Hey guys,

So i went out and bout a shitty m-audio keyboard and all the preset sounds on the thing completely suck.. so im asking if any of you know of any good sounding samples of violins or just what plugins i should have just for general midi recording you know like a plug in every midi artist should have in their library. Free or paid, like i found this and it sounds amazing http://www.synful.com/Download.htm but i can't spend 500 bucks on it.

So yeah any help on great midi samples free and paid for would be awesome!

Cheers guys!
First of all, you don't want "midi samples", you want audio samples to be played witha midi keyboard.

If you just need the samples, just google "free [name of the sampler you'll be using] [instrument you want samples of] samples"

If you still can't find anything, try http://www.freesound.org/, which I found to be home of more than a couple good sample libraries.

If I got something wrong about your question, please tell me so we can help you properly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
What m audio product did you buy?

I was not aware thy made synthesizers.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
What m audio product did you buy?

I was not aware thy made synthesizers.

It doesn't.

If he's searching for samples, it's probably just a midi controller he wants to use to play them on a computer.

Or, the keyboard has a built in samler with bad samples he wants to substitute.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
It doesn't.

If he's searching for samples, it's probably just a midi controller he wants to use to play them on a computer.

Or, the keyboard has a built in samler with bad samples he wants to substitute.

Yes this i want to hit a key on my keyboard and it to play some good sounding violins with each lol if i play a c the violin plays a c haha.
and thankyou so much for that link i hope im wrong in saying that it isnt just sounds of stuff is it? Coz I fund some violin melodies and stuff not just the note as i explained above.. Im extremly new to this so please excuse me.
Last edited by ToastedAndButte at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by ToastedAndButte
Yes this i want to hit a key on my keyboard and it to play some good sounding violins with each lol if i play a c the violin plays a c haha.
and thankyou so much for that link i hope im wrong in saying that it isnt just sounds of stuff is it? Coz I fund some violin melodies and stuff not just the note as i explained above.. Im extremly new to this so please excuse me.

It's also loops.

You just want samples, you find them and download just them (search something like "pizzicato violin" for example)

If you want to play them anyway you need some kind of sampler, like Kontakt.

I'd get something else since Kontakt is expensive and isn't really a good program, technically speaking (it's slow, it takes a looot of ram).

http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/
http://secure.digidesign.com/services/avid/kb/downloads.cfm?digiArticleId=27017&localeCode=en
http://www.uvi.net/en/software/uvi-workstation.html

These three are all free samplers but I haven't seen AAX versions, so if you have a recent version of Pro Tools, you're a bit ****ed.

If you don't, get the last one.

If you do instead, and money isn't a problem, get Kontakt.

If money is a problem, you're screwed.
I couldn't find any free samples in AAX format.

The best advice I can give you is to drop pro tools (unless you're doing something reeeeally professional) in favor of something like Logic (if you have a mac), live, reason, studio 1 or whatever else you feel like.

In fact, pro tools is more or less the opposite of what you want if you just wanna mess around - it's heavy, slow, complicated, outdated, hardly compatible with anything, and pricey.

Pro tools is actually famous and used because of the fact that it comes with good quality hardware (which logic can opeate too...) and it works as an integrated system, and it has a name in the industry, so if you're a big studio you can advertise the fact that you work with that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jul 16, 2013,
thanks for the links man! So your saying i have to trim which parts of the "Violin" i want and use the trimmed bit as a note? I have to sample a sample? lol still a bit confused i was under the impression you could just buy/torrent packs of synthetic sounds? I am using pro tools 8 LE on a new MBP and im quite familiar with PT I def dont wanna ditch it.. Thankyou for your awesome reply!
Sorry, I didn't really explain myself.

You can find sample packs on that website I gave you the link to, but the site hosts loops too.
You just gotta find samples instead of loops, like this.

You can indeed buy/torrent (but let's just say buy, you probably don't wanna get banned) sample packs - not synthetic. The synthetic ones comes from synthesizers, which you can also play via midi with that keyboard of yours; you can actually find sampled synthesized sounds, but it's not really a smart idea to use them. Anyway, in order to play them you will need a sample player.

The most famous one, and for which there are more sample libraries, is Kontakt, which is as expensive as hell considering what it actually does.

If you get that you can find libraries everywhere, from $50 to $999, it just depends on what you need.

Since you got PT8 and you want free samples though, you can just download the free UVI workstation and map the samples so you can play them with your keyboard.

One thing you gotta understand, though, is that the thing between having samples and playing them is the sampler - if you don't have one you just can't play audio samples with that keyboard.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola