Poll: Would you or would you not?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you or would you not?
Yes
50 66%
No
26 34%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 3
Inspired by this recent Vsauce video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCBlAAtJA54

Skip to 7:00

If aliens have the ability to communicate to us, should we try to communicate to them?

What if they want to invade us and by communicating to them, they would find us and destroy us?

Or what if they have no ill intent? And by communicating back to them, they respond peacefully, and humanity possibly forms an alliance with the aliens?

Would you risk the planet being glassed, for the sake of knowledge and discovery? Would you risk a rectal probe up the bumhole for scientific endeavour?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Honestly, if there are aliens I would expect people to act like they do on all the movies. Everyone would be scared of them and demand them to turn themselves in, where the government would do numerous tests on them and try to control them.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
They would already know where we were

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Assuming aliens exist, there's no way of knowing. We can't possibly know if the aliens are hostile or friendly. Whenever humans found a new land, settle only by natives, we killed the shit out of them, raped their women, infected the survivors with new diseases, and took their resources. We can't know if aliens have a much different psychology than we do. So if they're sending out a signal, it would be most unwise to respond until we had more information.
Quote by progdude93
Assuming aliens exist, there's no way of knowing. We can't possibly know if the aliens are hostile or friendly. Whenever humans found a new land, settle only by natives, we killed the shit out of them, raped their women, infected the survivors with new diseases, and took their resources. We can't know if aliens have a much different psychology than we do. So if they're sending out a signal, it would be most unwise to respond until we had more information.

I think the main problem is the fact that humanity is so divided amongst itself. Adding aliens to the mix would make shit even thicker in that regard.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 13, 2013,
I would guess that if we're receiving signals from them, they would have already known where we are. It's not how the aliens would react that I'm worried about, but us. There's a lot of different people on earth with different beliefs, and I'm quite sure there would be a group of religious people that would say the aliens are Satan in disguise and shit, and then of course even atheists would be scared shitless, and I'm worried that our governments would simply overreact, and somehow provoke the aliens to fry the shit out of us.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Aliens would probably have no interest in humanity, the tiresome, stupid, greedy and aggressive things that we are. Besides, they wouldn't need to initiate any sort of action against us, we're going to wipe ourselves out at some point or another.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I think the main problem is the fact that humanity is so divided amongst itself. Adding aliens to the mix would make shit even thicker in that regard.

Or the opposite, no?
Quote by Jostry
I would guess that if we're receiving signals from them, they would have already known where we are.

Not necessarily. A person who talks down a phone doesn't know if anyone is there until the other side says 'hello'. It could just be a radio signal they're sending at a vague direction in space in the hope that they hit the jackpot.
Quote by flexiblemile
Or the opposite, no?

Think for instance of the shitstorm that would ensue when religious people realize that their god isn't real because they're not the only other life out there?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jul 13, 2013,
Also, another interesting thing to think about, they said on ancient aliens that we are extremely young in terms of the universe, and it's possible for there to be aliens that have been around for millions of years, and that they would be millions of years more advanced than us. We are to them, what ants are to us. We don't go around trying to contact ants or offer them our technology and shit. So aliens could have known of our existence long ago, but they literally didn't want to bother because we are as advanced as ants compared to them.

So maybe we are just too stupid and not worth their time.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by Jostry
Also, another interesting thing to think about, they said on ancient aliens that we are extremely young in terms of the universe, and it's possible for there to be aliens that have been around for millions of years, and that they would be millions of years more advanced than us. We are to them, what ants are to us. We don't go around trying to contact ants or offer them our technology and shit. So aliens could have known of our existence long ago, but they literally didn't want to bother because we are as advanced as ants compared to them.

I think if the aliens are smart, they would've exploited us as sex slaves by now.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I think that for any civilization, to advance enough to be able to travel to another star, it must become a peaceful civilization. I would be willing to stake the earth on that.

Also, what purpose would invading the earth serve? Resources? There are plenty of planets out there that are uninhabited that contain the same resources. I think that they would be more curious about us.

But what do I know
A civilisation capable of travelling to us from outside our solar system would be so incredibly advanced that we would be like insects to them.

Neil Degrasse Tyson said that we can't even hold a conversation with creatures that share a large percentage of our DNA, so the idea that we'd be able to communicate easily with aliens is ridiculous.
**** your poll op
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I think that for any civilization, to advance enough to be able to travel to another star, it must become a peaceful civilization. I would be willing to stake the earth on that.

Also, what purpose would invading the earth serve? Resources? There are plenty of planets out there that are uninhabited that contain the same resources. I think that they would be more curious about us.

But what do I know

No, if you look at terrestrial animals intelligence seems to go up with aggression (wolves are smarter than cows), likely selected for because a species that must consume others likewise has to figure a way to attack animals and not get injured or have the prey run away, any species intelligent enough to travel between solar systems is likely to be another apex predator (like us) and thereby only peaceful until they need something we have and while uninhabited planets have raw resources they do not have more complex substances of organic origin, oil, coal, etc...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Agreed. Every country would have a different opinion, we would eventually go to war with each other, all humans die, aliens would be happy: "yea free stuff bro, we came in peace(not really) but they're all dead so **** it. I'm taking the silverware"

To the original question about contact: No
but aliens would probably detect us first so any response would be irrelevant.
Quote by Bad Kharmel
No, if you look at terrestrial animals intelligence seems to go up with aggression (wolves are smarter than cows), likely selected for because a species that must consume others likewise has to figure a way to attack animals and not get injured or have the prey run away, any species intelligent enough to travel between solar systems is likely to be another apex predator (like us) and thereby only peaceful until they need something we have and while uninhabited planets have raw resources they do not have more complex substances of organic origin, oil, coal, etc...

Periods, brah.

The trend of aggression being directly proportional to intelligence only holds at low intelligence levels. While it's true that the top lifeform on the planet was likely an apex predator like us, it would have had to tone down the aggression or else the civilization would likely destroy itself. It appears to me that people are currently toning done the aggression because we are starting to realize that it will lead to our destruction.

Organic materials and other materials can be synthesized, all you need is energy. In order to travel to another star, you're going to need a lot of energy. So it seems that if the civilization were able to travel to another star then they would have means of collecting great amounts of energy, so why bother to steal our small amounts of energy?

Of course this is all assuming that the aliens have a similar psychology to ours. Which I find is a necessary assumption to answer this question.
I think if we made contact with extraterrestrial life, it would be similar to the early Klingon/Human conflict. One or both sides would be desiring power. And considering the likelihood that any extraterrestrial life is living on a planet similar to earth, I'd say its pretty likely that one side would dominate the other. And even if both sides made immediate peace, both sides would quickly want to dominate the other, and it'd result in some kind of conflict. But of course this is all assuming that it'll ever be possible to achieve lightspeed, or survive passage through a wormhole.
this house is bitchin
Off topic, but your post reminded me that someone needs to make a cgi/3d/video/whatever depiction of glass/objects/people slowly dissolving into their constituent atoms/particles because holy sauce. If anyone knows of or finds such a thing post it or else.
I've seen enough aliens travelling in my TARDIS to know that you could get any reaction. Some aim to invade Earth but some are peaceful races.

Just make sure you don't send them a bad image of the planet. AND NO GUNS.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
If they were really that much more advanced than us, there would be no reason to enslave us or anything. We don't have resources that they can't get elsewhere, and they would have machines that work better than us anyway.
They would either kill us cause they like killing, or they might kill us so we don't get advanced enough to fight them, or they'd be friends and help us, or (most likely IMO) they'd ignore us.
If they really have advanced enough technology to have traveled from beyond our solar system, and communicate with us, they're smart enough that if they want to attack/enslave us, they'd take us by surprise instead of sending us some sort of signal to warn us or something. If they're contacting us by signal and not by deadly death ray of death, odds are we're either already boned, or we're a phone call away from advancing 50,000 years.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
one thing to consider is if the aliens were to develop the technology to get to earth and then spend the space-money and time to actually show up they'd have to be damn sure itd be worth it, and peace doesn't really generate much revenue.

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Quote by necrosis1193
If they really have advanced enough technology to have traveled from beyond our solar system, and communicate with us, they're smart enough that if they want to attack/enslave us, they'd take us by surprise instead of sending us some sort of signal to warn us or something. If they're contacting us by signal and not by deadly death ray of death, odds are we're either already boned, or we're a phone call away from advancing 50,000 years.

If they really have advanced enough technology to have traveled from beyond our solar system, and communicate with us, they're smart enough that if they want to attack/enslave us, they would know that they wouldn't have to worry about the element of surprise. They could contact us, see if we'd be okay with being subjugated, and then attack.

It wouldn't be like the Avengers, where they were able to close a portal and send a nuke at their spaceship. It wouldn't be like Independence Day, where we're able to send out a scrappy duo of Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum to save the day. We would be well and truly ****ed.

Now, I'm not saying if aliens exist, they're hostile. But it's at least as likely a possibility as they're being friendly.
Even if they were crazy human-eating bad guys, it'd be worth it.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by progdude93
If they really have advanced enough technology to have traveled from beyond our solar system, and communicate with us, they're smart enough that if they want to attack/enslave us, they would know that they wouldn't have to worry about the element of surprise. They could contact us, see if we'd be okay with being subjugated, and then attack.

It wouldn't be like the Avengers, where they were able to close a portal and send a nuke at their spaceship. It wouldn't be like Independence Day, where we're able to send out a scrappy duo of Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum to save the day. We would be well and truly ****ed.

Now, I'm not saying if aliens exist, they're hostile. But it's at least as likely a possibility as they're being friendly.

I never saw The Avengers so I have no idea what that first example is about. Did see Independence Day though, and I think you underestimate the power of Will Smith.

If we're fucked either way if they're hostile, then does it really hurt to respond to their call? If nothing else, it gives us a slightly better idea of what we're going to hopelessly fight against.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Consider the following. In each instance of human history, whenever an advance civilization would encounter a native population, the native population was exterminated and the resources were utilized by the more advanced civilization.

What make your think that any other civilization in space is any different. Unless they just happen to be a super peaceful race of interstellar life savers, I don't think communicating with any ET would be a good idea.

I just happen to share the same ideas, with regards to this topic, as Stephen Hawking.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by necrosis1193
I never saw The Avengers so I have no idea what that first example is about. Did see Independence Day though, and I think you underestimate the power of Will Smith.

If we're fucked either way if they're hostile, then does it really hurt to respond to their call? If nothing else, it gives us a slightly better idea of what we're going to hopelessly fight against.

It's possible to send one-way radio waves (and I think I was even reading about microwave rays ffs) through space. Due to the nature of space (I forget if it was radiation or gravity or what), it will be well transmitted through space and go quite far, but you won't necessarily know where it's going, and you wouldn't be able to tell when it was discovered. Unless they responded.
If intelligent life exists how do we know they even exist in a state to communicate or interact with us? What if they live on a different time-scale to us- their lives spanning millennia? We always assume intelligent extraterrestrial life to be humanoid, but what basis is there for that? They could be giant fricking worms, thousands of miles long, which take a decade to even blink. What kind of worthy conversation could we have with them?
Quote by entity0009
If intelligent life exists how do we know they even exist in a state to communicate or interact with us? What if they live on a different time-scale to us- their lives spanning millennia? We always assume intelligent extraterrestrial life to be humanoid, but what basis is there for that? They could be giant fricking worms, thousands of miles long, which take a decade to even blink. What kind of worthy conversation could we have with them?

I don't think they'd really qualify as intelligent life. Intelligent life would be life we could communicate with, as that would allow us to establish (to some degree) the extent of their intelligence.
Quote by progdude93
It's possible to send one-way radio waves (and I think I was even reading about microwave rays ffs) through space. Due to the nature of space (I forget if it was radiation or gravity or what), it will be well transmitted through space and go quite far, but you won't necessarily know where it's going, and you wouldn't be able to tell when it was discovered. Unless they responded.

Yeah.... not quite. The signal might be detected but you have to look at the Inverse-Square Law and what will actually be detected once the signal is received. To be honest, any radio wave from earth that gets detected past a few light years would be nothing more than static. Well that is unless you have an EXTREMELY powerful radio transmitter.

Anyway, you can send a signal as far as you want to. Whether or not it is going to be recognized as a signal or not is a totally different story. Long story short, anything we send to space is one way.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Quote by progdude93
I don't think they'd really qualify as intelligent life. Intelligent life would be life we could communicate with, as that would allow us to establish (to some degree) the extent of their intelligence.

So they could hypothetically possess knowledge of the origins of the universe but wouldn't be considered intelligent if we can't draw circles in the sand for them?
Intelligent's a term we invented to describe what we think it should be

Trees could possess a magical knowledge of the universe, but since they have no way of communicating it to us or demonstrating it to us, we don't consider them intelligent.
Quote by progdude93
Intelligent's a term we invented to describe what we think it should be

Trees could possess a magical knowledge of the universe, but since they have no way of communicating it to us or demonstrating it to us, we don't consider them intelligent.

Trees don't have central nervous systems. I seriously doubt there is any intelligence there at all. I doubt anything that lacks a central nervous system could even be remotely classified as intelligent. I get what you are saying, but your example lacks so much logical thought it is silly. And kinda ridiculous.

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

Page 1 of 3