Hey guys!

so im going to buy an 8 string next month when i get my salary, so i got my eyes on either

im going to tune them to ebeadgbe

http://www.thomann.de/nl/ibanez_rg8_wh.htm (27")
or
http://www.thomann.de/nl/jackson_js32_8q_dinky_tr.htm (26.5)
or if i wait another month
http://www.thomann.de/nl/schecter_omen_8_walnut.htm (26.5")

so i got 2 questions,

1. Is it smarter to get the 27" scale? if im going to downtune

2. Wich strings should i get? (7 string set + a single string or 8 string set) becouse i've read on the internet the 8 string sets are unbalanced

M-Audio Fastrack + Pod Farm

Korg Pitchblack
Boss ME25
Maxon OD808
Fame T120H
Framus 1x12 G12t100 Cab
It is very smart to get 27" scale if you're buying an 8 string, especially if you're downtuning. I can't tell you what strings to get. That's kind of a personal thing. I'd try to do both and see what you like the best.
As for question 1, for downtuning, bigger is generally better. 27" scale is pretty standard for 8 strings. 26.5" is a tad short, but for that tuning I don't think it would be the end of the world.

Can't help you with #2.
That little bit of extra length does help. I also find the Ibanez 8-string necks are quite comfortable. I'd say go for the extra length, unless you don't like Ibanez necks.

For strings, I recommend Circle K strings. They build balanced sets, or you can build your own set. I love 'em.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
The .5" isn't really a big deal, however the neck heel is. The Jackson and Schecter both have massive bulky block heels that will limit your upper fret access to a certain extent, whereas the Ibanez has the smooth AANJ which will not. I think that feature is really the most important thing in this price range.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Schecter 8 string, and it feels like the neck heel is a brick when playing up high (I can't reach the 24 fret of it)

Never played an 8 string Ibby, but I'm biased to them because of the 6 and 7 strings I've played so I'm gonna say go for the Ibanez (also because you want to drop tune it and that extra half inch should help).
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
I would actually recommend the ESP H-208. It is a 25.5" scale length, but this fells more normal after playing a Les Paul (for me). It plays fantastically for the price ($400).
Firstly: If you're even considering drop E tuning- 27" Scale Neck is the *minimum* length you should be looking into. I prefer F / Half-Step Down Standard, myself.

Secondly: Do ME the favour of *never* buying a Schecter guitar, especially their 8 strings. (other than maybe one of their $250-$300 models working your way up to an 8 String)

Thirdly: for similar reasons, such as Jacksons and Schecters throwing together really cheap hardware on nice looking guitar bodies- you will eventually but inevitably be very dissatisfied with: the frets, the fret-boards, particularly their piece-of-shite bridges, and then likely the garbage pickups thrown in the mix.
(*Seymour Duncan Blackouts you've probably heard a little about are supposed to be fantastic, look for those; active EMP's should serve you well also)

***And Last but Not Least: HALO // AGILE GUITARS***

I hope for this to be of service to you, STUDY WELL before making such an investment.

http://www.haloguitars.com/store/8-String-Guitar/

&

Google: "Agile (8 String) Guitars" the first or second link should direct you properly.

-JD-
Quote by Skylord27
I would actually recommend the ESP H-208. It is a 25.5"

That is impossibly short. Either ESP are retards or you messed up that number.

Also, ESP and Schecter are owned by the same company.
1. Yes, you'll get better tension/note definition at lower tunings.

2. Get whatever gauges are comfortable for you.

Quote by freebeer1976
Maybe just learn how to play a 6 string well.

**** off.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by JoeySteel
Secondly: Do ME the favour of *never* buying a Schecter guitar, especially their 8 strings. (other than maybe one of their $250-$300 models working your way up to an 8 String)

***And Last but Not Least: HALO // AGILE GUITARS***

I hope for this to be of service to you, STUDY WELL before making such an investment.

http://www.haloguitars.com/store/8-String-Guitar/

-JD-

You're seriously dissing Schecter & Jackson, and then recommending Halo? That's pretty ridiculous. Halo has a horrible reputation in terms of their quality and customer service. Just search them around the sevenstring.org forums a little bit and you'll see.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 14, 2013,
Well, i would love to get an Agile, but im from the netherlands, so if they send me one and it get's damaged they wont take it back, so i rather get the RG8 than just to be safe, so i wont be stuck with a f*cked up guitar xD,

Wel i already have a Jackson Kelly ke3 and i love how she plays, same as the Schecter hellraiser c1fr i loved how it played so that's why i looked those up, i never had a Ibanez before but lots of my friends have Ibanez guitars and they play well

btw im going to upgrade the pups, tuners and pots later on!

Korg Pitchblack
Boss ME25
Maxon OD808
Fame T120H
Framus 1x12 G12t100 Cab
Last edited by AlienProbe at Jul 14, 2013,
Quote by AlienProbe

1. Is it smarter to get the 27" scale? if im going to downtune

2. Wich strings should i get? (7 string set + a single string or 8 string set) becouse i've read on the internet the 8 string sets are unbalanced

And I forgot to answer the original questions.

Yes. The 27" scale is smarter for what you're doing.
Strings are personal, but you should pull up one of the sites that will give you the anticipated tensions for a specific string gauge at a specific tuning and a specific scale length. Commercial 8-string sets have no idea what you're going to do with them. There are sites where you can order individual strings.

As an aside...

I've been playing with a borrowed Variax JTV 89. Six strings, modeled guitars (including a new hi-gain series) and alternative tunings using pitch replacement. In reference to the latter, you can actually downtune a single string an octave and uptune at least half a dozen half-steps. There are no issues with muddiness on the bottom strings; an octave down on a low E sounds like the low E on a bass, just as it should. You can do all of this without changing string gauge or tensions at all. It occurred to me that you don't *have* to play guitar with fourths separating the strings; if you stretch those intervals, you can actually cover the same bottom to top ground as an 8-string tuned in fourths with that silly six-string. With a single rotation of the alternate tunings dial. Large hands/long fingers helps a bit, and I'm not ready to show it off just yet, but it's dropped a few jaws already.
With the tension I prefer for lickity quick chugs on a 27" i still need pretty big strings. I should have gone longer.

I was interested in those Jacksons when they were coming out as well, and from what i've heard that half an inch does actually make a few string sizes of difference, and those sizes of difference make even a bigger difference in your tone.

I keep my 2228 in F standard, but if you're going lower than that I'd say you basically NEED 27" or longer. I've heard that the schecter slimline series has a pretty good 28" if you like hideous ******ed inlays

also if no one told you, Ibanez is going to release an M80M soon, which is a budget version of the Meshuggah sig. might end up being a similar price if bought used?
Listen. I'm sorry.
wel i just searched online for the Ibanez m80m and seeing it is going to cost about 2000 dollar's it is like 4 times my budget so thats way out of my league :/ it looks awesome tho but yeah i think im going for the Ibanez RG8, i also saw that it is already downtuned with a set of 9's on it (1D#, 2A#, 3F#, 4C#, 5G#, 6D#, 7A#, 8F) is it possible to go to (1E, 2B, 3G, 4D, 5A, 6E, 7B, 8E) with the 9's on it or do i need a set 10's for that

Korg Pitchblack
Boss ME25
Maxon OD808
Fame T120H
Framus 1x12 G12t100 Cab
Last edited by AlienProbe at Jul 16, 2013,
You have that backwards - lighter strings allow you to tune higher, heavier strings let you tune lower. 9s won't give you any problems whatsoever going back up to standard, though just keep in mind that it will be notably tighter than you're used to given the extended scale.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I actually did some research and calculations on the tension of the 8th string at different gauges and scale length. I'll just leave this here since it may be useful. Figures are in pounds.

Edit: Oh God that red underline

What does everybody think of the Ibanez in the OP? I was so set on getting a Schecter Omen-8, but it was out of stock so I didn't, so I thought I'd just get it a few months later. But if the Ibanez is a better choice then it looks like I've got some researching to do. Shame though, because I don't think that particular Ibanez model is sold where I live.

Also, how on earth is it cheaper than the Schecter? I always thought the RG8 was a very expensive model. Or was that the R2228?
Last edited by triface at Jul 16, 2013,
^ Cool, but that doesn't really mean anything without any relation to other strings. I seriously doubt people just know offhand how many pounds of tension are on their strings.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ Cool, but that doesn't really mean anything without any relation to other strings. I seriously doubt people just know offhand how many pounds of tension are on their strings.

That's true. 14lbs is apparently an okay number to strive for, and you'll want to go higher or lower depending on your tastes. I personally had my E string at sub-10lbs for the longest time and it felt okay.

For a more useful reference, I use this calculator: http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/. There's a whole bunch of them out there, but I only managed to learn how this works.