TL;DR - My local music scene sucks and I want to move to a more lively place. Where should I move?

I've done some Google searches, but haven't found any relevant posts from the last year, so I decided to make my own.

Here's some detailed info about me. My friend and I have been in a band together since 2009, but have had trouble finding members in our area (New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Maine). For the last two years, we have been actively trying to find a solid line-up, yet we've never managed to get people to stay around, whether it be due to their leaving for college or they just weren't pulling their own weight.

We've tried Craigslist countless times, we have posters up at the local music stores, we've tried networking with other local bands, and we've even talked to people we've met through work and school, yet nothing has seemed to work in our favor. We either find a drummer and then our guitarist quits, or we find a guitarist and then our drummer moves away. The cycle then repeats two or three more times until we currently have neither.

Our local music scene is completely dead. Local bands don't sell tickets anymore, so the only places left to play are at bars. The closest place national acts ever get to us is either Boston or Worcester, and both of those are at least an hour away. We've pretty much exhausted all of the options in our area; there just don't seem to be any people left here that actually care about music, and we've decided that our next best move would be to relocate. We have a few thousand dollars put away for this, so we're prepared to do whatever it takes.

Some places that I'm considering are Albany NY, Philadelphia PA, Charlotte NC, Providence RI, Chicago IL, St. Petersburg FL, and Atlanta GA. What do you guys think? We're looking for a punk/hardcore scene (trying to escape the metalcore and deathcore scene), so if there's anyone on here that knows what the music scene is like in those areas, or perhaps knows of a better fit for us, please feel free to share your two cents.

Big thanks for any advice and info you give!
I imagine any big city will be interchangable with each other for the kind of thing you want. I've always thought it was silly to move somewhere and change so many aspects of your life, just so theres better local bands.
Well I know I am currently saving up some extra money to move into Chicago. I live a few hours away from there and here the ONLY music scene is metalcore stuff. I know Chicago has a pretty large indie scene and a decent sized experimental scene too. I haven't had too much time to look into the punk scene and that is just what I've experienced in my visits there. As far as the places you named, I would go with Chicago. In my honest opinion it would probably be your best chance out of those. I have checked out Atlanta, St. Petersburg (and almost every major city in Florida), and briefly Charlotte. I have friends in the Philadelphia and NY areas and that is more like radio rock oriented according to them (they are into thrash though). Can't say much about Rhode Island though. Anyway I hope this helped, sorry I can't offer much more advice man, and good luck!
I guess you're already learning more about the economy/jobs/housing/cost of living in each area as well using stuff like this and this. It's up to you!
Just because places are exceeding now doesn't mean they'll exceed in a year to two years.

No matter where you go you're gonna have bands that don't sell tickets and you'll have bands that do play deathcore/metalcore, it happens, it's music, it's lazy people, it's the music scene
Quote by Deathro
Just because places are exceeding now doesn't mean they'll exceed in a year to two years.

No matter where you go you're gonna have bands that don't sell tickets and you'll have bands that do play deathcore/metalcore, it happens, it's music, it's lazy people, it's the music scene

Cause metalcore is made by lazy people
San Francisco.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Seattle has a good hardcore scene
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence
Thanks to everyone who has posted so far! If I could move to the moon, I would. I'll definitely take all of your advice into consideration. I hadn't considered the west coast as an option, so I'll look into that as well! Seeing as how music is our life, we're more than okay with moving somewhere else if it means having a better chance at taking our band to the next level.

If there's anyone else, please keep the advice coming. It's much appreciated!

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I actually like metalcore. It's just that where I live that's all people want to hear/play, and it's hard to get anyone to come out to see a punk band. I want to find a place where there would be more opportunities for us.
I always hear how good Seattle is, and loads of good bands have come from there... Grunge etc.

As for here in the UK, all I can say is that here in Wrexham, Wales there is NO scene whatsoever. It's terrible and whenever bands do come to play they're only... you said it.... metalcore -_-
In all seriousness though, Detroit would be a great city to move to. Okay im done. Seattle is a good bet.
The closest places that national acts play are an hour away? Man, that's better than me and I wouldn't describe my local scene as "dead" by any means. I live in a small rural town and the area within a 10-mile radius there is nothing, but once I drive half an hour outside of my house I'm in one of the fastest growing hardcore areas in the state (south-central pennsylvania). I live 2 and a half hours from Philadelphia, but the local scene in the Gettysburg, Lancaster, and York areas of Pennsylvania are great. My band is based out of Gettysburg, which takes 40 minutes for me to drive there. I have a day job, so I'm not going to relocate to Gettysburg. But if Boston or whatever you said is only an hour away, you don't need to relocate. You just need to be willing to drive a little. Relocating just seems a bit like over-kill to me. Look for bandmates in those areas and then look for a practice space in between Boston and wherever you live. Half an hour to practice isn't bad at all, and you'll get more gigs in a big city.
Minneapolis has an emerging music scene I've heard. NY and LA are big enough cities to where you'll find whatever you're looking for musically.

If you were considering Charlotte, I'd look at Asheville, NC. Beautiful place that has hosted a bunch of great talent and has a growing music scene. Plus it's within driving distance (2-4 hrs) from Charlotte, Nashville, and Atlanta. These aren't punk bands or anything but a just few of the bands that have performed THIS YEAR at Asheville (or are about to) include Nine Inch Nails, Walk the Moon, Cold War Kids, The National, Jimmy Eat World, Mastodon, Queens of the Stone Age, The xx, The Killers, Imagine Dragons, Jack White, etc. And the town's only like 80,000 people.

Hope that helped
Quote by DavesCrusade
But if Boston or whatever you said is only an hour away, you don't need to relocate. You just need to be willing to drive a little. Relocating just seems a bit like over-kill to me. Look for bandmates in those areas and then look for a practice space in between Boston and wherever you live. Half an hour to practice isn't bad at all, and you'll get more gigs in a big city.

I see your point here. But we've tried looking in all of the states around us. I live in New Hampshire right on the border to both Massachusetts and Maine, and my friend lives an hour west from me, so commuting isn't an issue for us. It just seems that everyone else in this area is far too lazy to drive more than 15 minutes away from their house, whether it be for a practice or going to a show. And most of them aren't interested in the style we play, so it's hard to find anyone to begin with.