We're having a sudden period of hot weather here in the UK and now I can't bend my strings! The strings just seem to slip off my fingers.

Does anyone think this is due to horrible clammy hands, or could it be that the neck relief has changed due to the change in humidity?

Thanks.
Last edited by grantjames at Jul 14, 2013,
I doubt that it's the neck relief. It could be, but I doubt it.

Are your hands clammy? If yes, then it's probably the issue.

Do what Jeff Beck does and use some talcum powder, or cool the room you're in down with a fan to stop the clamminess.
Quote by grantjames
We're having a sudden period of hot weather here in the UK and now I can't bend my strings! The strings just seem to slip off my fingers.

Does anyone think this is due to horrible clammy hands, or could it be that the neck relief has changed due to the change in humidity?

Thanks.

Mate we have had about 4 days of hot weather i dont think that is it.
How old are your string cause it might just be that you are due to a change of strings.
You should try to change your strings every 6-8 months.

But dont go into any drastic thoughts just put some talk on your hands before you play
Quote by Nick.Trigg
Mate we have had about 2 or 3 weeks of hot weather i dont think that is it.
How old are your string cause it might just be that you are due to a change of strings.
You should try to change your strings every 1-2 months but really it all depends.

But dont go into any drastic thoughts just put some talk on your hands before you play

ftfy
Nick, where do you get your information from?

6-8 months? Yuk. They'd be rusty and shit. And yea, it's been hot for weeks now.
Quote by grantjames
could it be that the neck relief has changed due to the change in humidity?

has the humidity actually changed? the temperature has, but the humidity seems more or less the same as it ever was. At least here in northern ireland
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nick.Trigg
Mate we have had about 4 days of hot weather i dont think that is it.

If you wait that long to change strings
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
you should see how long i wait

to be fair with the humidity and heat in florida you probably have to change strings every 6-8 hours
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Nick.Trigg

6-8 MONTHS?

Lordy.
Quote by Dave_Mc
you should see how long i wait

to be fair with the humidity and heat in florida you probably have to change strings every 6-8 hours

no I can get away with 1-2 months when it is only band practice, but I do a fresh set before every show.
But I also swap between 3-4 guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i reckon in this part of the world you can get away with 6 months to about a year, depending on your sweat. and also how many guitars you're playing (and how much you're playing).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Tele doesn't get played much anymore and the strings go dark and rusty after around 6 months. I change them every 3 months just because if I do want to play it, I wouldn't be able to.

The guitars I use generally get changed 6 weekly.

I wouldn't put too much focus on that post. Without being mean, based on the general 'advice' given by the poster he should be asking for advice rather than giving it.
Im Not a ****ing spastic *6-8 weeks. You should have worked that out lol.
But with the 4 days of hot weather ok that was stupid take the piss out of that but ^ I Wouldnt be registered to this if i knew that little about electric guitars. i know when to change my strings !!!!!!!
Quote by Mephaphil
Nick, where do you get your information from?

6-8 months? Yuk. They'd be rusty and shit. And yea, it's been hot for weeks now.

My strings never rust, ever. Just because that's not true for you doesn't mean that your conditions apply to everyone. The guitars that I rarely play pretty much get the 6 month treatment. No point in changing them more often when they feel the same regardless.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yeah i mean southern california basically has zero humidity most of the time, right?

even here in NI (which is pretty damp and humid) i don't notice much degradation of my strings for several months. maybe my sweat is pretty benign
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
We hit around 40%-60% in the summer. Seems a higher than it feels though, and it is certainly only that high in the summer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Maybe they don't get rusty, but they'll lose everything that makes new strings and worn in strings so great.

Old strings, yuk. 8 months? Yukkier.
^^ ah ok. i think we have fairly high humidity most of the time i don't think it falls below 60% much
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?