genius thinks hes better than everyone else and gets encouragement.. the bum doesn't give a shit..

do you think if you were treated as an outcast (like in enders game) you'd actually care enough to be good at something?

thoughts
I haven't read Ender's Game. Check your literate privilege.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by captainsnazz
¯\_(ツ_/¯

i love you guys... i made it through high school on UG... you dont even know how much you've influenced me...

if only i could hug you all at once
Quote by Hydra150
I haven't read Ender's Game. Check your literate privilege.

they're coming out with a movie in november i think... its a good book, definitely worth a read
I might do that
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by geetarguy13
genius thinks hes better than everyone else and gets encouragement.. the bum doesn't give a shit..

thoughts

is that the starting point for this discussion? lol.

you assume that all people with a high iq (which is how most people define genius) have a superiority complex - which is not necessarily true. you're also assuming that all people with a high iq get encouragement... again, not true.

you're also assuming being a "genius" and being lazy are mutually exclusive.... and that every "genius" will "give a shit." (give a shit about what?)

OP is a mess.

sigless
Last edited by sysD at Jul 12, 2013,
a genius and smart and a bum not productive--or the other meaning of the word bum means a homeless person or a beggar. There are probably some genius bums and some bum geniuses. Speaking of shit, this thread is a piece of it.
Listen. I'm sorry.
There are probably some genius bums,
and some bum geniuses.
Speaking of shit,
this thread is a piece of it

-Vilk
Quote by rob904
There are probably some genius bums,
and some bum geniuses.
Speaking of shit,
this thread is a piece of it

-Vilk

and again in haiku:

There's some genius bums,
and bum geniuses; speaking
of shit, this is shit.

-Vilk

haiku fail
sigless
Quote by geetarguy13

do you think if you were treated as an outcast (like in enders game) you'd actually care enough to be good at something?

Except that Ender knew he was recruited to the school for a reason. He realized the school (or whoever it was that ran it, read the book last year and can't remember names) was keeping him from getting comfortable and "outcasting" him to make him stronger.

In our lives we aren't assured that this "outcasting" will return motivation/positive results. So that comparison isn't exactly the best.

But to answer the actual question, yes, because it has for me.
Naw. There are some dumb as shit lazy bums and some humble geniuses out there.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by sysD
and again in haiku:

of shit, this is shit.

-Vilk

haiku fail

You son of a bitch, I was going to do that in a Haiku
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
The act of labeling or categorizing someone under a certain group (which is associated with certain characteristics) is very powerful, and influential in how they turn out.

Also, if you look at all of the true geniuses in history, not many of them were recognized as such until after their death.

Just putting some ideas out there.
Quote by Skynyrd890
You son of a bitch, I was going to do that in a Haiku

yours probably would have been better
sigless
Quote by sysD
yours probably would have been better

Probably would have been exactly the same as yours lol.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by sysD
and again in haiku:

of shit, this is shit.

-Vilk

haiku fail

Geniuses of bum
And bum geniuses exist -
but this thread is shit

better? :P
Quote by zincabopataurio
The act of labeling or categorizing someone under a certain group (which is associated with certain characteristics) is very powerful, and influential in how they turn out.

i read somewhere about an experiment where average grade school students were told they were a select group of "smart kids" who were to be given special assignments. the kids were given the same assignments that they're peers were studying but finished in almost half the time. these children BECAME exceptional merely because they were TOLD they were exceptional.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
i read somewhere about an experiment where average grade school students were told they were a select group of "smart kids" who were to be given special assignments. the kids were given the same assignments that they're peers were studying but finished in almost half the time. these children BECAME exceptional merely because they were TOLD they were exceptional.

Yeah man, positive recognition does wonders for kids lol.

But then again, you might have a kid who thrives in an advanced placement stream with challenging coursework.
Take that same kid and put him back in a regular curriculum classroom - he might start getting shitty grades, develop behavioural problems, and develop a lasting disinterest in learning due to not being challenged.

Take a kid who doesn't have the fundamentals down and put him in a more challenging stream, he'll develop those same negative attributes, but for the opposite reason.

So, yeah. Its not really black and white. I guess its a mix of IQ and recognition for accomplishments. I don't think that kudos should just be indiscriminately handed out, though. That just cheapens it for the people who really do put in effort in order to achieve something.
sigless
Quote by sysD

So, yeah. Its not really black and white. I guess its a mix of IQ and recognition for accomplishments. I don't think that kudos should just be indiscriminately handed out, though. That just cheapens it for the people who really do put in effort in order to achieve something.

agreed.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96