I have been developing my lead/solo style for years now,
and a looper is the entire focal point of my entire guitar practice.
Almost 90% of my playing at home is done with a loop device.
Playing melodies over various rhythm sections.

I use the Pandora PX-3 fed into my PC speakers. The PX-3 has digital effects (clean/chorus, distortion, metal, etc), a variable speed drum tempo, and loop.
So, it has it all. This is literally the only thing I use for 99% of my playing, besides my actual guitar.

Since this is single most important part of my entire rig (in fact, it's my ENTIRE rig),
I want to know what you guys use to do looping at home and while jamming with a band.

After 7 years of this setup, I want to move away from playing through my PC sound card,
and start using my effects pedals and amps again.

So, I need to replace my Pandora PX-3.
What are the top "loop stations" on the market today?
I did some searching and was shocked to see how little info I found,
considering this is the single most important device guitar players use.
Anyone who plays leads has to have a kick ass looping setup in place. Period.

I still have an old Boss RC-20 Loop Station. A complete piece of garbage from the late 1990s.
Playing a lead over the loop rhythm would always degrade the signal.
And it could not handle playing both signals equally. Result is a useless doorstop.
I assume the Boss loop station considered outdated junk by now.
After a quick search, I am actually shocked this product is still marketed, almost 15 years later.

I assume the market have taken quantum leaps forward since then, but I am not seeing the dozens of options I'd have expected for such a critical component.

What are the top "loop stations" on the market today?
1978 Les Paul Custom Sunburst
2001 USA Strat (Hot & Cool Rails)
Effects: Boss GT-6 with Tech-21 Power Amp
Last edited by MissingSomethin at Jul 13, 2013,
I think the Boomerang is pretty much regarded as the best looper, by a pretty big margin ... with one caveat that MIGHT be really important to you.

That caveat is that it doesn't have memory or the ability to interface with your computer to transfer loops. It's designed from the ground up for live performance. If you want to be able to store 30 loops to practice over, it's not the looper for you. Otherwise, I'd say check it out.
I still have an old Boss RC-20 Loop Station. A complete piece of garbage from the late 1990s.
Playing a lead over the loop rhythm would always degrade the signal.
And it could not handle playing both signals equally. Result is a useless doorstop.
I assume the Boss loop station considered outdated junk by now.
After a quick search, I am actually shocked this product is still marketed, almost 15 years later.

Do you have it in front of your amp? Do you use distortion?

To make it sound clearer, use clean channel (and if you want to use distortion, place your distortion pedal before the looper) or FX loop (which makes it sound even more clear).

Not saying that your looper couldn't be complete crap but first you need to make sure you are using it right.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
first of all, playing many guitar signals through the same amp is going to sound messy and not as great as your guitar into the amp. try maybe having two amps: on for the loop, one for you main guitar tone for playing over the loop. that way you can set the two to sound how you want and also have the option of having power amp distortion (if you use a tube amp) on the lead tone without also making the loop go into overdrive. you would have to have an A/B box and have the looper after one of the the A/B outputs to one of the amps. that way you can switch and play on the other amp over the loop without sending the signal to the looper as well. also, i disagree with your title, but i wont get too into that too much now. basically, it it depends on what you want to do. the most important piece of practice gear is a guitar. period.