I'm 14, just started out 6 months ago. I take lessons at a local shop and I practice a ton. My teacher is pretty impressed at my progress. I like to play classic rock and metal. MY fingers arnt very long and are kind fat. I myself am skinny. Can fat short fingers prevent you from being a great guitarist? I want to be able to play fast complex licks.
Nope. Making up excuses for yourself to suck can, though.

Assume that there is nothing holding you back except thousands of hours of practice and there is no limit to what you can accomplish.
SRV had pretty thick fingers.

BB King, too.

Last edited by Monkeyleg at Jul 14, 2013,
No. It's what you do with them that counts.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Quote by tappooh
BB King isnt exactly the greatest player from a technical point of view.

He isn't fast, but the man has the sweetest bends and vibrato I've ever heard.

And he's the fuckin King.
To be honest Im not a fan of BB King and I dont find his bends or vibrato astonishing at all but thats not the point.

TS said he wants to play fast and complex solos so coming up with BB King as an example isnt really going to help him. Michael Romeo however...
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
i have pretty thin short fingers. i manage. you can too. but you probably will be pulling yourself back with the excuse that your fat fingers won't manage to play out something great.
Quote by Geldin
He isn't fast, but the man has the sweetest bends and vibrato I've ever heard.

And he's the fuckin King.

This. I am a metal-head through and through, but out of all the bands/artists I've ever seen, BB King ranks into the top 3 performances I've been privileged to see. Pure soul goes from God to BB King through his hands and into Lucille.

I had to post this because I can't tolerate the badmouthing of a legend.

Oh, and I have GORILLA hands and I can shred.
Last edited by KailM at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by tappooh
BB King isnt exactly the greatest player from a technical point of view

Yeah but he still has more emotion and feeling in one bend than in an hour of shitty sweep picking.
Quote by The Dimery
Yeah but he still has more emotion and feeling in one bend than in an hour of shitty sweep picking.

Well said.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Quote by The Dimery

Quote by Syndromed
Well said.

Hurr durr, feels brah!

Keep it out of here guys, we don't use that word in this forum.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hurr durr, feels brah!

Keep it out of here guys, we don't use that word in this forum.

Except pain. Every feel here should be about pain.
Quote by The Dimery

He really doesn't, he's an iconic guitarist, yes, but if faced by Michael Romeo or someone like that, he couldn't just hit one bend and walk out victorious. Don't turn your nose up because a guitarist doesn't play 'da bl00z', because people will be turning their nose up at Blues guitarists for not playing Classical, elitism is pointless, and, in this case, false.
To me, being great means you know what you are good at. I remember a show almost 2 years ago now, where 2 bands stuck to what the did great, and not surprisingly, have gone on to bigger and better things. The other band? Well they had a singer who couldn't sing and couldn't solo, and insisted on doing both. No body remembers or knows who they are now. I think they have broke up.

Tl ;dr- if you can't shred, find what you can do well. Challenge yourself but your "worth" as a guitarist is what you are good at.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
"Omg you guysh the only way to get feel and emotshion out of yur getar is by duin bending and vubrateau!!"
baab
Quote by My Last Words
"Omg you guysh the only way to get feel and emotshion out of yur getar is by duin bending and vubrateau!!"

I'd recommend keeping stupid comments like that in the pit before you get warned or banned. Believe me, it can happen.

OT: No. In no way does finger size affect how good you play. As far as I can tell, the ONLY thing it affects is how you place your fingers when playing chords. It's just a matter of getting used to adjusting.

For the record, I'm not picking sides because I don't listen to BB king. I'm just telling people to watch their comments before they get warned or whatever.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jul 16, 2013,
lol @ fanboys getting butthurt - this forum (and mankind in general) never cease to amaze me.

Also, "feeling" is subjective. One bend might mean a lot to you just like it could mean nothing to me. Learn to respect other people's opinion.
Last edited by tappooh at Jul 16, 2013,
Quit the genre bashing people

BB King is a great guitarist, that's a fact. Arguing against that fact is blinkered fanboism, not the other way round, that idiotic belief that a "great" guitarist can only be someone who's incredibly technically proficient. Greatness isn't something you choose for yourself, and the funny thing is that it's only really guitarists that get a massive hard on for shredding. BB King is incredibly skilled within his chosen genre, has written some iconic songs and has had an incredibly long and successful career. More relevant to this thread is that he's a big guy with fat fingers.

Tappooh, it's your comment that sparked all this off and looking back it wasn't remotely helpful and didn't contribute to the discussion at hand at all. I wasn't going to warn you for the first post and was going to just give everyone the benefit if the doubt, however your response means that all you've done in this thread is post a controversial comment then reply later with a rather smug post about the trouble you've caused and that, my friend, is textbook trolling. And that gets a warning
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
No problem, I dont even know what a warning is or if I have ever been warned before but okay.

My first comment wasnt out of context at all, TS clearly said he wants to play fast solos and a guy came up with BB King, I just pointed out that he doesnt play those fast solos.

If anything it was Geldin's comment that started the "fight" but whatever.
Quote by steven seagull
Quit the genre bashing people

BB King is a great guitarist, that's a fact. Arguing against that fact is blinkered fanboism, not the other way round, that idiotic belief that a "great" guitarist can only be someone who's incredibly technically proficient. Greatness isn't something you choose for yourself, and the funny thing is that it's only really guitarists that get a massive hard on for shredding. BB King is incredibly skilled within his chosen genre, has written some iconic songs and has had an incredibly long and successful career. More relevant to this thread is that he's a big guy with fat fingers.

This. All of this.

On this topic, which has somewhat derailed this thread, I've stopped using the term "emotion" (or similar terms/phrases) when having this type of conversation. Rather, I prefer saying someone has good "musicality", or is very "musical" in their playing. Take Guthrie Govan for example. The guy has otherworldly technical ability on the guitar, but rarely could you say he "overplays". He's very musical in his playing. Every note has a purpose, whether it's a mind blowing legato passage or a big bluesy bend. To me, the mark of a great guitarist is being able to make every note purposeful, whether you're playing 10 or 10,000.

Back to the topic of the thread, though. No, I don't believe having fat fingers can totally prevent you from becoming an excellent guitarist. I've seen a number of guys with sausages for digits who are fantastic players. I could see the potential for fat fingers to prove problematic in fretting more difficult passages, but I don't believe it's a problem that couldn't be overcome.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.