so, i am trying to decide between a 22 and 24fret guitar and one thing i noticed is that i frequently strum very high up right over the neck pickup ( on a 22 fret les paul style) or sometimes even flirting with the fretboard.

when i tested out some 24 fretters, i noticed that my natural strumming position was almost sntirely over the fretboard.

i really dont know the implications of this. is that poor for tone, etc?

this may change my decision for 22 or 24 frets.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 14, 2013,
Quote by ikey_
so, i am trying to decide between a 22 and34fret guitar and one thing i noticed is that i frequently strum very high up right over the neck pickup ( on a 22 fret les paul style) or sometimes even flirting with the fretboard.

when i tested out some 24 fretters, i noticed that my natural strumming position was almost sntirely over the fretboard.

34… That's intense.

All joking aside, I know a lot of players that strum closer to/over the fret board when playing.

Hell, Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains did it when I saw him on Thursday night. I don't find it poor for tone, just play where you feel comfy and sounds good to your ears.
Main Rig:

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us...

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Strumming over the fretboard is the ticket to a huge, lush, warm strumming tone. Sounds amazing clean. Hendrix did it often.
right but all the time? im worried it may be poor style / technique. it is making my second guess my decision to go 24 frets
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
It wouldn't be poor technique or have a bad sound; There's no such thing.
The only thing that could be classed as bad technique is to hold the guitar in a way that could cause longterm damage (bending wrist into uncomfortable positions can cause CTS).

Generally, as JP said, strumming closer to the centre of the strings would give it a much warmer tone, but if you're so far over the fretboard that you're blocking access to the upper frets, just move slightly closer to the bridge.
WHOA. i just had a revelation.

i was playing around on my epiphone les paul and was standing up, and sitting down while playing in the mirror. what i have found is that the position of the guitar resting on my leg actually moved the guitar back a bit, making my hand seem further forward.

so, when i was playing a 24 fret today, my hand was even further forward the normal so it appears i was dealing with a physical change in posture which was almost making my feel like there was an optical allusion.

what about you guys, do you notice sitting and standing posture changing how you strum / pick?

also, because of this your tone is subject to change i suppose.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
No because I play in classical position when I'm sitting.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_

This is sort of impossible to answer, actually -- what guitars are you talking about?

An SG, for example, is the identical guitar whether it has 22 or 24 frets. When they moved the neck pickup back in, like '63 (I think), they left enough room for a couple of frets between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup. The Iommi and some other models have simply filled in that area with two more frets. Everything else about the guitar, including neck length, bridge position and strap buttons, stays the same.

On an LP, moving to a 24 fret guitar usually means that the neck pushes away from the body (lengthening by about 3/4") and the bridge and bridge pickup move toward the neck pickup, closing that gap by about the same amount. The strap buttons and all that remain in the same location, so in theory your fretting hand would move about 3/4" to the left to fret the same notes. This arrangement makes it LESS likely that you're going to pick over the fretboard, not more.

There are any number of 24-fret superstrats and the like. Carvins' neck-through guitars are almost all 24-fret with a 25" scale, but their form factor doesn't promote playing over the fretboard, either.

Some guitars locate their waists (the part that would naturally fit the body over a thigh) in different positions relative to the bridge and the neck. THAT would make a difference whether you're playing 22 or 24 frets. An SG sits differently from an LP, for example, and it hangs from the strap differently. And a Strat hangs differently from an SG, regardless of number of frets.

So what kind of guitars are we talkin' here?
well i compare 22 on a les style which is what i own. also fenders, ibanez artcore hollow body

i was playing 24 fretters of all brands yesterday: ibanez, prs SE, music man, jackson.

i was also testing out fret sizes and neck radius. so basically i walked around guitar center and picked up about ever darn guitar there was.

perhaps you are right. its not so much the frets, but the body style. i mean, a prs is going to sit in my leg the same regardless. then neck pickup moving back just seems to be the cause by looking down. i didnt realize its both items together and when you stand up the guitar positions differently.

music man was one of the worst for this issue, but look at the body. the lower bout is FAR back.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/music-man-silhouette-non-tremolo-electric-guitar
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by ikey_
so, i am trying to decide between a 22 and 24fret guitar and one thing i noticed is that i frequently strum very high up right over the neck pickup ( on a 22 fret les paul style) or sometimes even flirting with the fretboard.

Dude, I do the same thing. I've only been playing for 3 1/2 years, but imho, playing over the fretboard is the way to go. I didn't even do it to try to sound better, it's just a habit. It sounds so warm, rounded, and powerful. Trust me, you're good