Hey all. I'm a bit curious about something...
If people already have really nice amps, why on earth do they use Multi-FX pedals with them?
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Erm, to get effects. The best amps have no effects built in apart from maybe reverb (not counting distortion as an effect). It's either pedals or MFX and which you choose is a matter of taste and application.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Erm, to get effects. The best amps have no effects built in apart from maybe reverb (not counting distortion as an effect). It's either pedals or MFX and which you choose is a matter of taste and application.

I understand THAT, but don't most MFX alter the tone? (I had that problem with my now sold ME-25, but then again it was low end)
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Quote by Boonnoo666
I understand THAT, but don't most MFX alter the tone? (I had that problem with my now sold ME-25, but then again it was low end)

All pedals alter tone. A good digital unit does it just as well as most standalone pedals.
Quote by jpnyc
All pedals alter tone. A good digital unit does it just as well as most standalone pedals.

What I mean is that these MFX pedals add a completely new sound (amp model) to it, defeating the object of the amp?
Quote by treborillusion

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
My website
Mainly because they're cheap convenient and portable.
- A full rack of pedals is going to cost you minimum of £50 a unit which -> £300
- If you have one song where you need to go from clean, dry reverb, slightly flanged suddenly into a huge heavy chorus with distortion and delay to fill out the back then you're going to need to get good at tapdancing pretty fast...
- If you're gigging small venues regularly then it's a lot less bulk to just sling a multi FX in front of your rig. Most live sound isn't going to do great things for your tone (particularly in small venues with cheap rigs and bad soundtechs) so a multi FX is way easier than spending half an hour fiddling with patch cables everytime you need to rock up and play with pretty much no sound check.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Boonnoo666
What I mean is that these MFX pedals add a completely new sound (amp model) to it, defeating the object of the amp?

Any MFX/DSP that doesn't let you turn off the amp/cab modeling (or route the signal how you want) is a piece of shit.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by doive
If you're gigging small venues regularly then it's a lot less bulk to just sling a multi FX in front of your rig. Most live sound isn't going to do great things for your tone (particularly in small venues with cheap rigs and bad soundtechs) so a multi FX is way easier than spending half an hour fiddling with patch cables everytime you need to rock up and play with pretty much no sound check.

And then the good lord said, let there be PEDALBOARDS
Quote by Boonnoo666

You can turn the amp and cabinet models off.

There are also presets in multi FX pedals. That means less tap dancing needed.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 14, 2013,
There are also more than a few MFX units that don't have amp/cab sims. MFX units have been around since the 80's and it's only pretty recently that amp sims have been available in some MFX units.

It depends on how you operate. In some situations being able to switch multiple effects on and off on a patch by patch basis is highly desirable, in other situations it isn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Actually amp sims can be disable, most people use them for the time effects, such as chorus, delay/echo, reverb.

I do a 4 cable connection with a Boss GT-10 and a analog preamp and don't use any sims on the Boss. It does my switching of preamp channels, two noise gates when needed, compression/eq/overdrive boost when needed, then all the lush effects in the loop such as harmonizator, reverb, chorus, delay, etc. All is controlled via the Boss volume pedal. There is some slight loss of fidelity due to the fact that it passes two digital stages but the end result is fed into tube power amp which compensates with a nice power stage grind.