Hey all,

I'm an intermediate guitar player, playing lead guitar (Jackson Rhodes V w/ Seymour Duncan's) in a metal band with a few of my mates. I've been searching for a decent MFX board and my rhythm guitarist is constantly recommending the HD500, yet he doesn't own nor has played with one so im a bit iffy. I've read alot of reviews and it's very much a "love it or hate it" reception.

I'm not too fussed on the amp modeling, I'm using a Line 6 Spider Jam 1x75 Watt Combo which I'm pretty happy with, I'm just after something that can give me some great fx options as opposed to individual pedals.

I was initially going to buy a Dime Crybaby from Hell and a few Boss pedals (chorus, digital delay etc) when my band mate advised me to buy a HD500.

Any advice or alternatives would be appreciated.
If you don't need amp modelling, get a TC Electronic Nova system, far superior effects and a great drive in there too. Just add a wah & tuner and you should be done

Even if you do need amp modelling, I'm not a fan of the HD500, it sounds very fake to me, especially in a 'live' situation. I think it only sounds decent when used for recording.
Spiders do not work well with FX of any kind (that are not built in)

Spend the $400 on a used Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Spiders do not work well with FX of any kind (that are not built in)

Spend the $400 on a used Peavey 6505+ 1x12 combo

How so? You'd think Line 6 would make their products compatible with each other, more so than others.
Quote by Drop C Monster
How so? You'd think Line 6 would make their products compatible with each other, more so than others.

You would think so, but Trust me I have owned several L6 amps over the years and the spider does not accept FX/MFX very well at all, the onboard FX sound better.

The other L6 amps actually work just fine with outboard FX units. For some reason the Spider series does not

Do you have the FBV controller for the spider?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You would think so, but Trust me I have owned several L6 amps over the years and the spider does not accept FX/MFX very well at all, the onboard FX sound better.

The other L6 amps actually work just fine with outboard FX units. For some reason the Spider series does not

Do you have the FBV controller for the spider?

Yeah, the FBV is on the right side of the amp which had me thinking it would be fine. Think ill buy one, and even if it doesn't handle well, I'll sell the spider and use the modeling via a p.a and buy a peavey/randall stack or something.
Set the Spider to the cleanest setting and the EQ knobs at 12 o'clock. Use the amp models of the POD, they are much better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Set the Spider to the cleanest setting and the EQ knobs at 12 o'clock. Use the amp models of the POD, they are much better.

This is the kind of advice I was after. And would you reccomend new or used? They go for between $550 - $700 but a quick eBay search brings up a few reasonably priced ones which state not much use. Any negatives in buying used?
I bought mine used off ebay half a year ago for $380 and haven't had any problems with mine. As an added plus, there were already a bunch of decent patches on it from the last guy that I could play around with it while I learned how to make my own. Just try to find one that doesn't look all scratched up and preferably get one that comes with the power supply and usb cable.
Quote by Drop C Monster
This is the kind of advice I was after. And would you reccomend new or used? They go for between $550 - $700 but a quick eBay search brings up a few reasonably priced ones which state not much use. Any negatives in buying used?

The POD HD500 is only $499 new and that is from the big stores Used you can get them for $200-$250 www.guitacenter.com/usedgear

I buy a lot of my gear used and have almost always never had problems. If you order from GC used site you get 30 days to return the item so it is a safe bet that way
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate