Ok, forgive me if this is a complete noob question, but here goes.

I got a Laney GH50L recently, and I love the way it sounds...but only with my carvin guitar. I tried the other two guitars I own (listed below) and they sound so incredibly dull through this amp I can't believe it. I can barely stand to play them through the amp they sound so much worse. Is this just the quality of the instruments in question? Or is it possible something is wrong with them? I've only played regularly through a Vypyr prior to the new Laney.

I don't have much experience with 'higher' end music gear, so be gentle
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
The strings are probably older than dirt.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Your Carvin has single coil pickups, doesn't it? The other guitars have humbuckers. Maybe you like the single coil sound. Single coils have brighter sound than humbuckers (they also have more "twang"). And the other guitars may sound dull because of your settings. You need to tweak your amp settings.

Is it like this:

Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 13, 2013,
Could be the pickups, although I like the carvin better on chunky gain settings and clean settings over the other two. I thought single coils are suppose to be 'worse' for higher gain then humbuckers? I haven't played around with the amp settings too much either, I just got kind of freaked at how different they sound. I don't know, maybe I just found my sound or something.
The gear:

Carvin Bolt Classic
PRS SE Singlecut
Agile AL-1900
Peavey Vypyr 2
No, single coils aren't worse for higher gain sounds. But they might not be the ideal sound for extreme metal. I think Iron Maiden used single coils, at least in their first albums. It's a different sound, not worse or better, just different. Oh, and Kirk Hammett used his Stratocaster live in the early/mid 80s. Not sure about studio.

What kind of music do you play?

But it might be that you need to turn the treble up when you play with your humbucker guitars. With the same settings you can hear lots of differences between different guitars. And different types of pickups sound pretty different.

So tweak your settings. Settings that work for one guitar may not work for some other guitar. That's what EQ knobs are for. If every guitar sounded the same, EQ knobs wouldn't be needed.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 13, 2013,
all my guitars sound pretty good with my laney. it's pretty forgiving, if you ask me.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?