So i've gotten to the point in my playing where i feel a compressor pedal is the one missing item in my rig, tone, and playing. I've been leaning towards a Wampler Ego Compressor, but does anyone have any other recommendations that do as much, or 7/10ths, as the Wampler for less?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
What do you want your compressor to do for you?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Boost frequencies that arent loud enough, bring down the ones that are too prominent, increase sustain, etc. basically what most stage guys use it for
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

It's not really going to do all that. What it does is squish down or expand the amplitude of the signal regardless of frequency. If you want to modify your tone frequency-wise what you need is a nice EQ pedal. Sustain it will help. Or you can do what I do - turn your amp way up loud and let the air pressure from the speakers vibrate the strings.

As far as compressors go - Ross. I think the Joyo compressor is a Ross clone.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Acϵ♠
Boost frequencies that arent loud enough, bring down the ones that are too prominent, increase sustain, etc. basically what most stage guys use it for

Look at the Boss CS-3 and the Wampler Ego Compressor.

A lot of people don't like the CS-3, and I think the reason for that is because it really squashes your tone. Most high end compressors tend to really go for transparency, which to me just makes no sense. They try to be more like transparent sustainers than actual compressors.

I chose the CS-3 for the price, and also because I was looking for that blatant compression. The Wampler is much higher quality I think, but like the others it tries to be transparent to a certain extent. I mentioned it because I don't think it's as transparent as your typical Diamond or Empress etc..

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you have the budget for the Wampler, go for it. It does everything that any other compressor pedal does IMO.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Offworld92
Look at the Boss CS-3 and the Wampler Ego Compressor.

A lot of people don't like the CS-3, and I think the reason for that is because it really squashes your tone. Most high end compressors tend to really go for transparency, which to me just makes no sense. They try to be more like transparent sustainers than actual compressors.

I chose the CS-3 for the price, and also because I was looking for that blatant compression. The Wampler is much higher quality I think, but like the others it tries to be transparent to a certain extent. I mentioned it because I don't think it's as transparent as your typical Diamond or Empress etc..

You don't find it noisy?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It's not really going to do all that. What it does is squish down or expand the amplitude of the signal regardless of frequency. If you want to modify your tone frequency-wise what you need is a nice EQ pedal.

+1. I think I may have even made the same sorta thread a year or two ago. Shoulda listened to Cathbard. Just a useless, noisy pedal unless you're trying to get that compressed sound IMO.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't find it noisy?

Compressors in general tend to be a bit noisy, I dont find the CS-3 to be that noisy at all. There might be some hiss if Im using a high gain distortion along with it but you only hear it if you are not playing.

If you are getting noise then look at the power supply. Get a Voodoo lab PP2+, decent quality patch cables and noise wont be an issue.
I much prefer the dynacomp to the CS3. For cheaper, the Joyo is quite good.

If you can afford the wampler, look at Empress and Diamond as well.
RIP Gooze

cats
Quote by tappooh
Compressors in general tend to be a bit noisy, I dont find the CS-3 to be that noisy at all. There might be some hiss if Im using a high gain distortion along with it but you only hear it if you are not playing.

If you are getting noise then look at the power supply. Get a Voodoo lab PP2+, decent quality patch cables and noise wont be an issue.

I've just always found the Boss compressors to be comparatively noisy.

I make my own cables and power supplies. My power supplies are filtered and regulated better than 90% of what you can buy in shops. I've always just found the Boss compressors to be one of the noisier compressors. I suspect, like a lot of Boss pedals, the noise can be tamed with a few component swaps though. I've never tried it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Suhr's new Koji Comp ships this month and I'm getting one of those.

Unless you're playing country, I wouldn't get the Ego. It's fantastic, but for me I like to play more solo and lead stuff so the compressor helps with sustain and I don't like it to sound too squished in the process.

Carl Martin makes a good one that people like Petrucci, Andy Timmons, and Eric Johnson use.
The CS-2 is highly regarded as well by people like John Mayer, Keith Urban and many other more mainstream artists who are quite good at guitar. Keeley comp is pretty good, but I never felt that it was dynamic enough. Diamond is quite good.
The MXR custom comp is a great compressor. It's got internal trim pots for attack and high end roll off. It really helps make it transparent if you aren't going for that clicky compressor sound. They're about $130 brand spankin new, and you can find one used for about $80-$100, depending on the condition.

The jacques fat burner compressor is another cool one. It can double as a portable headphone amp, but you can also use the output to crush the front end of your amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't find it noisy?

Surprisingly, no. The very first compressor I had was a Rocktron Reaction Compressor, and it was typically noisy. I've always read that compressors were noisy, but when I was breaking my chain and trying each thing by itself at a time, my CS-3 was actually not noisy at all. That was back when I was looking for another OD - my SD-1 was generating a ****ton of noise, basically pulling it's own weight for all the pedals in my chain by itself.

My CS-3 is MIJ though, so that might make a difference. My MIJ GE-7 was quieter than my MIT GE-7 as well.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I used to use a MIJ one many years ago and I thought it was pretty noisy. You musta got lucky, it happens. The one in my GP-8 is a lot quieter too; although, not perfect. It's the same circuit, just included on one big board with all the other effects. You'd expect it to be better though, it was their flagship unit at the time of release. Back then the use of the name Roland instead of Boss indicated higher quality usually.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 14, 2013,
Well i used to play a lot of lead and soloing and stuff where i didn't need it, but now that my playing i guess is "maturing" id need it for clean stuff, especially with the single coil guitars i own.

The Boss CS3 sucks ass. I tried it at a shop and hated it. I'll check out the Empress, i've only read good things about them.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

I've gone through 3 different pedals trying to find the tone that worked for me... I was after something that compressed the signal but didn't kill the tone... the Boss CS-3 and I never got along... I didn't ever find settings I liked with the TC Corona even after downloading a few - for some reason couldn't keep the top end no matter what the dials were at.

I've settled on the Visual Sound Comp 66 which is pretty simple in terms of design and controls, but it's got much better tone to it for my tastes than the other 2. Might be worth checking one out, but I HIGHLY recommend playing a few in the store with the amp set fairly neutral and pick the one that hits you the right way.