hi there,
first off - sorry if this is in the wrong forum. this was the closest i thought i could get to a sensible place to post it.

question is a pretty simple one - musically, when working in a band, the music i write isn't particularly similar to what i listen to at all. my favourite musician is elliott smith and i love a lot of hyper melodic things like that, 60's girl group stuff too, but the vast majority of what i listen to is punk - 80s hardcore, folk punk, that sorta thing.

when in a band, however, i think i come out sounding a lot more grunge / rock. i grew up on grunge so i don't think that this is such a terrible thing, but does anyone else have any experience like this? i'm getting worried that even though it's a lot of fun to play and is what comes naturally to me, if it's not necessarily music which i myself listen to these days, is there a problem here? is this something i should look to fix?

thanks,
f
There's no problem that I see. If you like the music you make does it matter if it's not imitating someone else (intentionally)?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
no, i don't think so. and to be fair, this latest band i'm in is very early days yet so we'll see how it goes. it sounds good in terms of what we're playing and that - i'm just getting a little worried that once we've gotten songs i'd listen to it and think 'it's good for what it is but what it is is nothing like what i listen to'
maybe that's dumb or maybe that's premature but i've always been of the mindset that if i liked what i wrote then that was a sign that it was good for something, that someone else out there would like it. but if i only like it from a writing perspective rather than as a listener, doesn't that kinda invalidate it?

i don't want to write musician's music, i want to write listener's music, if you know what i mean.
Well it's hard, if not impossible for the artist to determine whether his music has mass appeal or not. All the artist can do is make art that he thinks is good.

In otber words, if your music is not liked this will become obvious when you start playing gigs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I don't really care about what genre I write. I write whatever comes to my mind. Sometimes it's pop, sometimes metal, sometimes funk, most of the times rock. And yeah, it's pretty impossible to know if people will like your music. So just write music.

Though if you write for your band, you don't want to write too different songs - your band needs to have its own sound. Some songs work with my band, others don't and we know which songs will work. I have only written one song for our band (our guitarist writes most of our songs and sometimes I collaborate with him).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jul 15, 2013,
Many bands admit (especially pop artists) to not listening to the type of music they play. It's not really a problem.

As far as getting to there (to playing music you listen to), the only advice I can give you is a personal story. So when I started out, My style was more Zeppelin, and although I love Zeppelin, I got really tired of it. I was listening to more Hendrix and The Strokes, and Arctic Monkeys, and I wanted to sound more like those guys. So I started learning lots and lots of all three of their musics, studying their riffs and song construction. Now when I write something (years later), it sort of just works out that it's close to at least one of those three (although the Zeppelin pokes out sometimes still), because all those riffs and ideas are programmed into my brain and it's just how it comes out (style-wise) when I get an idea.

Dunno if that helped
Quote by kthxbi
hi there,
first off - sorry if this is in the wrong forum. this was the closest i thought i could get to a sensible place to post it.

question is a pretty simple one - musically, when working in a band, the music i write isn't particularly similar to what i listen to at all. my favourite musician is elliott smith and i love a lot of hyper melodic things like that, 60's girl group stuff too, but the vast majority of what i listen to is punk - 80s hardcore, folk punk, that sorta thing.

when in a band, however, i think i come out sounding a lot more grunge / rock. i grew up on grunge so i don't think that this is such a terrible thing, but does anyone else have any experience like this? i'm getting worried that even though it's a lot of fun to play and is what comes naturally to me, if it's not necessarily music which i myself listen to these days, is there a problem here? is this something i should look to fix?

thanks,
f

maybe you have inhibitions about playing the music you listen to. i used to be the same way. i was kind of a jeff buckly/john mayer sounding guy but i didn't really listen to them. in fact, i never even knew who jeff buckly was. but i listen to a lot of classic rock and blues. eventually i started to have more confidence in myself and my abilities and now i can write rock and blues songs like i wanted to write in the past but felt silly doing. unfortunately, i don't really know how to teach you to do this. personally, i have a toke and it helps me get into the music by lowering my inhibitions about myself. and now i find i can tap into it without it. i'm not condoning drug use, i use it for personal reasons that are off topic.

one thing you can try is put on some music you like, and play along with them. or just play them by yourself. then try to maybe blend two parts of two different riffs together, play them backwards, change them slightly, change them tempo or how long you sustain certain notes. i find if i'm just jamming usually something comes out of it. but doing it with songs you listen to might help you write something in that style. try and picture yourself as the lead singer or whatever in your favorite band. sometimes when i write i like to make up a character in my mind, or maybe pretend i'm david bowie. when i pretend i'm bowie, my inhibitions drop and i feel like a rock god and everything i do is sexy lol. sounds silly but it works. if you listen to certain artists long enough you start to pick up on their style of songwriting. hope that helps a bit
as long as you enjoy and are proud of what you made be happy
i listen to a lot of bands like Radiohead, Naked and Famous, Coldplay, Muse, U2 and The Killers, but my music ends up sounding like Drake :s