Hi, i am just beginning to get somewhat okay at playing guitar and i plan on playing a small gig soon but the thing is i own a fender squier (not the USA make) which has sorta really weak pick ups and also hums a lot. I play covers of bands like Deep purple, ACDC, Black Sabbath, Judas priest, UFO and Motorhead.

RIght now i don't have much money to spend on new gear so i am thinking of spending money on good gear once i get better and play bigger gigs. Kindly let me know which pick ups i should go for and if i should make any more changes to the current fender squier i own to be able to play the covers of above bands for gigs.

Please do keep in mind that i haven't been playing guitar for that long so i am a noob when it comes to gear and other things so it would be better if you can provide me detailed answer. My budget is around 200$. I got the guitar for 206$
Cheers!
Maybe some single coil sized humbuckers or rails? GFS makes some decent ones for people on a budget. What amp are you running through out of curiosity?
Quote by telemetal
Maybe some single coil sized humbuckers or rails? GFS makes some decent ones for people on a budget. What amp are you running through out of curiosity?

Thanks for the suggestion, actually i jus own a small practice amp as i have jus been a bedroom guitarist so far but there is a local store where in i will be able to find a decent amp just for the gig.
These kick arse. I've got the tele version in my tele. They've got P90 like output. Huge midrange without losing all your top end. Really warm pickup for a single coil, if you want twangy look elsewhere but for what you want to play I'd just grab the quarter pounders. It's as close as you'll get to Tony Iommi without having to modify your guitar.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/high-output/index.php?page=2
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
These kick arse. I've got the tele version in my tele. They've got P90 like output. Huge midrange without losing all your top end. Really warm pickup for a single coil, if you want twangy look elsewhere but for what you want to play I'd just grab the quarter pounders. It's as close as you'll get to Tony Iommi without having to modify your guitar.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/high-output/index.php?page=2

Thanks for the recco , even if i can play and get my guitar to sound close to 1/ millionth of what The Riff God sounds like then it will be a great day indeed
Of course though, even his exact pickups won't sound like him unless you have the right amp. That's a cranked Laney tube amp. These days he's using his Signature Laney GH100TI. He may be using the new TI100 now, not sure. I haven't tried the TI100 but the GH100TI was a ball tearer of an amp.
There's a 15W combo version now too. The TI15-112. Haven't heard it, no idea what it's like.

A proper tube Marshall is probably what you really need. Would span more of what you play. A JCM2000 DSL would probably be the easiest way to go. Quarter Pounders into a DSL is an awesome combination.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Of course though, even his exact pickups won't sound like him unless you have the right amp. That's a cranked Laney tube amp. These days he's using his Signature Laney GH100TI. He may be using the new TI100 now, not sure. I haven't tried the TI100 but the GH100TI was a ball tearer of an amp.
There's a 15W combo version now too. The TI15-112. Haven't heard it, no idea what it's like.

A proper tube Marshall is probably what you really need. Would span more of what you play. A JCM2000 DSL would probably be the easiest way to go. Quarter Pounders into a DSL is an awesome combination.

Oh actually i had already decided on my ideal guitar and amp before even playing guitar lol it was and still is Gibson SG and ENGL powerball amp

Btw where can i learn about how amps, pick ups, live sound etc work? because i am almost an illiterate when it comes to technology but i am willing to learn about them.
Lurking in this section of UG is a good place to start. There are actually quite a few knowledgable people that regularly post here in GG&A. There are a few fools too. If people on the "who to listen to" list tell you somebody's a moron, listen to them. Sorting the gurus from the geese is the trick. Navigate past that and there's a lot of information to be had.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Lurking in this section of UG is a good place to start. There are actually quite a few knowledgable people that regularly post here in GG&A. There are a few fools too. If people on the "who to listen to" list tell you somebody's a moron, listen to them. Sorting the gurus from the geese is the trick. Navigate past that and there's a lot of information to be had.

Thanks again.
If your budget is at the $200.00 mark and you're using a small practice amp, maybe you should see about upgrading your amp instead , huh ? For that price I'm sure you can find something used that has plenty of power like a Fender Frontman 212R which is a 100 watt combo.
Quote by jeffo46
If your budget is at the $200.00 mark and you're using a small practice amp, maybe you should see about upgrading your amp instead , huh ? For that price I'm sure you can find something used that has plenty of power like a Fender Frontman 212R which is a 100 watt combo.

yes actually i am saving up for a new amp, like i said i have never really played outta my bedroom till now so never actually felt the need for another amp but now since i am beginning to get out and play in front of few people i am actually saving up to buy a decent amp.