Hello all.

I've just graduated high school (yay), and my parents were asking what I'd like as a gift, so naturally I said a guitar, as I really have no idea what else to ask for.

THey set a limit at $500 maximum, but I may be able to persuade them to go for $600 if I perhaps chip in a bit.

That being said I'll hit you with some information an possible candidates

Budget? - Anything between $250 and $500 CAD (Canadian dollars) But that could be stretched to maybe $550. But $500 is my ideal max.

Favorite Artists? - Steve Vai, Jim Root, Jerry Cantrell, Prince.

Preferences? - Body shape: I'm torn between Tele, LP, SG, and Strat/Superstrat. Also looking for a colour other than black.

Bridge: I'm looking for a double locking trem ideally, like a Floyd or Kahler, but if theres a TOM/hardtail/vintage trem guitar I fall in love with I'll take it. But, ideally something I can perform old school 80's trem wankery on.

Neck Profile: I really enjoy the Gibson 'D' profiles, I'm not big on super flat/thin shreddy necks. I can't play very long on them. But I feel if I enjoyed everything else I'd learn to deal.

Brands: Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson… Open to just about any brand really, just about every 'major' brand has at least one guitar that I like. So, suggest away.

Frets: 24 would be pretty nice, but I'm happy with 22.
What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?

Pickups? - I'm looking for something with at least one humbucker. I'm not too picky about active or passives, I'm a huge fan of EMGs, but I really like DiMarzios and Seymours as well. Configuration wise I was thinking either HSH or just HH. Not really a big single coil guy, one would be enough for me.

New or Used? - Preferably new, but if I can get a smokin' deal on a used guitar, I'll take it. But, it's a gift, so the selfish side of me wants new more than anything.

Location? - London, ON, Canada. Thats my closest city anyways, and if Long and McQuade stocks it, I can have it shipped to a London store. Also Stratford, ON, is fairly close too. I can list some other stores I have access to if need be.

Current Gear? - Peavey JSX Head, Randall 4x12, Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7, Fender MIM Tele. And some various pedals.

Current considerations: Fender Blacktop Strat w/ Floyd Rose $499
Ibanez RG2XXV-FYE (Apparently L&M can still get this) $499
Jackson Adrian Smith SDX (Maple board) $499

I should also mention it's $500 before tax, and ordering online is a no go.

If I've missed anything just say so.

But I'm open to damn near anything this time around.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
It's a hardtail, but the Godin Redline HB is a good guitar and ticks most of your boxes. Made in Canada, too! I typically see it for $499 USD.

http://godinguitars.com/godinredlinehbp.htm

FWIW, the Godin Velocity is a recently discontinued higher level model that shows up fairly often on the used market for $450-550. It's HSS, and has a trem. Also quite good.

If you can find one, here's a bit of info:
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinvelocityp.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 13, 2013,
Good call on that one, I don't see any of the Redline series on L&M's site (minus the 1k Nemesis). When I go in on Friday I'll ask about it and the pricing.

I also have to consider that online prices are every so slightly less than in store prices, and Long & McQuade refuses to price match with online retailers.

EDIT: Saw a used Velocity at a shop once and tried it out. Was not really my cup of tea, didn't quite feel right to me. No solid body Godin I've played has felt right to me, they've felt cheap. Except the hollow/semi hollow stuff. They felt top notch

I'll give the Redline a chance though.
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Last edited by Charvel1995 at Jul 13, 2013,
I'm going to be a boring person and recommend the same guitar I recommend to everyone who asks for a guitar like that; An Ibanez S. You might not like the neck profile, since it's that kind of really fast shred neck, but they have probably the best locking trems I've tried, and I think that both a HH and a HSH version fit your budget, depending on price differences between finland and canada. Well, they're almost the same country. They also come in red. To sum up, it's a superstrat with 24 frets, amazing double locking trem, humbuckers, comes in other colours than black, and as I own one and have tried another different one I can guarantee that it's top quality for the price.
Quote by guitar/bass95
I'm going to be a boring person and recommend the same guitar I recommend to everyone who asks for a guitar like that; An Ibanez S. You might not like the neck profile, since it's that kind of really fast shred neck, but they have probably the best locking trems I've tried, and I think that both a HH and a HSH version fit your budget, depending on price differences between finland and canada. Well, they're almost the same country. They also come in red. To sum up, it's a superstrat with 24 frets, amazing double locking trem, humbuckers, comes in other colours than black, and as I own one and have tried another different one I can guarantee that it's top quality for the price.

The S series are the ones with the really thin bodies right?

The s420 is slightly out of range (550), but do able I think. Although I'm not sure how I'd be with only have one inlay on the board itself. I've never had a guitar with only side markers, so it'd be a bit of a challenge to get used to perhaps, but I'll try one out next time I hit up L&M. Although the only one they list is a black one on the site, but I can always ask about colour optoins for it. I know for a fact the premium version is way out of my price range.

I'll check it out for sure though, any other recommendations?
Main Rig:

Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...