Page 1 of 2
Hi folks,

I want a strat. The reason being is mainly the tone. I love the classic strat tone. SRV, KWS, Hendrix, Joe Mayer, John Frusciante, Eric Johnson. I love the spank and clank and bite.

As you can guess I am a blues rock player. I also touch in to classic rock, funk and jazz. In fact a lot of funky elements enter my blues rock playing.

Recently I tried some strats. A Modern Player HSS - A pretty cool guitar with a good sound and very fast neck. I was actually very impressed by it but it felt a bit cheap, a Mexican Standard - This guitar was good, just as I expected really, and a Classic Player 50's - this was really nice, great quality and the neck felt great, but the pickups were not right for what I like and it is not suited to big bends like Albert King territory.

What I liked about the 50's neck is the soft V as I like to play with my thumb over the fretboard, and do fret with my thumb a lot. So the V fits nicely in the palm. I want a strat that suits this.

I have though about buying the 50's and swapping the pups, but I'd have a rosewood board with a slightly larger radius if I could to.

I have look at the KWS sig, which has pickups designed just for the sound I love and a neck design for thumb over player, playing hard and big bends. So maybe that is the fit.

But I'd appreciate some other recommendations to. Any tips or warnings?

Budget - Ideally £650 but I can save up, I'm a patient person. Maximum £800. I am in the UK. I am willing to go used.

I currently have a Jackson Dinky is my main guitar, but the flat fretboard isnt best suited to thumb over playing and is also not great for barre chords. But its great for any heavier stuff I play.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
You may also want to ask this guy where HE shops:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1609222

...or drop a line in the Stratocaster Lovers thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31674592#post31674592
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I would suggest either a MIM 60's re-issue or a Squier Classic vibe 60's model which blows away the Fender MIM Standard Strat .
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jkielq91
wow big thanks for the list.

I had a teacher at college who is endorsed by fret king.

They are good guitars.

I'm in Texas, where I have my pick of Fenders, and the occasional G&L and Godin also pop up. However, I went out on a limb earlier this year and imported a Fret-King Super 60HB- untested- from the guys at Frets. (They were quite helpful.)

The guitar is everything I thought it would be. Good feel, good tone. When I took it into my local shop to get a proper HSC for it, the salesmen felt it was a lot like G&L from the feel and ergonomics.

My only gripe is the quirkiness of the particular Wilkinson tremolo on that model. Instead of screwing into place, you simply slide it into its socket and use an Allen wrench to tighten the socket (via a screw under the bridge), securing the bar. It is effective, but not quick. And if you don't tighten the socket enough- and I RARELY do- the bar can slowly slide down into the socket with vigorous playing. That means it can eventually wind up low enough to start colliding with the knobs.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 13, 2013,
If you have 650 pounds to play with, you can easily find a used American Standard or even a Deluxe for under 800.

However, i recently learned that Strats are all about the soul by putting together my own. I suggest doing something similar, you have way more invested into it and it's _your_ strat. Grab a Classic Vibe 50s and spend the rest of the money upgrading the shit out of it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
If you have 650 pounds to play with, you can easily find a used American Standard or even a Deluxe for under 800.

However, i recently learned that Strats are all about the soul by putting together my own. I suggest doing something similar, you have way more invested into it and it's _your_ strat. Grab a Classic Vibe 50s and spend the rest of the money upgrading the shit out of it.

How much did you change in this classic vibe to make it your own? Pick ups seem the most obvious. What else?
^^^ I'll go out on a limb and say that the way to attach the trem arm on that wilky is the most annoying way ever.

Did the wee grub screw ever fall out on you? it gets *really* annoying when that happens
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^^ I'll go out on a limb and say that the way to attach the trem arm on that wilky is the most annoying way ever.

Did the wee grub screw ever fall out on you? it gets *really* annoying when that happens

Which is why a Callaham bridge is the way to go.
Quote by Ippon
Which is why a Callaham bridge is the way to go.

probably costs more than i paid for the guitar
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well probably not, to be fair, but i think they are meant to be pretty dear. More than i'd want to put into the guitar, at any rate.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

And its a damn shame because it is in all other ways an awesome bit of work. I'm no whammy-rider, but I've had that thing for months and it hasn't once detuned in me do to use.

Not so far.

Maybe I'll give it a good screwing tonight to make sure that doesn't happen.

Waitaminit...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
And its a damn shame because it is in all other ways an awesome bit of work. I'm no whammy-rider, but I've had that thing for months and it hasn't once detuned in me do to use.

Not so far.

You love your guitar for a long time!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Not so far.

Waitaminit...

LOL

but yeah i mean it's a good trem other than that. i think they did it to avoid a collar, which looks less "vintage". i'll take less vintage over that mechanism, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jkielq91
How much did you change in this classic vibe to make it your own? Pick ups seem the most obvious. What else?

Well mine isn't a Classic Vibe, it was an incredibly shitty Squier Affinity. I've replaced the tuners with grovers (made an instantly huge difference), the electronics to actual quality stuff, the pickups to a fender custom shop in the neck and middle, a kent armstrong powerblade hot rails in the bridge, i've replaced the neck with a way higher quality one, and im going to put in a better bridge.

so all in all i've spent less than $300 total, including the guitar, and it's better than any MIM i've ever played. A Classic Vibe won't need a new neck and bridge, and the tuners are optional. So including the guitar, you could spend 400ish pounds and have a guitar almost as good as any MIA Standard.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

^ or maybe a better plan would be getting an MIJ tokai for that kinda money. or even a fretking blue label.

Just sayin'...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not really but i'm guessing you can do a lot better for your budget...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 on the tokai strats.

+1 on the G&L.

i haven't tried a fret king so comment on those.

+1 on the wilky trem adjustment screw being a major pita. mine is loose and man it's irritating as ****.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
if you ask me, that's a lot of money- for a new one, let alone a used one. YMMV, of course.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by jkielq91
Used Classic Player 60's for £559?

Bleh. Wouldnt go more than 500, maybe even 450.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by jkielq91
Any opinions on the Jimmie Vaughan Tex Mex Strat?

You hit the nail on the head. That is the guitar I was going to recommend. I've owned a couple, and have found it to be one of my favorite Strats that I've ever played, and my bar none favorite at its price point. It's perfect for what you want, although there may be better options in your price range.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
You hit the nail on the head. That is the guitar I was going to recommend. I've owned a couple, and have found it to be one of my favorite Strats that I've ever played, and my bar none favorite at its price point. It's perfect for what you want, although there may be better options in your price range.

Thanks for the info.

G&L guitars are not very common here in the UK.
Quote by gregs1020
+1 on the tokai strats.

+1 on the G&L.

i haven't tried a fret king so comment on those. .

I like the tokai's , real good quality , a tribute G & L will be real nice too
Quote by jkielq91
They are £610 new.

that's an awful lot of money new if you ask me, and not a whole heap less (10%? that's terrible I'd be expecting 10% if I bought new, really) for being second hand. considering you can get an MIJ tokai for £100 less than that... (and if it doesn't have to look like a strat, you can get the tokai gs100 for around £400)
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 16, 2013,
I tried a Fret King LP style guitar a few times at a blues jam. It belongs to one of the other regulars. I find it to be ok but I wouldnt buy one because it felt a bit plasticy to me and the knobs were not the most sturdy.

Is this common with Fret King?
i dunno, i've only tried the fender-style ones. they have a satin finish on the necks so don't feel plasticky to play. the electronics probably are the weakest link in the guitar, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I haven't had any issues with mine...besides the weird tremolo securing mechanism Wilkinson used on it, of course.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That trem...OY VEY!

It was only my second guitar with a trem, and the previous one screws into place. The Wilky arm has threading on its inside for a screw, so I was looking for what it threaded to. And there was a screw that was included with the guitar that fit the threading*, so I figured it had to go in from the backside. When I opened up the back, I found no place for the screw to go. Eventually, I contacted the guys at both Fret-King and Frets Guitar Centre for illumination. Both responded very quickly...but the guys at Frets actually sent me pictures.

It seems that the trem arm in that Wilky is used on more than one of their tremolos, one of which mounts the arm on some kind of threaded screw. I like that- its efficient machining doing that, using one part to fit several designs is a good way to keep costs down.

But the pressure set wilkinson mechanism should never have been made!

*ahem*

Still, for all of its oddity, it sure does work as advertised.

Dave- what kind of electronic issues are you talking about? Bad wiring? Or just finding the pickups not to your liking?

* to this day, I don't know what that screw goes to.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 16, 2013,
Page 1 of 2