I have bought new guts for a guitar. 2 humbuckers and a single coil then a 5 way switch 1 volume and 1 tone.
The pots and switch came pre wired so im pretty sure they are fine but i cant seem to get the pickups right. Ive followed the guide for them and the single coil is giving me trouble.
With the 2 humbuckers wired - 1st on the switch is neck which is fine then 2nd is neck as well which is fine 3rd nothing, 4th bridge and 5th bridge. This is what i expect and like this the guitar sounds nice but as soon as i connect the single coil the 4th position has no power at all. 2nd position works fine and 3rd and 5th work fine but 4th is almost like the volume has been turned to 0.5 there is no power.
What could be causing this because im sure i have it wired right i have done it twice from scratch and its been the same both times
So what do you want the switch to do? And can you post a diagram of exactly how the guitar is wired right now? There is a clipboard of parts you can use in the wiring thread sticky.

As for the volume, the numbers on the knobs were never intended to be precision references. Its common for the wiper to contact the end lugs even if the knob says there's still some adjustment left.
i want the switch to do the usual and switch between pickups. bridge, bridge-middle, middle, middle-neck, neck. There are 3 live wires going to the switch and its doing its job just not right. there is no power when its bridge and middle and i still cant figure out why
That's why I asked you to post a diagram of how the guitar is wired right now. If there's an error in your wiring I could look for it. Hell even a good pic could do.
im in the middle of rewiring with a new switch ill take a pic once im done.
its more or less the same as the wiring for a jem
http://binatani.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/wiring-diagram-ibanez-guitar-jem-series-5-switch.jpg
only difference is the colours black+white = red and white here and i have these taped off. so there is 3 hot wires (green) going to the 5 way switch same setup as the jem. they switch between the pickups the way i want so the order should be ok. for some reason the switch came pre wired with the volume pot soldered to the 2 middle connections (marked h on the jem diagram).
The single coil pickup in my case has the exact same wires as the humbuckers (its a duo rail) there is no ground or bare for the jem diagram but if i dont connect the 2 wires to a pot the single coil doesnt work.

heres a photo with the new switch in...same issue again. the image is too big and breaks the page so i had to link it
http://nerdburglars.net/images/random/dan/2013-07-14%2015.33.16.jpg
Last edited by d_ano at Jul 14, 2013,
www.guiarelectronics.com has free schematics for almost any pickup/switch configuration
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
www.guiarelectronics.com has free schematics for almost any pickup/switch configuration

ive followed the wiring guide though and ive gone wrong somehow and i dont know how.
First try swapping the wires of the middle pickup. It may just be out of phase with the neck causing the drop in output.

If that doesn't fix it try checking for continuity of the switches (each pole to its respective throws) and then check for continuity of the pickup itself.
Quote by Invader Jim
First try swapping the wires of the middle pickup. It may just be out of phase with the neck causing the drop in output.

If that doesn't fix it try checking for continuity of the switches (each pole to its respective throws) and then check for continuity of the pickup itself.

swapping the wires did the trick thanks for the help! Its kinda frustrating since i contacted the site and they said read the box and the instructions on the box turned out to be wrong. Whatever sounds awesome now! cheers!