Page 1 of 2
I want the opinion of people who know anything about their use. At my university some psychology students were doing some tests but I couldn't see anything in most of those blots. So what's their use? Are people supposed to guess something and the thing that comes in their mind earliest probably demonstrates that their sexual addicts or what? What does it mean if I just see a random blot?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I want the opinion of people who know anything about their use. At my university some psychology students were doing some tests but I couldn't see anything in most of those blots. So what's their use? Are people supposed to guess something and the thing that comes in their mind earliest probably demonstrates that their sexual addicts or what? What does it mean if I just see a random blot?

From my understanding it can reveal mental patterns. If I say they look like vaginas every time, or something sexual every time it could show that I see sex in everything.

The patterns are completely random and meaningless. The point is to see if your mind makes its own pattern.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It's actually a test designed in the wake of the Keene Act of 1977. If you didn't say anything when presented with the blot, you were fine. If you replied to the blot with "OH HEY-HEY!" it was obvious that you knew Rorschach and therefore was also a Watchman.
Quote by BladeSlinger
From my understanding it can reveal mental patterns. If I say they look like vaginas every time, or something sexual every time it could show that I see sex in everything.

The patterns are completely random and meaningless. The point is to see if your mind makes its own pattern.

What if your mind makes no own patterns? I felt like an idiot for most of the cards for not seeing anything in them.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Rohrschach tests are a bunch of bullshit. They say nothing about fear, or the person's true face. You can hang up tests on the streets from the tallest buildings to the gutters, and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."
The shapes are general enough that your mind will fill in some blanks and make some assumptions on its own. It reveals subconscious patterns (like bladeslinger said), mental imprinting, and unconscious motivations (very general ones obvs).

But you do have to look at a bunch of them. The whole point is that the shapes are almost always general enough that someone could easily use the inkblot itself to represent almost anything their mind decides.

I agree that it makes sense, that a rorschach test would be able to reveal some of the subject's psyche, and I think there are some cases where the results are valid, but the results are often too general from which to draw well-grounded conjecture.
Quote by Neo Evil11
What if your mind makes no own patterns? I felt like an idiot for most of the cards for not seeing anything in them.

Then you have double AIDS cancer.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
In the first lecture of my first year psych class the prof emphasized the importance of critical thinking. This was one of the many things he made a case for being a BS test.
A bunch of pseudoscience non-sense.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
So all of you doubt that a series of inkblots, for which a 6 year old child only sees morbid violence and death, doesn't actually indicate anything about said child?
Quote by whywefight
I want one

Anyway, let's get to the actual point of this thread:

what do you guys see?

2 demons (with horns) face to face

EDIT: only the heads are showing though
Quote by whywefight
I want one

what do you guys see?

A mask-like face or a lobster.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by progdude93
So all of you doubt that a series of inkblots, for which a 6 year old child only sees morbid violence and death, doesn't actually indicate anything about said child?

A child sees morbid violence and death in everything.
Quote by progdude93

I think it does. I have just read the book Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and he states that the brain is divided into two systems. The first system is fast thinking and quickly uses your stereotypical memories to find order in the thing you are seeing. If this is true than ofcourse looking at blots and having certain things come to mind quicker, would mean something... I suppose.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by azrael667
A child sees morbid violence and death in everything.

What the **** kind of childhood did you have? If you can't say that you're being abused, type out four sentences, with the first sentence starting with H, second with E, third with L, fourth with P.
Quote by progdude93

Maybe the child is smart enough to play the psychologist?

Or maybe it isn't a child at all. I've seen The Orphan, and that Warwick Davis fellow.
Quote by whywefight
I want one

what do you guys see?

Quote by progdude93
2 demons (with horns) face to face

EDIT: only the heads are showing though

No, clearly their erect wangs are touching in the middle, and there's a crab-like thing either in front of or behind them.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I think it does. I have just read the book Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman and he states that the brain is divided into two systems. The first system is fast thinking and quickly uses your stereotypical memories to find order in the thing you are seeing. If this is true than ofcourse looking at blots and having certain things come to mind quicker, would mean something... I suppose.

Yes. The results are probably usually not usable or useful. But sometimes they can be.
Quote by progdude93
What the **** kind of childhood did you have? If you can't say that you're being abused, type out four sentences, with the first sentence starting with H, second with E, third with L, fourth with P.

Kids do see violence in a lot of things but it's a certain kind of violence.

A kid seeing a very specific or especially morbid type of violence would be bad.

A kid seeing violence could be perfectly normal. Kids are weird.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Kids do see violence in a lot of things but it's a certain kind of violence.

A kid seeing a very specific or especially morbid type of violence would be bad.

A kid seeing violence could be perfectly normal. Kids are weird.

Hence why I specified morbidity....
Quote by progdude93
Yes. The results are probably usually not usable or useful. But sometimes they can be.

The guy got a nobel prize so I can't argue with it.

As usual in the social sciences it doesn't work everytime, unfortunately.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I see the face of a giant ant from fallout
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by progdude93

That's right. What if the kid was just having a bad day? What if he was lying to sound edgy and cool like so many kids do?

If you have any sense at all then you'll know how to answer these questions to achieve whatever outcome you want.
Quote by whywefight
I want one

what do you guys see?

pseudo-symmetry
Quote by whywefight
I want one

what do you guys see?

Quote by progdude93

They usually aren't consistent enough to be reliable.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by metal4eva_22

Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by whywefight
I want one

what do you guys see?

a queen. with chicken and seahorse attendants. those things at the bottom are seahorse poo.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by metal4eva_22
That's right. What if the kid was just having a bad day? What if he was lying to sound edgy and cool like so many kids do?

If you have any sense at all then you'll know how to answer these questions to achieve whatever outcome you want.

I've said numerous times in this thread that the results are usually not usable or useful. But if you're assuming everyone's a lying shit, then that invalidates just about every survey ever done it's not just rorschachs.

The reason the results usually aren't useful is because the test doesn't answer why the subject saw what he/she did. But that can sometimes be obvious, given the individual subject's history and characteristics.

Nobody claims the rorschach test on its own tells you at length the details of one's deepest darkest self. But when used in conjunction with other information, it CAN be helpful.
if i recall correctly, rorschach tests have only been known in "the literature" to show significant nonrandom results when diagnosing schizophrenics, but even then it's part of a larger battery of tests (as most psychological tests, on their own, aren't particularly useful).

related:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxy4iRO_74k
Aren't they used like a cold reading thing? There are no right or wrong answers people are just watching your reactions (facial movements, body language and then the actual verbal reply). Like graphology, tarot cards and palm reading.
OUT OF ORDER
Quote by whywefight
I want one

what do you guys see?

A man being sacrificed on top of a mountain to appease me.
I have no doubt that the test reveals more about the individual administering it than the individual being tested.

Unless there are standardised answers with empirical basis (like correlations between specific answers and specific clinical conditions or personality traits), you're just uncovering the biases of the therapist/psychometrist.

The person administering the test decides the importance of the answers- It is he, not the patient/testee who determines whether the spider (for example) the he saw was threatening or not.
Last edited by TooktheAtrain at Jul 15, 2013,
Quote by TooktheAtrain
I have no doubt that the test reveals more about the individual administering it than the individual being tested.

Unless there are standardised answers with empirical basis (like correlations between specific answers and specific clinical conditions or personality traits), you're just uncovering the biases of the therapist/psychometrist.

The person administering the test decides the importance of the answers- It is he, not the patient/testee who determines whether the spider (for example) the he saw was threatening or not.

Did not think of that. I agree.
Page 1 of 2