I ordered a set of seymour duncan Nazgul/Sentient pups for my seven string.

There was a mix up and I was sent an 8 string sentient by mistake. I went ahead and installed the bridge and it sounds great.

The neck arrived today and I installed it, but there is problem. I get sound, but it is nowhere near as loud as the bridge.

I can put it on the neck pup and its not as loud and the gain is like less than half of what it should be. Switching to the bridge pup is like stomping a distortion pedal with the level and gain cranked.

What could possibly be causing this to happen?

This is the first pup install I've done myself, but all I had to do is connect the black to pup switch, tape off the red and white and solder the green and bare to the top of the volume pot.

Any help is much appreciated.
Could be making a poor connection. Try resoldering it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's very strange. The amp is on the gain channel, but the neck sounds like its in the clean channel. The middle position is just as loud as the bridge alone.

I guess I'll pull it apart and resolder for the second time.

I'm not really sure what to do if this doesn't work.
Sorry to double post, but yeah, I have no freaking clue what is going on here.

I thought it might be the switch, so I went and got a new switch and re-soldered, same problem. Bridge and middle position loud and aggressive like they should be, neck is completely pathetic and lacks volume and basically zero gain.

I don't understand how the bridge can rip your face off and the neck is so weak.
Quote by Grawgos
Sorry to double post, but yeah, I have no freaking clue what is going on here.

I thought it might be the switch, so I went and got a new switch and re-soldered, same problem. Bridge and middle position loud and aggressive like they should be, neck is completely pathetic and lacks volume and basically zero gain.

I don't understand how the bridge can rip your face off and the neck is so weak.

Is this a 4 wire pup? Can you take picture of it? Make sure to get a good shot of all 4 wires so we can see where you have things hooked up.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
That's really weird.

I guess there's a slight chance that he wiring has been damaged. Have you emailed SD?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It's a four wire pup, but the white and red are taped together, just like the bridge. The black is going to the switch and the green and bare are grounded to the top of the volume pot, just like the bridge pup.

The bridge pup works fine and has been working fine for a few days.

Since the bridge works fine, I don't think it is a grounding or input jack issue.

I just can't figure it out. It makes no sense.

I'll email seymour now, I was just hoping to figure it out before having to do that.

I thought maybe someone on here had run into a similar situation and could guide me through it.

I do appreciate your responses.
You could try wiring it directly to the output, just to see.

Did the red and white come taped together? Maybe try soldering them together if they're not.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would verify the two that came taped together are actually connected properly.

You could just have a bad pickup.
Quote by Offworld92
You could try wiring it directly to the output, just to see.

Did the red and white come taped together? Maybe try soldering them together if they're not.

You my friend are now my favorite UG person. I stripped a little more casing off the red and white wires, gave them a twist and solder and it works.

I would have never figured out that was my problem.

Thank you all for your help, that's exactly why I love this site and the people who dwell here.
Quote by Grawgos
You my friend are now my favorite UG person. I stripped a little more casing off the red and white wires, gave them a twist and solder and it works.

I would have never figured out that was my problem.

Thank you all for your help, that's exactly why I love this site and the people who dwell here.

My last SD I put in his weekend needed the insulation pulled back, it did not come connected. I had to solder them.

That's exactly why I asked if it was a 4 wire pup.

Glad you got it. You owe Offworld a beer new.

Now let us know how those pups are? I haven't heard a review of them yet.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Yeah, I owe Offworld a six pack.

Give me a few days and I'll do a new pup thread in them. I really dig the Nazgul, handles the 7th string so much better than the 707. It's more articulate and easy to mute. The EMG just seemed to keep letting the 7th string ring and kinda drowned out other notes. The EMG's also just had that artificial sound. I didn't mind them at first, but the more I played them, the less I liked them.

The nazguls just sound great, not overly bassy, articulate, but the treble is pretty strong on the high strings. Not ice picky, but prominent.

I'm really digging them so far and will hopefully have more to say in my NPUPD thread.