I was internet window shopping today for new guitar (not gonna getting one in a LONG while, but i like to look at potenial new guitars) and came across PRS's they look freaking AWESOME!

But what i wanna know is what people's expierances are with them; also i currently have a Roland 20XL Amp and if i was nly to upgrade my guitar, would it still sound decent through a fairly cheap solid state modelling amp?
It would sound almost exactly the same as what you're putting through it now.

For the love of God and all that is holy, don't buy a $3000 PRS and put it through a cube. You'll make puppies cry.

You don't want to make the puppies cry do you?

Upgrade your amp first, then upgrade the guitar.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well if you went second hand you could afford a better amp as well as your nice new PRS.

Assuming you're talking about the US made ones.

Personally I have only ever had positive experiences with PRS guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
PRS makes a quality guitar, definitely a maker well worth considering across the board.

...but it won't matter how good your guitar is playing through an inexpensive amp. That's where most of your tonal quality comes from.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Ahh ok, so if i'm looking at spending £700 on a PRS what price range of amp should i be looking at?
It's up to you, mate. But generally, the more money, the better.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ok so you're looking at the SE range?

Good stuff.

A 2nd hand SE CU24 should leave you enough left for a half decent little amp...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Like i said i'm not gonna be getting one of these for a LONG while yet, in 3 years maybe when i'm no longer a student and earn enough and i was looking at the Custom 24 and as for amp, that's where i have no knowleage really, hense why i got a modelling amp
Quote by Tcrumpen
Like i said i'm not gonna be getting one of these for a LONG while yet, in 3 years maybe when i'm no longer a student and earn enough and i was looking at the Custom 24 and as for amp, that's where i have no knowleage really, hense why i got a modelling amp

What do you play? What settings on your cube do you use the most?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
What do you play? What settings on your cube do you use the most?

For the most part right now i tend to play more heavy rock / metal, using the Metal Stack or Extreme settings on my amp, with bass around 6/7, mids at about 3 treble around 8, with the Solo mode on a either bit of reverb or delay.

When i play something calmer (like Chasing Cars) i tend to keep the same EQs, maybe tweak them slightly and adding in more or less of the reverb or delay

Using a Tokai SG on the Bridge pickup of course
Quote by Tcrumpen
Ahh ok, so if i'm looking at spending £700 on a PRS what price range of amp should i be looking at?

Well, that depends on a couple of things:

1) your own personal skill level & talent- beyond a certain point, even though the quality is still improving, you won't be able to tell the difference unless your ears are very sensitive.

2) your performance needs- if you are just playing for personal enjoyment and don't intend to gig, a small to moderate (40w or less), well-made combo amp is probably all you will ever need. If you're gigging or seriously going pro, you may need something else. Still, a lot of pro players do just fine with a moderate sized tube combo amp.

3) your own personal hassle tolerance- I know guys (myself included) who don't want to deal with amps & cabs, and so they just stick to combo amps.

My personal take on it is that most people can find nirvana in a new amp in the £100-500 range.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, that depends on a couple of things:

1) your own personal skill level & talent- beyond a certain point, even though the quality is still improving, you won't be able to tell the difference unless your ears are very sensitive.

2) your performance needs- if you are just playing for personal enjoyment and don't intend to gig, a small to moderate (40w or less), well-made combo amp is probably all you will ever need. If you're gigging or seriously going pro, you may need something else. Still, a lot of pro players do just fine with a moderate sized tube combo amp.

3) your own personal hassle tolerance- I know guys (myself included) who don't want to deal with amps & cabs, and so they just stick to combo amps.

My personal take on it is that most people can find nirvana in a new amp in the £100-500 range.

1) Right now i'd class myself as an intermidate player (only just though)
2) Right now i only do it for personal enjoyment although i may want to be in a band later on
3) I like to be hands on in terms of fiddling with settings to a certain extent but only a moderate amount, heads and cabs to be just seem to much hassle right now
I was looking at getting a PRS SE Tremonti because it looked sexy. I couldn't afford it though, would have been a little dumb playing it through a Peavey Vypyr 15w though right?
Quote by Tcrumpen
1) Right now i'd class myself as an intermidate player (only just though)
2) Right now i only do it for personal enjoyment although i may want to be in a band later on
3) I like to be hands on in terms of fiddling with settings to a certain extent but only a moderate amount, heads and cabs to be just seem to much hassle right now

In that case, I'd look for a combo tube amp in the 30-50w range, from a brand that makes amps typical of your preferred genres. That should cover most of your bases.

I currently have a Fender HRD combo (40w, 1x12) as my sole amp. Its cleans are stellar, and I can muck up the tones with all kinds of effects. It has more power than I'll ever need, since I never plan on being in a band. But I know from the experiences of my teacher hat it could handle a gig no problem: he's a gigging pro and studio/session player- his Fender HRD is is go-to amp for most of his work.

However, great as it is, it won't do heavier subgenres of metal convincingly, so I'm looking to buy a similarly powerful Orange tube combo. I know that may cost me as much as $1300 if I buy a new one...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TinyTerr112/

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TH30Combo/

Still thinking.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
In that case, I'd look for a combo tube amp in the 30-50w range, from a brand that makes amps typical of your preferred genres. That should cover most of your bases.

I currently have a Fender HRD combo (40w, 1x12) as my sole amp. Its cleans are stellar, and I can muck up the tones with all kinds of effects. It has more power than I'll ever need, since I never plan on being in a band. But I know from the experiences of my teacher hat it could handle a gig no problem: he's a gigging pro and studio/session player- his Fender HRD is is go-to amp for most of his work.

However, great as it is, it won't do heavier subgenres of metal convincingly, so I'm looking to buy a similarly powerful Orange tube combo. I know that may cost me as much as $1300 if I buy a new one...

Still thinking.

Looks like i need to make a guitar bucket list :P
Quote by Tcrumpen
Looks like i need to make a guitar bucket list :P

The Orange isn't necessary, it's just something I really want.

There are lots of brands out there, aimed at the metal market. Not all are as pricey as Orange...and, of course, some are much more expensive.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Orange isn't necessary, it's just something I really want.

There are lots of brands out there, aimed at the metal market. Not all are as pricey as Orange...and, of course, some are much more expensive.

Yeah i have no idea where to look in terms of Amps, guitars i'm slightly better with but Amps i have no idea what could really bring out the potenial of the guitar ...
I have a friend who swears by PRS - he's always recommending them to me and talking about them. I've played some of the lower-end models and they seem to be quality guitars with great playability. Personally, I don't like the look of them, but I guess that's just my taste.
Quote by Tcrumpen
Using a Tokai SG on the Bridge pickup of course

aww hell yeah.

my experience is PRS guitars are consistently well made guitars.

i'd probably not pay "new" prices for one, ever. ymmv. i just prefer used bargains to having new car smell.

metal and rock type stuff? depends on budget and what "metal" but a JCM2000 DSL401 may work for you?

being in the UK you can actually get some better pricing on marshalls and orange than we can get here.

i'll let others more familiar with what is available by you chime in.

from a fellow tokai owner!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
being in the UK you can actually get some better pricing on marshalls and orange than we can get here.

Oh yeah- good point!

Don't forget Laney Greg
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Don't forget Laney Greg

and engl.

cornfords too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm selling a Fender Super 60!

It's a great amp, like a little twin! £300.

Just saying.
Quote by Mephaphil
I'm selling a Fender Super 60!

It's a great amp, like a little twin! £300.

Just saying.

i don't have nearly enough money right now, i mean if i rough price it up, i'm looking at about £1000 + to get both the guitar AND and the amp
I've played a PRS or two. They make great guitars. Quality Control from them is unbeatable IMHO.
Yeah dude, get a new amp. Id suggest the Blackstar HT-20 or Jet City JCA20H
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Is there anyone else on this entire forum who dislikes PRS? I feel like I'm going mad over here
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Is there anyone else on this entire forum who dislikes PRS? I feel like I'm going mad over here

Nope im not the biggest fan either. Beautiful guitars and the quality is obvious, but i've never really played a PRS whose neck i liked. A lot of them also have a "weird" kind of quality to their tone. I dont know how to describe it, maybe it sounded too..."middy"?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬