Page 1 of 4
I made I thread suggesting that Emulation could be better than Tube Amps, I gave several reasons to back up my point, I wasn't 'forcing' anybody, just generally asking what their take on the matter was, and how they disagree with my points. Really, I just wanted to put my ideas to the test. However, it wasn't so easy. People on this forum call you a troll for stating something new, start becoming offensive, insecure, and just make themselves lose any respect. It seems to me that you're doomed unless you kiss everyones arse on here. You know, that 'I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine' - this completely goes against all my beliefs. How did my thread get closed so quickly? It wasn't abusive, it wasn't unreasonable? Oh I know! It's because "Cath" or some cronies of a moderator didn't like it, and he was top friends with the moderator, so the moderator scratched "Caths" back and took my thread down. It seems like a very hierarchical society on here, not really to my liking. I got a warning, for what? Asking about a new idea? Rok8995, a real lame moderator, ought to be got rid of. Although that won't happen soon. Anyway, this is my last post. I think I'll move to harmony central, some of my friends use it and say it's great.
It's not being close minded if your blatantly wrong
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
you think emulation could be better than tube amps? the **** is wrong with you? i am unwilling to change my mind regardless of how good your argument is because that is ridiculous.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Emulation simply is better than Tube for so many practical reasons I'm surprised it need be explained
Yeah i think these commie creationist potheads in the Pit should open their mind up to the real truths in the universe like astrology, homeopathy and old fashioned capitalism.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by captainsnazz
+1

I'm gonna take it a step further and ask why you'd even play an instrument that isn't just a macbook?

Precisely. What use are actual instruments in today's world?

And I'm not even joking.
I'm guessing you probably didn't just get a warning for making a statement that somebody disagreed with.

That only happens here in the pit.
Quote by willT08
Precisely. What use are actual instruments in today's world?

And I'm not even joking.

+1 you can get all the digital instruments that sound perfect 100% of the time and use them at your leisure, instead of having those bulking pieces of wood and brass that you have to tediously tune and maintain

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm a hybrid guy myself. Valve pre, and a decent SMPS power amp section is great. If SMPS is good enough for Linn, it's good enough for everyone.

That does sound perfect actually. I've played some really nice SS pre, valve power amps but not the other way round. Are such things affordable?

Quote by willT08
What use are actual instruments in today's world?

guitar is easier than synth
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jul 14, 2013,
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
+1 you can get all the digital instruments that sound perfect 100% of the time and use them at your leisure, instead of having those bulking pieces of wood and brass that you have to tediously tune and maintain

Plus you have a potentially infinite number of timbres you can produce. How dull is it when you listen to an album and every track has a guitar, bass and traditional drumkit on it?

It's like fuuuuck me, bands. Do they even try to make interesting music?

EDIT: ^ It's much easier to draw MIDI notes than play a guitar
Quote by korinaflyingv
That does sound perfect actually. I've played some really nice SS pre, valve power amps but not the other way round. Are such things affordable?

Absolutely. I have a really nice little pre/DI stompbox with a 12AT7 valve by Dave Hall Amps which only cost about £130. 3 band EQ with a sweepable misrange control, gain, blend control, headphone out, DI output control, line output control, ground lift, brightness switch... all handmade to order as well. I run it into an Ashdown Little Giant 300w amp. The pre is about the size of a maltesars box, the Ashdown isn't mich bigger than twice the size of that. My little brother is going to build me a new power amp based off of Linn's SMPS designs as a school holiday project. I'm looking for a more hifi sound, a low noise floor and a good amount of headroom to keep things clean sounding, but then use the pre if I want some dirt.

Give this a read, explains better than I can. Page 3 onwards.

http://small.linncdn.com/product-catalogue/documents/Linn_Klimax_Solo_Owners_Manual.pdf
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 14, 2013,
This thread is funny because I think that everyone thinks that Will is being funny and they are going along with it, but in fact Will seriously believes that real instruments are pointless.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
original poster:

In your other thread, you mention that the reason you're excited is because you just discovered amplitube 3 and are jumping on a bandwagon you just discovered.

That's all well and good but it's the equivalent of someone going
"hey guys I just discovered a new band called led zeppelin! They're really good, we should listen to them all the time, why aren't you listening to them right now? They have a song called stairway to heaven, it's really awesome!! seriously, why aren't you listening to them right now??"

The point is modeling has existed in some form or other for a few decades now. It's getting better every year but it's not new and exciting anymore.

Tubes are a tried and true method of amplifying guitars. They've been around for a century and they survived the switch to transistor (which was a MUCH bigger threat to tube amplification than digital modeling...)

For the vast majority of musicians, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. And tube amps have been the workhorse of guitar tone for every genre of music across the planet for as long as there's been guitar driven records. Even modelers try to copy tube sounds and dynamics

So when you have someone who's been using the same technology in a satisfying manner for decades see a technology still in its infancy be replaced by something "new and better" every 6 months but still fall short of the original, it's a little ridiculous.

I agree that modeling has been getting better and better but since its main purpose is to copy something totally different, I don't see how it can totally stamp out the original. It might become cheaper and more convenient, but better sounding? no I don't think so

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?
Quote by theogonia777
This thread is funny because I think that everyone thinks that Will is being funny and they are going along with it, but in fact Will seriously believes that real instruments are pointless.

Absolutely. Prove me wrong

Sadly I can have a Martin acoustic up in a track any time I want thanks to multisampling, and it cost me nothing. Have fun spending the thousands on the guitar and mics and room to get the same results lol
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm looking for a more hifi sound, a low noise floor and a good amount of headroom to keep things clean sounding, but then use the pre if I want some dirt.

That's like exactly what I'm after, I can get a really nice hifi-ish clean sound going into my Hartke 3500 but it doesn't sound so great with dirt pedals. And it always feels like it's about to explode at high volumes...
That Dave Hall stuff looks really nice, the cheapest one is pretty well priced too.
Would you recommend the Little Giant? If not I might see if my Dad's up for building me a Linn clone or something.

Quote by theogonia777
but in fact Will seriously believes that real instruments are pointless.

you seriously believe that?
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Jul 14, 2013,
Will would burn instruments like Hitler burned books if he had the chance.

Quote by korinaflyingv
That's like exactly what I'm after, I can get a really nice hifi-ish clean sound going into my Hartke 3500 but it doesn't sound so great with dirt pedals. And it always feels like it's about to explode at high volumes...
That Dave Hall stuff looks really nice, the cheapest one is pretty well priced too.
Would you recommend the Little Giant? If not I might see if my Dad's up for building me a Linn clone or something.

It's a good little box, the Little Giant. It came in two flavours, but both are discontinued. If you can find one, there's a 1000w version with the same dimensions, with two 500w (4 ohm) outputs. Genz Benz make some brilliant micro amps as well.
Last edited by Deliriumbassist at Jul 14, 2013,
I will never part ways my my tube amps. But I do have a mac with Logic Studio that has mainstage. What an amazing tool to have in your arsenal. Both have a lot of great points to hit on, but nothing beats pushing a tube amp with a gnarly fuzz.
Quote by korinaflyingv
you seriously believe that?

Will once quit his job at an animal shelter when he found out that one of the dogs was named after Leo Fender.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Will would burn instruments like Hitler burned books if he had the chance.

It's actually for the same reason. Hitler hated books because Mein Kampf was a flop and Will hates instruments because he isn't good at actually playing them.

Will reminds me of the old saying: those who can't do teach, and those that can't play an instrument produce house and dubstep.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777

lolstack.jpeg

I totally got played a fool then, I thought he was joking ;_;

I can appreciate the convenience of digital instruments, they're no where near par with actual ones in every other light

Quote by eGraham
Quote by theguitarist
Quote by Wolfinator-x
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I totally got played a fool then, I thought he was joking ;_;

I can appreciate the convenience of digital instruments, they're no where near par with actual ones in every other light

Any explanation at all would help your point.

People say this all the time and then completely fail to mention how a guitar is more use to them musically than any free 2 oscillator synth you can download for free
╔═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful, strong emulator ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no approval ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚═════════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ════════════════╝
Thank you darling, made it last night. Thinking of making it my submission for the Post Rock album. The feedback I get on those is always hilarious
Quote by willT08
Any explanation at all would help your point.

People say this all the time and then completely fail to mention how a guitar is more use to them musically than any free 2 oscillator synth you can download for free

This is like explaining to an illiterate person why they should buy a book when they could watch a free movie on TV for free
Quote by korinaflyingv
how so?

and last hour would get my vote over sable

Last time I submitted some ambient thing with a 4 to the floor kick to drive it along. Other than that I don't think there was any percussion actually.

Anyhow, album gets released and I get told even though my music is boring I have a future making club bangers by some lad A few people said they liked it though, so I felt good about it.

And yeah, I think it should as well. Need to have a word with Hriday

EDIT: ^ It should be easy for you then. Always worth a chuckle when people cling so badly to bits of wood with strings on them and tell themselves it's worth thousands of pounds on equipment to make sounds that take 20 minutes and an internet connection to make
Last edited by willT08 at Jul 14, 2013,
Page 1 of 4