I was recently rehearsing with my band using a rack set up of guitar -> pedals -> Engl preamp -> EHX Magnum 44 power amp -> 4x12. Early into the rehearsal my volume kept cutting out and then coming back every few seconds, making it sound as though I had some sort of tremolo effect on.

I turned everything off, checked the connections, turned it all back on and the problem started straight away. I then figured it might be my noise gate so I actually disconnected it, but the problem still continued. Eventually I disconnected everything but the guitar and Magnum 44, at which point the problem had got really bad and the volume was going and coming back several times per second. At this point I noticed the power light on the Magnum 44 was flickering on and off constantly.

Any ideas what was going on here? I've since had it on (at lower volumes, mind you) and it seems absolutely fine, but I'm a bit confused as to what the heck happened here.
Jackson, Peavey, Line 6 <3
My guess from that would be a dodgey power socket (the DC one). If you wiggle it does it cut in and out?
If so, you could try cleaning it but it may need replacing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've just tried wiggling it and it's absolutely fine, so I don't think it's that. Could it be to do with the power in the rehearsal room? We were in a different room to usual, whereas I've never had issues in our usual room.
It would have to be pretty bad.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are you using any sort of power conditioner?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
None at all - the Engl and pedals were running off a fairly cheap multisocket and the Magnum 44 was plugged straight into the mains. I tried plugging it into the multisocket with the Engl and pedals as well and had the same issue.
Take it to a tech. Hopefully just a cracked solder joint.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.