Im trying to write some thrash stuff, and im quite satisfied with my riffs, but i just cant seem to write shred solos, or when i do it just really shows that it popped out of a rhythm guitarist brain, because it isnt essentially some crazy movearound in some sort of scale (although i know scales well enough for this), but its more like a progression, unusual and sometimes polyrhythmic 3 note arpeggios, and grinding on the same three notes with some chromatic alternation of one or all notes here and there. My brain wont thrash the way i want to, my technique is better than my mind. I always had problems with my lead playing like to this. As if my mind wouldnt consider guitars to be made for soloing too, and not only riffing. This all applies to my improvisation and spontanity attempts. I have been playing for 3 years now, is what I wrote normal? (i can play for example the damage inc. solo just fine, along with some others)
That is extremely normal if you've been focusing on Thrash, because, in the grand scheme of things, Thrash solos aren't really anything special in a lot of cases. Of course, some bands are an exception, like Megadeth, Evile and sometimes Kreator, but, on the whole, Thrash isn't the most lead orientated subgenre. If you want to use scale runs at high speeds and all that, why not look at how solos are constructed in Power Metal? Love them or hate them, Dragonforce are a great band to study if you want to see how you can make a coherent solo out of mad scale runs, they really know how to build and release tension, Hammerfall have some less insane solos and often go for something technical, yet melodic, which might be appealing, there's also Rhapsody of Fire, who have a more classical approach to soloing, there are a wealth of bands that can be studied to help you achieve what you need to, iconic as they may be, Metallica's style of soloing would be seen as outdated if they had come out today, as Thrash has evolved and so has technique, and studying the more lead orientated subgenres will keep you up to date with any advances.
Thanks I actually used to listen to a lot of power and neo-classical metal, but i never would have thought that it would be just the thing I need to get better. Ill just gear up then, i have work to do
Maybe you should try planning out your solos before you play them. For example, say you're in E minor (a common key in Thrash really). Well, what can you do in E minor? Anything really, so the question becomes...what do you want to do? Plan it all out and make revisions based on whether you like how it sounds or not.