First off, I know there is a refinishing thread but its practically dead so I decided to post here. I have a 94 Les Paul Special thats in dire need of a refinish. I was wondering how much the value of the guitar is effected by painting a non factory color? If I do paint it an original gibson color it will be pelham blue and look almost Identical to this

Any modification is likely to reduce the value of your guitar, especially if you don't do a very good job of it. If you look at the amount of time and effort it takes to do a refinish, you might as well just keep it as-is if you just want to sell it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 15, 2013,
Yeah. If you want the guitar to keep then refinish it but if you're intending to sell it, it would be best to sell as is, as the person buying it might want to refinish it themselves, get a professional to do it or leave it in its original condition.
Boxing Kangaroo Of The Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only.
Refinishing a guitar isn't difficult at all. If you use a factory color, it won't significantly change the value of a Special. Look up Guitar ReRanch or Ohio Valley Nitro. ReRanch will tell you everything that you need to know. And Ohio Valley Nitro will sell you the Pelham Blue. I'd go with the TV Yellow, though. I have a Junior in yellow, and it's ridiculous how many compliments it gets. Hell, I'd paint it for ya.
I'm confident I can do a good job of it, I've already read the stuff on reranch and have painted alot of shit in the past. Sadly the guitar doesn't have an original finish now, it had a satin black paint job that someone did a shit job on when I got it.
Quote by Fastiticalon
I'm confident I can do a good job of it, I've already read the stuff on reranch and have painted alot of shit in the past. Sadly the guitar doesn't have an original finish now, it had a satin black paint job that someone did a shit job on when I got it.

then let it rip, refinishing it won't hurt the value one bit. just do a nice job.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.