Hey guys,
I was planning on buying a 50W tube head/combo. I am currently looking at Mark IV and Express 550 plus (both Mesa) and my budget is around 1200. I am a huge JP fan and I was wondering which one would be better. Also, I have a guitar processor which I always use. This probably means I wouldn't need too many channels or tweaks in the amp. The amp is for home use, a bit of recording and medium sized gigs. Also, my other guitarist uses a 100W solid state, and I am the lead (so mine has to be a tiny bit louder for solos) would the 50W tube amp suffice? Thanks a lot for the help guys!!
I think the Mark IV is the better amp, the cleans sound more articulate and the distortion is clearer. I havent really liked the Express series much tbh because the distortion tends to get fizzy imo. A 50w tube amp is more than enough to drown out most of what comes your way (that includes your bandmates SS amp) so dont worry about volume in that regard.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC
Hey man. Thanks a lot!
I had another question, whether I should go for the head or the combo. As I said, that I have a processor as well. Like how would that come into play. Because I normally have my SS in clean and run all presets through my processor. Thanks again.
Regarding combo vs head.....it will have to come down to how portable you want your gigging gear to be. The combo is normally all you'll need since most places will mic up the amp to the PA. You also have the option to connect extension cabs to the combo should you want to do so. That being said, i am a fan of just getting the head and a 2x12 cab because a 2x12 will have a fuller sound than a combo amp with one speaker.

If you get the footswitch (which i highly suggest you do) you wont have a need to use your processor imo. The amp itself has a ridiculous amount of tonal options, 3 channels with 3 different settings for each for a total of 9 distinct sounds. My next amp will most likely be a Mark series amp precisely because of that.

If youre a huge fan of JP you will love this amp profoundly.
Guitars:
-Carvin CS6
-Carvin DC4 w/ Bigsby
-Takamine EG530SC
-Seagull S12QI

Amps:
-Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
-Carvin V3MC