Hey all,

So, long story short, I'm gonna be moving into a studio apartment soon, and will be downsizing my belongings a bit - Part of that means finally ditching the desktop PC world for laptops (and the huge, cumbersome desk that I've been using too! ). That, and it's time for a new computer of some kind anyway.

I'm curious about how effective Firewire to USB adapter plugs work with recording equipment? I have a Presonus Inspire 1394 audio interface that uses FireWire 400. More than likely, I will be sticking w/a Windows PC, in the interest of being able to transfer all my old files/software over and still be able to use it all. The dillema, however, is that it seems next to impossible to find a windows laptop w/FireWire ports already installed on it. That, and the fact I can't just pop in a FireWire card so easily like you can with a desktop.

Will a FireWire to USB plug have any issues with recording stuff if I have USB 3.0? Keep in mind, I only do simple DI recording to get ideas down - I'm no audio engineerer, and I'll leave any serious recording to someone who knows what they're doing (Not to mention, the neighbors will hate me if I start cranking an ENGL and inviting drummers over )

Any help appreciated!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
They don't work. Just sell your interface and buy a USB one
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by llanafreak44
Buy a laptop with an express card slot, and buy a firewire card with TI chips.

Good luck finding a newer laptop with an express card slot. Unless there is some business model laptop somewhere that still has them, none of the off the shelf consumer laptops have a express card slot. Even then, if it is a business class laptop, you're going to pay out the ass for it.

Honestly, hes better off buying a new interface all together. The Presonus Inspire has been discontinued for years and there are amazing options in the $200 or less range to replace it with.
Buy a laptop with Thunderbolt and use a FW adapter, works great.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I was facing the same dilemma and got a HP ProBook 4530s with express slot. It was one of the few that have them. Usually higher end laptops here and there still end up with one of these options. Might be able to spec them from Lenovo as well.
To be honest with you I still do the majority of work on the desktop and the laptop ended up just being for location recording or to mess with ideas and for online collabs. The increased amount fo spin on the harddrive already let me to 1 replacement of the stock hard drive as it started failing.
Quote by lockwolf
Good luck finding a newer laptop with an express card slot. Unless there is some business model laptop somewhere that still has them, none of the off the shelf consumer laptops have a express card slot. Even then, if it is a business class laptop, you're going to pay out the ass for it.

Honestly, hes better off buying a new interface all together. The Presonus Inspire has been discontinued for years and there are amazing options in the $200 or less range to replace it with.

The business models are extremely powerful laptops, and great older (still atleast i3/i5) models can be had for 200-400$. I recently bought an i3 Lenovo thinkpad for 200$ on craigslist, and it's unbelievable how powerful it is.

I'm pretty anti-usb, due to latency with tracking live VSTi's being almost unusable. I would never recommend one to anybody. Pay a tiny bit more now, save later.
Quote by llanafreak44
The business models are extremely powerful laptops, and great older (still atleast i3/i5) models can be had for 200-400$. I recently bought an i3 Lenovo thinkpad for 200$ on craigslist, and it's unbelievable how powerful it is.

I'm pretty anti-usb, due to latency with tracking live VSTi's being almost unusable. I would never recommend one to anybody. Pay a tiny bit more now, save later.

Considering USB interfaces are a lot more refined than they were 5 years ago, latency issues over USB aren't as much of an issue anymore. Hell, even my Mbox 2 has about 7 milliseconds versus my Focusrite Pro 40 at 5. Nobody is going to notice 2/100ths of a second difference. Latency doesn't become noticeable until the 15+ms range. Anything under 10ms isn't noticeable and pretty much any off the shelf USB interface will do under 10ms.

If you're having problems tracking live with VSTi's, its most likely a performance issue on the system itself than an issue with latency.

I hate suggesting old used laptops because they're old. A 2 or 3 year old Core i3 is miles slower than a newer Core i3 and even then, an i3 is as low as you can go with a laptop which means you aren't going to be able to go as far as you could with an i5 or i7 (Which, as one with a brand new Core i7-4700MQ Laptop, they're seriously amazing). It sounds like OP wants to go new which means there isn't anything outside of MacBooks that have firewire or an expresscard slot.
You can't tell a 10ms latency? Really? I have an issue tracking when my interface is putting out more then 3m in/3m out, and the bands I record always say it "feels" off. Anyways, you're likely right about newer USB, as I haven't personally tried any of them yet. At the end of the day though, I'd like to have as little latency possible, and firewire is still the best external way to handle that.

As for the laptops argument, I recently mixed a bands 5 song EP in one session, with up to 12 different reverbs active at all times due to laziness, a bunch of unprinted samples, and around 5 unprinted VST amps, without a single issue in Reaper on my "new" circa 2009 i3 laptop. If you need a lot more than that, a processor upgrade would be hundreds cheaper than buying a brand new spec Windows/MBP. I'm a practical person though, so YMMV, just my 2 cents.