Hi, I just recently started getting somewhat okay at playing guitar and i am interested in learning theory, i wanted to know some good resources from where i can learn about guitar music theory and if the 'sticky' by 'elvenkindje' is a good starting point to begin learning theory.
cheers!
Try checking out musictheory DOT net. It's pretty much the goto site around here for basic theory and notation.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
Quote by MattyBoy 1337
Try checking out musictheory DOT net. It's pretty much the goto site around here for basic theory and notation.

Thanks for the recco, looks like a great website with lot of info.
Hey Sundar,

We teach it and then apply that information specifically to the guitar. If you would like a catalog of all that we do and teach, send me a message. There's also a guy that has a free, self taught website. Google Mike Dodge. Personally, I think musictheory.net is okay for what it is, but my chief criticism is it's nothing new, and it's exactly traditional. I'm not a fan of the traditional way that guitar is taught or music theory is taught. I don't find it to be effective.

Best,

Sean
This is going to sound like an odd angle, but I find that learning theory is a lot easier if also learning keyboard/piano due to the layout as opposed to the guitar. Once learnt, it is then easier to transfer that learning over to the guitar. Just a suggestion. PLus you would not have to take the keyboard/piano playing to an extreme - just quick basic, with the focus on learning the theory. Hope this helps.
i bought a theory workbook suggested to me by my guitar teacher, and the book covers a LOT of ground. good explanations and tons of practice questions.

it's called 'the complete elementary music rudiments' by mark sarnecki. you'd have to buy the answer book as well.