid I've had music playing in my head. Most often it's songs I know or have just heard but other times it's melodies my mind seems to have come up with at random. Never stops. I've never really thought of it as a bad thing though, it doesn't drive me crazy or anything.

EDIT: Yes, we artists are a bit odd.

yeah you don't have to be crazy to be an artist, but it helps :P
A song I like or recently heard is kind of the default mode in my head if I'm not thinking of anything else at the time. It's weird, my mind just wanders to a song, then I usually start singing it if I'm alone or at work.

Sometimes, there's still music going in the background in my head even if I'm reading or doing something that requires some degree of mental focus. The whole time I've been typing this, I've had the first verse and chorus of "Suit and Tie" by Justin Timberlake looping in my head because I just heard it like 20 minutes ago.

It's been happening since I was a kid though, before I ever picked up an instrument. I remember a conversation I had with my dad when I was like 5. He asked what I think about when I spar in karate class and I said I hear a song in my head. He said "Noooo! You have to imagine someone you hate so you get mad!" Karate wasn't my thing.
I hear music in my head all day long too! Generally I'll get ideas for riffs, chord progressions, lead lines, etc, running through my mind and that really makes me crave my guitar.

The hard part of this whole phenomenon is taking those musical ideas you hear in your head and making them come to life with your instrument! Its fun, sometimes frustrating, but very rewarding!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Jul 15, 2013,
hmmm maybe it's a musician thing then. i wonder if there's any studies on it out there. i always find it strange like if i'm sitting in a car with someone, i might ask them if they hear music in their head right now. they usually say no, and i'm thinking "you're just sitting in silence?" i dunno, that thought seems so odd to me lol.
a musical mind will produce a soundtrack to the daily events of you life. that's how it is for me at least...and some places/events are more inspiring than others.
Im surprised people do NOT hear music in their head, and can,t even write melody in their head.

We can amazingly conjure up images in our mind up to the point of lucid dreams, with complete interaction of multiple images and characters, pulled from a pool of fiction and reality, a complete story.

With audio it takes time to even be able to hum melodies accurately.

I mean I understand that our visual skills are more developed, but that there is such a huge difference baffles me.

Also I find it easier to accurately make songs in my head between 9:30-12ish AM. After that it becomes less accurate for me

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 16, 2013,