Hello UG, hopefully this is in the right section. I have a bit of spending money so I was looking to upgrade my guitars and saw a brass block on ebay for 20-30 USD. The thing is that I read somewhere to only buy the blocks from the Floyd Upgrades website. (Floyd upgrades have them for 40$) Since they apparently sound better and have more sustain. Now I'm calling Bull on it, but I don't wanna waste my money on something that is of lesser quality. Should I snag the cheaper brass blocks, or go with the Floyd Upgrades more expensive versions? Thank you peoples.
The larger brass sustain blocks do sound different (whether you think it's "better" or not is personal) and compared to the zinc/zamax/zeewhatever blocks that come on some cheap Floyds, they will probably give you longer sustain. They were recommended to me by Gary Brawer (tech in San Francisco), and I've begun putting them on all of my Floyds because I like 'em. Let us know what you think.

I've been using the Floyd Upgrades blocks, more because I know that they fit correctly (on the trem itself) than because of any other difference that I can see from the eBay pictures. Be aware that you may have to perform some minor surgery on the spring cavity; some guitars need a bit of extra room to accommodate them. I've been lucky and haven't had to deal with that. Yet.

Another thing that may or may not help YOUR guitars with both tone and sustain: superglue your frets. IF they weren't glued at the factory, that is (Gibson doesn't glue its frets any more, but some builders titebond their fret slots before the frets go in). Here's the Why and the How, though I'm suggesting that you have a Good Tech do it.

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0043.html

At the very least, you'll reduce the chances of having a flyer fret when the weather changes. The cork-sniffy result: you'll actually have a change in the tone of the guitar and lose any of those pesky "dead" sounding fret positions. Again, this is personal, but I'm doing two things with any guitar that's new to me: supergluing the frets and running it through a PLEK (including new Gibsons, BTW) with a Good Tech at the helm. Doesn't matter if it's a $4K guitar or a $200 B-stock cheapo; for me it's a big difference in sound and definitely in playability.
Last edited by dspellman at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by dspellman
The larger brass sustain blocks do sound different (whether you think it's "better" or not is personal) and compared to the zinc/zamax/zeewhatever blocks that come on some cheap Floyds, they will probably give you longer sustain. They were recommended to me by Gary Brawer (tech in San Francisco), and I've begun putting them on all of my Floyds because I like 'em. Let us know what you think.

I've been using the Floyd Upgrades blocks, more because I know that they fit correctly (on the trem itself) than because of any other difference that I can see from the eBay pictures. Be aware that you may have to perform some minor surgery on the spring cavity; some guitars need a bit of extra room to accommodate them. I've been lucky and haven't had to deal with that. Yet.

Another thing that may or may not help YOUR guitars with both tone and sustain: superglue your frets. IF they weren't glued at the factory, that is (Gibson doesn't glue its frets any more, but some builders titebond their fret slots before the frets go in). Here's the Why and the How, though I'm suggesting that you have a Good Tech do it.
o
http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0043.html

At the very least, you'll reduce the chances of having a flyer fret when the weather changes. The cork-sniffy result: you'll actually have a change in the tone of the guitar and lose any of those pesky "dead" sounding fret positions. Again, this is personal, but I'm doing two things with any guitar that's new to me: supergluing the frets and running it through a PLEK (including new Gibsons, BTW) with a Good Tech at the helm. Doesn't matter if it's a $4K guitar or a $200 B-stock cheapo; for me it's a big difference in sound and definitely in playability.

Well all 3 of my electrics are Schecters. I don't know if Schecter glues their frets, but I'll be sure to look into that.

Also, My guitars all have a Floyd Rose system on them. One of them has a crappy Licensed Trem and the other 2 are OFRs. I plan on buying two blocks to put on my Licensed equiped guitar and my OFR guitar since I'm selling my other OFR equiped guitar for another one. I only have around 60-70 bucks to spend. I can get 2 blocks on eBay for that price. And if the size is too big, I know a guy that does a bit of brass work. He told me could cut off the excess for me. Would the blocks on eBay still be of the same quality as the $45 one from Floyd Upgrades?
No, you don't want to cut off excess brass -- just trim the wood inside the rout itself.

I honestly don't know about the quality of the non-FU blocks.